I guess the slice of pi isn't for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess the slice of pi isn't for me

Ordered an EHX Little Big Muff Pi and got it yesterday.

Not for me.

Plugged it in inline with the sound chain like this: Strat > Crybaby Classic > Muff > Princeton Recording Amp. Stomped on the Muff.

It was like someone poured liquid excrement all over my tone, and then squeezed that between two bricks of excrement before throwing it all into an excrement pit.

I don't see how guitarists get a good sound with this thing. I fiddled with the settings, put the muff before the wah, used it with a battery and with the One-Stop, changed amp settings, upgraded the battery. Nothing worked. The pedal was noisy from the get-go (even before engaging it), killed my bass and shrunk my sound. Nothing like a Fuzz Face. No dynamics. Just excrement.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because the Muff has been around for 40 years. Some of my favorite players - Gilmour in particular - have used one on some of my favorite songs.

I'm sending this back. Maybe I'll try a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, but I'm just thinking the Muff sound isn't for me.

Originally posted by nedcronin
    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
    Originally posted by metalmachine
    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Re: I guess the slice of pi isn't for me

It has to work with the right speakers and amp and all that!
    Pedals are not just plug and play.
    And the SWP is even more a drag to get a sound out of!

Comment

I agree with all of that.

But a good pedal shouldn't require wholesale reworking of your set up.

dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Nothing is better than the amp and speaker you use

Comment

Got a Class5 too right??
          How is it on that one??

Comment

Didn't try it on the Class 5. It's already re-packaged and ready to be returned.

Seriously, I usually give gear time to grow on me, but that would be useless in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post
              It was like someone poured liquid excrement all over my tone, and then squeezed that between two bricks of excrement before throwing it all into an excrement pit.
              I heard if you use vintage excrement batteries it can really add to the dynamics. It has to be vintage excrement batteries, not that new fangled excrement that they sell nowadays.
              "Time flies like arrows, and fruit flies like bananas."

Comment

I've heard some bad stuff about the Little Big Muff too, that it comes nowhere near the regular Muff.. I got a standard EHX Big Muff Pi and it sounds as awesome through my little Vox VT15 as through the Mesa Boogie and Marshall stacks I've played through in gigs.
                If you don't mind your pedals being the size of small bath tubs, try a real Big Muff.

Comment

I thought it was exactly the same components and circuit in a small housing, maybe I'm wrong.

If you can't get down with a big muff you should have known better than to buy it in the first place.

That's kinda like me buying a strat and then complaining because it's a strat. I hate strats.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                    I thought it was exactly the same components and circuit in a small housing, maybe I'm wrong.

If you can't get down with a big muff you should have known better than to buy it in the first place.

That's kinda like me buying a strat and then complaining because it's a strat. I hate strats.
                    That's a real gem of wisdom there. You're a charter member of Mensa, aren't you?

You've never returned a piece of gear? Never sold something you decided wasn't for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post
                      That's a real gem of wisdom there. You're a charter member of Mensa, aren't you?

You've never returned a piece of gear? Never sold something you decided wasn't for you?
                      I found this funny but Izzo has a point. A big muff is a big muff. The little big muff has very few differences when compared to a regular NYC one.
                      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                        I found this funny but Izzo has a point. A big muff is a big muff. The little big muff has very few differences when compared to a regular NYC one.
                        Fair enough. But I see differences between muffs lovingly dissected all the time on the web. The pedal has its own web site temple. (http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html). Seems people think there are wide differences.

It was $70, free shipping and a liberal return policy. I lost an hour of time trying it out. That's it.

And I see people moving gear on this site all the time which they feel they can do without. Not unusual. They typically don't get "told you so's" about how they shouldn't have bought something in the first place.

Comment

A muff more or less sounds like a muff. You've either got a rig and/or settings that don't get along with pedals and/or low end very well, or it's just not for you. You probably should have known better if it's the latter. You're right by the way, we've all done it, I'm just busting your balls a little.

Muff smells on the other hand...

Comment

i reckon muffs need amps with big headroom and big speakers to do what they do best. I reckon you'd think about the muff differently if you tried it with a big twin or something.

On the "lacking dynamics" thing, i definitely know where you are coming from when comparing it to a fuzz face. You might find tho if you can do an exchange that the tone wicker muff gives you more dynamics and response than the little big muff tho because you can switch all the filtering out of the system.

Having said that, and being a big fan of princetons (i use one too), i just dont think small amps and muffs go together. Ive not tried the recording amp version, but im wondering if the overdrive/compression circuitry is not getting along with the muff also?
                            Last edited by Chickenwings; 09-07-2012, 07:18 PM.
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post

Having said that, and being a big fan of princetons (i use one too), i just dont think small amps and muffs go together. Ive not tried the recording amp version, but im wondering if the overdrive/compression circuitry is not getting along with the muff also?
                              Hear ya loud and clear. God knows, if or when I can afford a '59 Bassman Ltd or a Super Reverb RI, I will revist the muff and just be in Heaven generally.

The Princeton Recording amp is a funny bird, which is why it never took off. I never use the attenuator, but when you turn it all the way up, that blackface 3-D stank comes through.

There were two deal-breakers for most people who know Princetons:
                              1 No tremolo
                              2 And a funky-looking front panel with the overdrive and compression controls. Didn't look like your daddy's princeton.

But I thought it was an inspired idea anchored to a key moment in Fender history.

Comment

Working...
                              X