Speaker sensitivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker sensitivity

I've recently been looking at speaker upgrades and so have been looking at various manufacturers' websites to compare their products.

One thing I can't help noticing is that Eminence speakers seem to quote higher efficiency/sensitivity figures than other manufacturers pretty much accross the board (with a few notable exceptions such as the Delta Demon.)

So... are Eminence speakers really louder than anyone else's, or are they just doing their measurements differently?

Re: Speaker sensitivity

I couldn't tell you how they measure a speaker, but what I find to be more important is what are you putting them in or connecting them to? 6L6 type of amps offer a different type of response, then an EL34 amp does. Are you putting these speakers in a combo amp, or are they going in an extension cabinet? Is it a closed back or open back? These will all affect how the speaker will sound or react.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Sensitivity is OK for comparing speakers in a particular manufacturer's line, but not between different mfgs. I think that they all use different ways of measuring it. I have an Eminence Cannabis Rex (102 dB) matched with a V30 (100dB) and they both sound like they're very close to the same volume. If anything, the V30 might be a touch louder, despite it's lower reported sensitivity.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

and i have swapped out a cannabis rex for a g12h (100db) and thought there was a noticeable drop in volume but i think its as much about frequency response or perceived volume.

Comment

Yes, peaks and valleys in a speaker's frequency response can have a good deal with perceived volume. Like the V30 mentioned above. It's got a peak right where the human ear is most sensitive.

But if you're trying to make your amp run harder for better tone look for lower numbers.

If you're trying to ring a bit more volume out of a small amp or just going for maximum clean headroom look for the big number.

Comment

Working...
          X