Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall DSL100

Originally posted by JonnyG92 View Post
    I spend a good majority of my time on the clean channels. I spend 60% of time in the Clean, 30% on crunch and the other 10% on OD1 and OD2.
    In that case try exactly what I prescribed, Winged C's and Mullard preamp tubes. The Mullards I have sound smooth, clear and detailed. I like Tung Sols for driven stuff, but Shuguang are kind of my go-to preamp tubes. Don't bias it hot or you'll run your tubes out faster and your clean sounds will probably sound more compressed and not feel right. If you bias too cold then it won't break up the way you want it to and your fingers will struggle more to squeeze out little minor overtones here and there. Those are my observations at least.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyG92 View Post
      Thanks for all of the input guys, it seems like I already knew the answers to my questions...

1) Get it retubed
      2) I'm playing in my bedroom, not GC
      3) I used the same guitar in both amps
      4) Marshall DSL isn't a country amp per se
      5) speakers need an upgrade (4x12 MG cab)
      6) never biased it, bought it used and skimped on getting it retubed biased (kind of a no-brainer kind of thing to do, but I'm like that)

I'll give it an upgrade and maybe try tweaking with a few pedals and see where that takes me. I know a majority of his tone is from the Mosfet Fulldrive and the 4 compressors he takes on tour, but I'm not out to copy him, just use it as a starting block.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

Dear God, get rid of that cabinet. Nothing will sound good out of it. I have one and I can't even bring myself to put it up for sale because then some other poor b@stard will have to use it.
      Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
      Originally posted by jcthejester13
      I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by gilaltom3 View Post
        Dear God, get rid of that cabinet. Nothing will sound good out of it. I have one and I can't even bring myself to put it up for sale because then some other poor b@stard will have to use it.
        +1. This should be your first step. Then re-evaluate the amp with decent speakers.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I agree with UberMetalDood. You owe it to yourself to try some tube swapping, or as some call it, "amplifier blueprinting".

The Winged Cs power tubes are what I use in my Mesas, and I highly recommend them. The Tung-Sols and Mullards are probably what I would try for pre-amp tubes.

I think a better cabinet is in order too. I don't have as much experience with Marshalls as I do with Mesas, but I have played a DSL through a Marshall cab with V30s and came away with a smile on my face!

Let us know how it comes out.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
          X