Retrovalves Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrovalves Review

NOTE: This is a first look, first impression review. There is hopefully MUCH more to come in the following days and weeks. I am NOT being paid for this. I can keep them and pay for them or I can send them back, my choice. That was the deal I made with them.

Wow, I'm actually quite surprised by the initial runs with these Retrovalves. I put one blue one (which is supposed to have below average gain attributed it...so I suppose a "Clean tube"...in V1 and one amber one (average gain) in V2 in my Jet City JCA22H. The two slots cover the crunch channel on the amp, with V3 and V4 being the distortion channel and V5 being the PI.

So the first thing I do is play for about 30 minutes with my guitar straight into the amp and no effects added, with brand new Tunsgol 12AX7's in V1 thru V5. I'm playing stuff that I always play on the crunch channel only and getting a good feel for the volume versus velocity, intonation, how well the notes separate, which strings are singing out when I chord. I set the crunch channel on 4 and the crunch's master volume on the same, which is comfortable for the room and not pushing the amp in any way. I shut it all down, let it cool for 20 minutes then swapped out V1 and V2 for the blue and amber, as stated above. I warmed the amp up in standby for 5 minutes, watching the RV's (Retrovalves) come to life in back. The blue one glows blue through the plastic cover and the amber one is amber in color. I hit a tentative G chord and my eyebrows went up immediately. I had gained about 15-20db in volume (just a guess) just by swapping out the tubes and the chord was crisp and clear. I went through a series of chords and a few routines just to get a feel for it all and I was pretty satisfied. There's good note separation at the gain level I was playing at, the gain had gone up just a little along with the volume, and the gain seemed to break nicely as I added velocity. More velocity correctly added more gain/distortion and volume. The sustain was good but 'maybe' just a little less than the Tungsols. That was my initial impression but I haven't yet tested that out. I sometimes like a little honk in my high pitched chords and my midrange today reflects that - dropping into D's I got a little more honk out of it than I would have with the Tungsols, that much is certain. I have NOT yet touched a single knob. I haven't raised the volume or gain or moved the EQ. I'm not hearing any muddiness, no buzzing, the strings sing out...there needs to be some EQ cutting for sure but so too with the Tungsols, and the clarity is excellent. My first impression at this point is that if I had to play this setup with these settings for the rest of my days, I could definitely do worse. (More Below)

I'll be adding more information as I explore this configuration more and even more information when I move into the distortion channel and then finally one in each channel. I wish that Mayor Doug had sent me a red one since I know a lot of you appreciate max gain. More coming, and if I acquire the ability to make a decent recording, I'll definitely get some audio or video up!

(One final thought ...the music seems to have more body to it, as if there's just a touch of delay added or there's some EQ-ing going on inside the RV's...or something. For the volume and gain it's sitting at, it's punching better than the Tungsols. It's beefy. Interesting. -Rod-
    2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Heritage Cherry Sunburst
    Gibson 2010 Flood Anniversary Les Paul, Blue Swirl

Jet City JCA22H Full Stack
    BOSS GT-10 effects

Re: Retrovalves Review

I wouldn't use all tungsols for all 5 to start with, V1 only. Just saying like to hear comparision video would be cool.
    tone slut
    Marshall DSL 40C
    Fender EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
    Fender Squier Tele Affinity
    Mogami cables

Comment

So cool man, I remember seein a video on this over a year ago and have been wondering about them.

Keep telling us about them!

I'm an all tung-sol guy also; however I still can't imagine putting real tubes in a tube socket...not yet anyway.

Comment

cool man, thanks. Where do you get these things - online, dealers...?

Comment

Currently, I think you can only get them direct from Jet City.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com/store/

Comment

Wait, so they aren't real tubes or what?

Comment

Originally posted by nedcronin View Post
              Wait, so they aren't real tubes or what?
              No, they are NOT! They are pin-for-pin replacements for 12AX7's -Rod-

BOSS GT-10 effects

Comment

Retrovalves Review Part II

Here's the RV's in V2 and V3. with the gainy one in V2, and the Tungsol 12AX7 placed back into V1.

This was a very cool configuration to play with. In the previous configuration, the volume was enhanced as was the distortion to some extent, but when I turned the crunch channel up, it didn't seem to have more crunch than before, though definitely more punch and a definite boost in the body of the music.

Today's experiment was a whole different animal Not only did I get an additional volume boost but also got a huge boost in the low end. Think of a low E played on a trombone, if you will. Then think of that same note played on a tuba. THAT is pretty much what I got today. The guitar sounded absolutely ponderous. Prehistoric dinosaur, ponderous. Ozzy would LOVE this sound ad it became really ominous sounding when the crunch was turned up to about 7 or 8. Lots of crunch in there, too much for my taste, really, but if I wanted to raise the hairs on people's necks with deep, OMINOUS tones, this is what I'd use to do it and with TONS of sustain as well. And this doesn't sound like digital nonsense either. It's clear as glass, so to speak, pun intended and the sound is THICK. There was a hitch though. When I stepped on the footswitch to go into overdrive, I got nothing in return. Stepping back to the crunch channel, all was well, back to OD, nothing. The OD channel was working previously...though the amp did just get back from Robert Perales about 10 days ago, having had a dead bias pot replaced. So in a few minutes when the tubes have cooled I'll put the glass back in and make sure all is still okay with the OD channel. It may be that putting that underpowered RV in V3 was something the amp didn't like, or...I don't know. There will definitely be an update in just a few minutes. Honestly, so far, I'm liking these. They have brought out tones and volume that the stock 22H simply doesn't have, especially the prehistoric stuff tonight. I could get wood from this! -Rod-

BOSS GT-10 effects

Comment

UPDATE:

All is well I put the Tungsols back in V2 and V3 and the OD is back to it's old self again. Something about the configuration of the RV's splitting the two channels seemed to disagree with the amp. I'm guessing that I need to match slots, not end one channel with an RV and begin another with an RV, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow when I play with it all some more.

While I was back in the all-tube config, I turned the crunch up and tried to get that prehistoric sound out of the amp and no way. The basic flavor of it was there but not the sheer magnitude of it. Fascinating. -Rod-

BOSS GT-10 effects

Comment

nice review so you bought 2? amp still remains warm but better huh?
                    tone slut
                    Marshall DSL 40C
                    Mogami cables

Comment

These things are too cool. I remember a while back there was a company trying to sell these similar kinds of tube-replacements for ridiculous kinds of coin; nice to see a company release these with a moderate pricetag. For $90, the mix of the 3 styles would be an interesting kit to get. I bet there are tones you could get that you'd never even think of from these things.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

tone king did a demo, sounded like the rectro valves didn't jive to much with me. They sounded more processed, prb they way he set the amp up who knows.
                        tone slut
                        Marshall DSL 40C
                        Mogami cables

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                          tone king did a demo, sounded like the rectro valves didn't jive to much with me. They sounded more processed, prb they way he set the amp up who knows.
                          Trouble is, videos and audios compress the data so it never sounds right. These definitely do not sound processed to me and I've had numerous modeling amps and quite a few pedalboards...GNX4, GT-10, etc. To me they sound like tubes but a lot fatter in tone, at least by tonight's experiment, than what you might be used to. Since I don't play much in the way of really high gain stuff, the work coming up may not be too useful as I can't really judge it. From what little I've tasted so far, I think the metal heads might just smile at these...and I don't even have a red one here! -Rod-

BOSS GT-10 effects

Comment

WOW!!!! This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. Might have to try some of these!!
                            Guitars:EJ Strat, PRS SE Bernie Marsden (with Bare Knuckle Mules), PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd (with Joe Satriani set) PRS SE Zach Myers (Totally Customized for me with Dimarzio Air Classics),Carvin CS6, Gretsch 5422, Taylor 612 ce. Amp:Limited Edition Blues Junior (W/ Eminence Canibis-Rex Speaker ). Effects: Fulltone Full-drive Mosfet 2, Strymon Timeline, TC Electronic Vortex Flanger, Golden Cello Distortion Pedal.

"I am not ashamed of the good news of JESUS CHRIST"
                            CHRIST

Comment

I could see those being pretty fun to play around with. I think the best use would be to replace the phase inverter tube. It's the tube that effects the tone the least and is run harder than the other preamp tubes. I bet you could gain some headroom and volume by using the red high-gain one.

They would also be good for troubleshooting amps since they are guaranteed to be low noise and non-microphonic, so you could completely remove the tubes from the equation.
                              Last edited by schecterplayer; 08-10-2012, 05:34 AM.
                              Originally posted by ratherdashing
                              If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Working...
                              X