Need help to get Argent's sound for "Hold Your Head Up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to get Argent's sound for "Hold Your Head Up"

I could use some help to get the guitar sound for "Hold Your Head Up" by Argent. I have a Strat with an SSL5 in the bridge and SSL1s in the neck and middle and play through a Crate V50 tube amp. I also have a Digitech RP-255 effects pedal. Fairly basic stuff but I can get some nice sounds. I hear moderate gain/overdrive and reverb on the original song. Does that sound right? His sound has more punch and a sharper bite than what I can seem to dial in. I'm really trying to get this as close to exact as possible. Does anyone know what amp he used?. Any other suggestions?

Re: Need help to get Argent's sound for "Hold Your Head Up"

Great post! The year was 1973. MM was but a sophomore in High School. I loved that Argent Album. Absolutely wore it out.
    Heres a Clip that probably has that same Strat tone as "Hold your head High"- 'God Gave Rock N' Roll to You'.
    Looks IMO only like Argent was going for that ligtweight semi acoustic Strat sound, with underwound pickups..Tele like.. with lots of quack and spank . Soft round bass but they get a treble emphasis when you dig in. typical Ash Strat early 50's sound.
    You'll want some virtual 54's.Or hunt down some 80's Duncan Strat pickups or late 70's/early 80's Dimarzio Class of 55's that were underwound.
    Lollar also does a set..i' dont mean the 'tweed" opr "blackface"..forgot the name of it..dang!;

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

It's very hard to match a mastered recordings sound. I wish you the best of luck.
      Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Looks IMO only like Argent was going for that ligtweight semi acoustic Strat sound, with underwound pickups..Tele like.. with lots of quack and spank . Soft round bass but they get a treble emphasis when you dig in. typical Ash Strat early 50's sound.
        I'd agree with that based on my ears sounds like that more low output p/ups fender sound, really dynamic and fun to play. Try lowering your pickups a bit and see if that helps and use more power amp distortion then anything else (keep the preamp gain low).
        Gondola Kid
        Bandcamp
        Facebook
        JimijaymesGuitarist
        Youtube

Comment

Thanks all for the info!

Comment

It's too bad my kids don't appreciate this music...when people actually played instruments.

Comment

You can roll the volume down to 9 or 8 for that underwound sound. If you have the strat or similar.
              Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

Working...
              X