banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a good analog flanger to cover chorus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a good analog flanger to cover chorus?

I love my MXR Analog chorus but I hate how choruses detune everything and it can sound weird as a result. Sometimes a flanger used as a chorus sounds more natural. I used to use a modified Boss BF-2 and it worked well as my chorus.

Any others you all can think of that can be used as a subtle chorus? Maybe a Hartman Analog Flanger?

Thanks!

Re: How about a good analog flanger to cover chorus?

This is from the flanger thread...

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Flangers are all different...I tend to lump flangers into 4 basic groups....

MXR-This is THE EVH flange and is great for lots of other classic flanging needs.

Electro Harmonix-I think of these more like a heavy chorus-Andy Summers used an EH Flanger and it was mistaken for chorus all the time, these are also the flangers that were HUGE in the 90's with bands like Nirvana, the Pumpkins, etc

ADA-These are the wackiest of all flangers IMO...good for ray gun type sounds and stuff like Paul Gilbert is famous for pulling out of a flanger.

OTHER...this covers everything else for me...Boss, DOD, etc

The only other thing I might add these days are TZF flangers but there are so few of them and they are really sort of their own thing.

The ADA is a cool flanger but I get more use form either the EH or MXR...and in fact the only 2 flangers I have left are an early Deluxe Electric Mistress reissue and an MXR Micro Flange.

A lot more good information in this thread.

I'll second the EHX flanger for chorus sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4 View Post
      This is from the flanger thread...

A lot more good information in this thread.

I'll second the EHX flanger for chorus sounds.
      EHX?

I am a big 1990s guy so I go for that a lot. Think Police, Nirvana, Smachine Pumpkins.

Which EHX model?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
        EHX?

I am a big 1990s guy so I go for that a lot. Think Police, Nirvana, Smachine Pumpkins.

Which EHX model?
        Electro-Harmonix's deluxe electric mistress. I don't know how well the stereo mistress or the neo mistress replicate the sound of the deluxe.
        Last edited by ericmeyer4; 09-11-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericmeyer4 View Post
          Electro-Harmonix's deluxe electric mistress. I don't know how well the stereo mistress or the neo mistress replicate the sound of the deluxe.
          OK< it must be a small pedal as well! Smaller, the better!

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
            OK< it must be a small pedal as well! Smaller, the better!
            The stereo looked cool and like it had similar functions, but I don't know how it sounds. I haven't had too much time with one, but I may have to get a flanger again and might start there.

Comment

Funny thing is, I have no need for a flanger unless I am playing Van Halen which hasn't happened in years. So maybe I stick to my little MXR analog chorus since it is a super rich, warm and 3-D sounding chorus. I think with the depth dialed down it won't sound as detuned like with the depth at 2 o'clock. I just have had a habit of leaving it there. One thing I need with any pedal is a level knob and this does. I had a great analog MXR flanger but I never uses it. Other than VH, when would I ever use flanger?
              I play classic rock and a lot of 90s hard rock and grunge. Maybe I just need to work more on my chorus settings. LOL

Comment

The stereo mistress is a good pedal. I like mine. Very versatile as well....
                Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I belive the Hartman is based on the Electro Harmonix fwiw.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Dial the MXR Micro Flanger down low and it can get pretty chorus-y.
                    http://www.lonephantom.com
                    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

BF-2 is the best I have tried thus far, fully modified. Fulltone Choralflange was a pain to tweak and sounded sterile. MXR analog chorus and micro flanger rock, but only thing I got out of the flange, was flange. The MXR analog chorus is incredible so I think I need to work with the knobs, especially depth.

Comment

Airplane Flanger had a really nice chorusy sound... And ironically I've got an old DOD fx65 stereo chorus that sounds a tad flangy!
                        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Not all chorus detune "everything"

Having control of the delay and level are key. Of course, using it in true stereo helps also. Nothing like a clean unaffected signal mixed in separately.

I've actually been using flange like a chorus quite a lot lately.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Have you tried using the EVH Phase 90 as a chorus? I do it all the time. I think it sounds great as a chorus.

For flanging I'm currently using the EHX deluxe electric mistress. Still saving up for a Strymon Orbit Flanger tho. YouTube samples makes this flanger sound excellent and super versatile.
                            If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                            DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

The tape setting on the TC Vortex does an excellent chorus for cleans. Really beautiful. Check out the tone print clips on youtube of Petrucci dialing it in to get an idea of what it can do. Tape mode of this pedal is prob one of the best I have heard.

Comment

Working...
                              X