Anyone try KT88's in an EL34 Shiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try KT88's in an EL34 Shiva?

I verified with Bogner that KT88's can be installed without modifications, and they gave me the recommended bias settings. However, KT88's are not cheap so I don't know if they will be worth buying just to see if they sound good.

The Shiva 20th comes with KT88's, but from what I've read, isn't necessarily built specifically for KT88's since it has R6 resistors or something to that effect. I don't know technically what exactly those guys are talking about but they claim that the difference between the regular and the 20th are minor. It seems the difference besides cosmetics are the added gain stage and clean tone controls enabled when the boost is engaged.

The Shiva EL34 can also run 6L6's safely according to Bogner, but they say the transformers aren't really matched for them so they don't sound that good. I'm seriously thinking about getting a good pair of KT88's. What say you?

Re: Anyone try KT88's in an EL34 Shiva?

It depends what you are wanting to achieve really.

I've tried kt88s on a number of occasions and just found them too OTT in the lowend.

It's one of those things you will have to try yourself though to see if it works for you.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

I'd like to see what my Shiva sounds like with a little less low mids and a bit more high mids which is exactly what the KT88's do for the 20th ann. model. I also like the warmth and aliveness that KT88's offer.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
        I'd like to see what my Shiva sounds like with a little less low mids and a bit more high mids which is exactly what the KT88's do for the 20th ann. model. I also like the warmth and aliveness that KT88's offer.
        I'd say do it then!

If Bogner have confirmed its just a drop in switch & a rebias I don't see a reason not to other than the extortionate cost of KT88s.
        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

I really liked what a set of KT88s did for my Splawn QR vs. the EL34s. It definitely had a thicker tone and maybe a little 'juicier' I guess you could say. I don't know if it had less low mids than the EL34s, but they were definitely tighter.

LP Custom
          Greenbacks
          Boss SD-1

Comment

Really I don't consider them much more expensive. Yes $10-20 more, but that being said if you're the type who would drop $40-$200 on a single preamp tube, its really no different than taht
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
              I really liked what a set of KT88s did for my Splawn QR vs. the EL34s. It definitely had a thicker tone and maybe a little 'juicier' I guess you could say. I don't know if it had less low mids than the EL34s, but they were definitely tighter.
              That's part of the reason I kept my Pro Mod and traded my Quick Rod. The Pro Mod just has something extra I can't define.
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                That's part of the reason I kept my Pro Mod and traded my Quick Rod. The Pro Mod just has something extra I can't define.
                That would be called balls. Not to say the QuickRod did NOT have balls. The ProMod just has bigger balls. Just look at the size of a KT88 compared to an EL34. The Pro Mod is OBVIOUSLY more 'well hung' than the Quickrod.
                Last edited by Soulcrusher_X; 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM.

LP Custom
                Greenbacks
                Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
                  I'd say do it then!

If Bogner have confirmed its just a drop in switch & a rebias I don't see a reason not to other than the extortionate cost of KT88s.
                  No "drop in switch" if you're referring to some kind of component. Just rebias with the new tubes.

Comment

What do you got tO lose?
                    Originally posted by grumptruck
                    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                    Originally posted by Gear Used
                    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

Nothing. I'm going for it. For now I'll try some EHX KT88's since they're cheapest or might splurge a little and go with Sino which are about $20 more.

Comment

I've got a little bit of experience with KT-88s and the thing that really impressed me was how CLEAN they are. I couldn't seem to make them distort at all, and it seemed to taked an amazing amount of signal at the front of the amp to make them even grunt a little. I think it depends on what you're looking for in your sound. At the time, they weren't what I was looking for, but I'd NEVER say that they sounded bad, and I can't think of a single instance in which they would.
                        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                          No "drop in switch" if you're referring to some kind of component. Just rebias with the new tubes.
                          By drop in I meant you can just drop them in and rebias
                          WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion View Post
                            I've got a little bit of experience with KT-88s and the thing that really impressed me was how CLEAN they are. I couldn't seem to make them distort at all, and it seemed to taked an amazing amount of signal at the front of the amp to make them even grunt a little. I think it depends on what you're looking for in your sound. At the time, they weren't what I was looking for, but I'd NEVER say that they sounded bad, and I can't think of a single instance in which they would.

Actually this is how they should sound. KT88's and 6550's are not tubes that will distort or compress easily (sometimes not at all). If your after lots of headroom and klang they are the way to go.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                              Actually this is how they should sound. KT88's and 6550's are not tubes that will distort or compress easily (sometimes not at all). If your after lots of headroom and klang they are the way to go.
                              They're a bit looser too but still maintain amazing definition. I have come to think of it as congestion. EL84/6V6's sound a bit congested, EL34/6L6's sound less congested and more open, KT's aren't congested at all. The "biggness" of KT's seems to come from that and not just because of moer low and top end. I'm really liking KT88's these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X