Tube Testing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Testing?

Yea, so I must admit, not much of conisseur when it comes to tubes. I treat'em like my cars, when they need a tune up I take it to the shop. With that being said. I picked up an old ass Custom Kraft amp (manufactured by Valco) and it has RCA tubes in it and a Jensen Concert Series (1970). Thinking of parting this guy out and then using the combo for some sort of project (not sure yet). Although everything lights up and works I don't want to claim having a good set of RCAs if the life left in em isn't too long.

Anyway to check these guys?

Re: Tube Testing?

Sure if your local tech has a tube tester. You might also check with any old TV repair men in your area if they have a tube tester. I bought mine (years ago) from an organ dealer that was closing down. Unless the tubes test as new and you can give good numbers from the tester no one will pay much for them. Too much risk involved.

But before we get too excited figure out EXACTLY which tubes it has. 1970 is past the golden years for RCA by the 70's they were rebranding tubes from Sylvania and GE. Late 70's RCA tubes that are used even if they test "as new" they arent worth a ton.

If you want post up some pics and I can tell you if you managed to find some sweet gems or if you just have some old tubes.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

My tube tester was one of the best musical investments I ever made. I used to change out tubes on a time/use schedule. What a waste of money! My $40 tube tester has probably saved me several hundreds of bucks by preventing me from trashing perfectly good tubes. Get one!
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Pics:

Comment

Pics are coming up 403 for me
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Sorry about that... here ya go!

Comment

For those that don't want to travel to the link...

Comment

Let me know if you guys want some better pics. Vthat was I phone picage

Comment

Working...
                X