Explain X Method please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain X Method please

I saw on another forum talking about Noise Suppressors. Then some mentioned the "X Method" for a Boss NS-2. I saw how they connect it. Can someone explain the benefit of it. Is this method of connection used for using just one pedal for to functions instead of having a Noise Suppresor in front of the amp and in the FX Loop?

Here's the forum I saw it at: http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72272

A picture of it is about 3/4 of the page down.
    Originally posted by everdrone
    I have gas probz myselfs

I used it, it's the best method for high gain amps, it senses the guitar signal before going into the amp, then reduces noise in the effects loop after the effects

Comment

Re: Explain X Method please

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
      I used it, it's the best method for high gain amps, it senses the guitar signal before going into the amp, then reduces noise in the effects loop after the effects
      Then it is a method I am definitely gOnna use. Thanks for the explanation JMH.
      I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

In case anyone is interested and doesn't want to dig.

Comment

That looks like the way it was intended to be used, no?
          After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Thought I used it, and it worked great, I did have a complaint with the Boss NS-2. Once you go silent and start playing, it felt like you were pushing into a sponge to get the level up again- it was just a split second, but it seemed you had to let the nose bloom a little to get full volume up. I head the ISP Decimator G String does a much better job, though it's more than double the price.

Aside from the "bloom" effect, it was very good at cutting noise using the X method

Comment

Thought I used it, and it worked great, I did have a complaint with the Boss NS-2. Once you go silent and start playing, it felt like you were pushing into a sponge to get the level up again- it was just a split second, but it seemed you had to let the nose bloom a little to get full volume up. I head the ISP Decimator G String does a much better job, though it's more than double the price.

Aside from the "bloom" effect, it was very good at cutting noise using the X method
              The using the X hookup is also effects loop dependent. Some loops take it very well, others do not. In most cases a series loop will work best. You also can't have the threshold set too high. 8 or 9/10 for high gain playing at the max. Never dime that dial or that "sponge" feeling strats to seap in.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                The using the X hookup is also effects loop dependent. Some loops take it very well, others do not. In most cases a series loop will work best. You also can't have the threshold set too high. 8 or 9/10 for high gain playing at the max. Never dime that dial or that "sponge" feeling strats to seap in.
                Are you sure it's the threshold? I remember setting it up light- at about 9:00- or 3- doing like the instructions said, and adjusting till the red LED barely came on. It may not have been noticeable to most people, but to me the sponge effect felt like having a dying battery

Comment

Are you sure it's the threshold? I remember setting it up light- at about 9:00- or 3- doing like the instructions said, and adjusting till the red LED barely came on. It may not have been noticeable to most people, but to me the sponge effect felt like having a dying battery
                  Well, like I said it can be rig dependant. When I did this with my JSX, having the NS-2 on actually boosted the signal slightly creating a livelier tone that without the X hookup.
                  With my 6505, I noticed the affect you described as well, and got some added hum.
                  With my Recto it introduced added noise and thinned the tone(parallel loop)

Best to follow the hookup instructions & just experiment.
                  AFAIW, Boss does not endorse this X hookup. They simply say to use the pedals loop as an additional path for effects. No harm though, just a trick discovered by another gearhead.
                  The X method did make my JSX the quietest high gain amp I have ever played though. (in combination with the onboard hiss emliminator too mind you)

Haven't done the X hookup with my other amps though, I use my Decimator in front now and I'm more than satisfied. I also don't use as much gain anymore and don't use boost pedals anymore.
                  Tuner, ISP & into amp. That's it.
                  Last edited by Van Noord; 09-13-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

How would I use this method with other pedals? I have a Boss DD-6, CS-3 (makes alot of noise when on) and a Micro Q Tron(true bypass). Or what would you put I the FX Loop and what pedals in front of the amp?

I have an EVH 5150 III 50 watt head, makes a bit noise when on ch. 3. I did the X method with no other pedals. It took the noise/hum from the preamp gain where the problem was. But I would like to add the other pedals, but I'm more focused on the CS-3, this one makes the most noise. My other pedals do not.
                    Last edited by Megagwar; 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM.
                    I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

Originally posted by Megagwar View Post
                      How would I use this method with other pedals? I have a Boss DD-6, CS-3 (makes alot of noise when on) and a Micro Q Tron(true bypass). Or what would you put I the FX Loop and what pedals in front of the amp?

I have an EVH 5150 III 50 watt head, makes a bit noise when on ch. 3. I did the X method with no other pedals. It took the noise/hum from the preamp gain where the problem was. But I would like to add the other pedals, but I'm more focused on the CS-3, this one makes the most noise. My other pedals do not.
                      Here is another diagram that should help:

Comment

Thanks! I figured out how my other pedals should be chained up last nite around 1:00 am! Haha

But this also good to have in mind.
                        I have gas probz myselfs

Comment

I would always go:
                          Gtr> NS2> Tuner> OD> Chorus> Amp input> Amp Fx send> NS2 Retrun> NS2 Out> Delay Pedal> Amp FX Return.
                          Widow - "we have songs".
                          Originally posted by Aceman
                          Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

Working...
                          X