Good small 212 cab that sound big?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good small 212 cab that sound big?!?!

Hi guys! I love the amps and cabs I have, but I know some places in Philly that are hard to get to....narrow staircase, small stage, etc....and sometimes can only take one trip from car.

I am thinking of getting a combo. I have only used heads till now, and am either thinking of a combo or one of my heads with a small cab like the THD212. I had a THD212 which sounded amazing, but I hate bending over so low to adjust an amp! For example, that is why all my 212 cabs are tall at least 24inches tall or my 412. Short 212 cabs are pain for me at 6'3".

Maybe I get a vertical 212 since I don't own one and call it a day.

Re: Good small 212 cab that sound big?!?!

get 2 midgets to run your cab around.

seriously tho, a vert 2x12 doesnt sound like a bad idea for a dude of your height. mesa?

Comment

I would check out Zilla cabs if I were you.
      My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
      The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
      Originally posted by CTN
      I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
      FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
        I would check out Zilla cabs if I were you.
        So you like the Zilla vertical 212?

Comment

if you are 6 foot three im sure you can heft a quad box!
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Place amp on an amp stand or if one is not available, a chair. Problem solved.
            -
            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I just picked up a Randall Cab with greenbacks from ZZsounds. It's only 21" with the casters, but it sounds great. A small rack or case would bring the head up more than enough. to get it where you want it. Or you could just stand it on its side.

Comment

Check out the Peavey MC212...they come up around $250 used, max, and have the option of running two 16 ohm speakers separately, or 8 ohms together. You could change the speakers out for two 8 ohm units, and have a 4ohm option. 75 pounds, but sounds bigger. Has an option to open the top part of the cab, and have a closed/open mix.

Last edited by guitfiddle; 09-14-2012, 06:16 PM.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I miss my little THD 212, but hated the bending over! Wish I could find a cab as light as the THD, that sounded as good, but didn't require me to get on my knees to tweak. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                    if you are 6 foot three im sure you can heft a quad box!
                    I can, easily, but that is not the point. I already have 412s and large 212s, just want something small and easy for some gigs and practice.

Comment

Why not consider a pair of sealed-back cubes? Like the Bogner or Mesa cubes? I've got a chunky little Egnater cube that's pretty beefy sounding. I'd think that a pair of them would sound pretty big. Certainly not 4X12 big or as big as my old Bogner OS2X12s. But fat and chunky sounding for such small packages anyways...
                      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

The vertical cab this guy makes looks pretty good.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Ermmm..stand the cabinet on its side? My Genz Benz Lynch is a littel fat, but its a big sounding cabinet. Got stout carrying handles.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul View Post
                            So you like the Zilla vertical 212?
                            I've never tried one but Misha Mansoor (from periphery) says that the fatboy 2x12 has the bottom end of a 4x12.

Looking at the specs on the fatboy, you actually might be better off with something else because it is an oversized 2x12.
                            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
                            Originally posted by CTN
                            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
                            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

The Kiesel Guitars Custom Shop makes pro quality guitars, basses, pickups and accessories for musicians of all levels. Made in the USA, ...

Just the 2x12 cab, if you can get it (site doesn't say??)

I've got a Carvin VE212, which later became their MTS series, I think, before the X100B reissue. Great low-end, can stand on the side, and isn't too much work for us 6' 3" guys.
                              Originally posted by Brown Note
                              I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                              My Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X