banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall DSL 401... in a smaller package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall DSL 401... in a smaller package?

I really miss the clean channel on my old Marshall DSL 401 (and before that the 201) combo amp. Those little combos had the perfect clean tone to my ears. It was super warm, woody, has just enough chime but was not too bright or bouncy, and worked great with single coils and humbuckers.

If you have played a DSL 401 or 201 and know the tone I am talking about, do you also know of an amp that has a similar tone, but takes up less floor space? Space is at a premium in my little cabin, or I would just buy another DSL 401.

Please don't throw out a million random suggestions of your favorite combos if you have never played the 401/201's. I am only looking for tone similar to that amp's clean channel, and it is very unlike anything else Marshall has made. The DSL 50 and 100 had good clean tones, but even they were not the same as the 401/201.

Thanks,
    B

Re: Marshall DSL 401... in a smaller package?

the footprint of pretty much any 1x12 combo or even head/1x12 box is pretty much the same, so you might as well get the amp you like.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thats what I'm saying though. I can't fit another standard sized marshal combo in the space I have left, so I am looking for something smaller. There are a lot of little combos that are smaller than the Marshall DSL 401. It doesn't have to be a 12 inch speaker, as long as the tone is similar.

Comment

Postulating and wondering if a Class 5 or Blues Jr or other EL84 combo wont come close?
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Marshall have just announced a new range of DSLs, including a 15 watt combo and head. Check out the Marshall site.
          http://www.lonephantom.com
          http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
            Marshall have just announced a new range of DSLs, including a 15 watt combo and head. Check out the Marshall site.
            IMO that's better than the original DSL 401, I hated the spongy EL84's on the original , I'm curious how the 6v6's sound

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              Postulating and wondering if a Class 5 or Blues Jr or other EL84 combo wont come close?
              My experience with the Class 5 is that there is very little clean headroom.

Comment

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
                Why do you tempt my tummy with the taste of nuts and honey?! Some of those look awesome man! What a great idea on their part. Super curious to try one.

Last edited by DankStar; 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                  IMO that's better than the original DSL 401, I hated the spongy EL84's on the original , I'm curious how the 6v6's sound
                  Only thing I'm not digging about this 6v6 15 watter is no fx loop
                  When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

I notice the new DSLs have no clean channel, the two channels are Classic Gain and Ultra Gain.

I guess you don't buy a Marshall for the clean tones...

Comment

I just picked up a used Marshall Haze 40 watt, great clean channel! nice over drive also.
                      tone slut
                      Marshall DSL 40C
                      Fender EVH Striped Series
                      Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                      Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                      Mogami cables

Comment

Hmmmmm.... That new 15/7.5 watt DSL combo looks interesting. May not be the tone I'm after at the moment, but I do like 6v6 amps.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                          Actually, I just saw this on Musicians Friend web site- the new DSL 401's will have 2 EL34's, rather than the 4 EL84's I hated on the originals

Shop the best selection of Marshall DSL amplifiers: ✅ guaranteed low price, ✅ free shipping, ✅ 0% financing, ✅ 8% back in rewards.

Also, I didn't like that the original lacked a presence control. These new ones have both presence AND resonance controls (I saw one in Guitar Center, didn't get a chance to play it). My obly gripe is the the originals were a compact size, these new DSL 401 combos are pretty big, almost as wide as a 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah View Post
                            I notice the new DSLs have no clean channel, the two channels are Classic Gain and Ultra Gain.

I guess you don't buy a Marshall for the clean tones...
                            Actually if you look closely at the controls, on the Classic Gain channel there's a button that switches between Clean and Crunch.
                            Guitars:
                            -2011 Fender Spalted Maple Telecaster
                            -2009 Fender DG-8S
                            -2005 Squier Strat
                            Amps:
                            -Marshall MG30FX
                            -Fender Frontman 15G
                            Effects:
                            -Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
                            -Dunlop 535Q Wah

Comment

^ To add to that, Marshall clean is basically not going over 11 o'clock on the gain dial and just using the master volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X