Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in some trouble...

..and it has to do with my amp.

Last Thursday at a gig my amp cut out. The signal just stopped halfway into the set. So I haven't touched my amp since Thursday until a few minutes ago annnnd its still not making noise. It turns on and its not my guitar because I've plugged it into 2 different amps since Thursday and it works fine. I think the problem is where you plug in the cable to go from the head to the cab because I noticed it was warm when I touched it Thursday night. Could a solder have come undone inside the head? I need help on this quick.

Thanks guys.
    88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
    Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
    Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
    Vox NightTrain 50.
    My Band

Re: I'm in some trouble...

First check all of the fuses. Some amps have fuses on the circuit board as well as the main power fuse (where the AC cord attaches).

Pull the amp out of the case and check the speaker jack and its connections. Have you tried plugging the amp into another cab? Maybe it's a connection in your cab.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
      ..and it has to do with my amp.

Last Thursday at a gig my amp cut out. The signal just stopped halfway into the set. So I haven't touched my amp since Thursday until a few minutes ago annnnd its still not making noise. It turns on and its not my guitar because I've plugged it into 2 different amps since Thursday and it works fine. I think the problem is where you plug in the cable to go from the head to the cab because I noticed it was warm when I touched it Thursday night. Could a solder have come undone inside the head? I need help on this quick.

Thanks guys.
      Take the amp to a tech! Don't go poking around inside there if you don't know what you are doing. It could be a tube, but the best thing is to take it to a tech!
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

+1
        the caps in there have dangerous voltages
        and could kill you dead

that would seriously affect your guitar playing

please say you aren’t using an instrument cable to connect the head to the cab
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
          Take the amp to a tech! Don't go poking around inside there if you don't know what you are doing. It could be a tube, but the best thing is to take it to a tech!
          If it's the Randall RG-100 in his sig, I think that's a solid state amp.
          After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I got it fixed. The send and return in the effects loop were dirty so all I had to do was spray them a bit and now everything is fine.
            Last edited by dmandude123455; 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM.
            Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
            Vox NightTrain 50.
            My Band

Comment

Edit (9/17/12): The amp is goofing up again. I'm going to have a tech look at it this week. If this keeps on happening I'm just gonna save up for a Blackstar HT-50.

Anyone have any ideas for stuff I could do to maybe fix this without spending too much cash? Could it maybe be that the cab I'm running doesn't match up at far as the Ohms are concerned? The Amp is 8 ohms. I'm not too keen on the whole ohms deal so some help with that would be really nice.
              Vox NightTrain 50.
              My Band

Comment

dont buy a new amp. just take it to a good tech and get it diagnosed and serviced.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
                  Edit (9/17/12): The amp is goofing up again. I'm going to have a tech look at it this week. If this keeps on happening I'm just gonna save up for a Blackstar HT-50.

Anyone have any ideas for stuff I could do to maybe fix this without spending too much cash? Could it maybe be that the cab I'm running doesn't match up at far as the Ohms are concerned? The Amp is 8 ohms. I'm not too keen on the whole ohms deal so some help with that would be really nice.
                  If the last time it was the effect loop send/return, it could just be any or all the input jacks... try spraying them all out with contact cleaner and just put a jack in/out several times. It could just be carbon build up.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                  X