Looking for a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new amp

So I want a combo. I get tired of lugging my huge ****ing amp around sometimes. Here's a good starting point of what I'm looking for:

But without having to spend more than three grand.

Key features I'm looking for:

Dual channel
    Effects loop
    Fender-esque gain and clean tones
    Reverb
    Around 1500 or less used

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Agileguy_101; 09-16-2012, 11:09 PM.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Looking for a new amp

Well, yea, but you're probably not gonna like my answer. I think Line 6 makes very nice amplifiers. I've got a Spider that works awfully well under every circumstance that I've thrown at it.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Might want to look into a Mesa Boogie, my Mark II has fantastic fendery cleans and a pretty wide range of overdrive tones. One of the newer mark series amps might fit the bill pretty well.
      Originally posted by ratherdashing
      If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

I've been thinking about the Mark IIB, but I've never tried one. Guess I just need to find one. They pop up pretty often on the local CL for under 900 easy.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

If Fender cleans and gain is what you're looking for, consider sticking with Fender.....maybe the Supersonic in one form or another.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The one concern with the mark IIB is that the effects loop is located before the last gain stage so high gain tones distort your effects. There is a factory mod that Mesa can do to fix that, and a good number of used amps have had it done already. I love mine, the cleans are absolutely fantastic and the loop issue doesn't bother me.
            Originally posted by ratherdashing
            If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Good call...the Supersonic combo has verb and fits everything you are looking for and the 60 watt, 1x12 combo can be had for $1500 NEW
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Bogner Shiva. Might have to go to $1600 but you'll get it back if you ever have to re-sell.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  Bogner Shiva. Might have to go to $1600 but you'll get it back if you ever have to re-sell.
                  +1
                  Originally posted by grumptruck
                  No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                  Originally posted by Gear Used
                  PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                  Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

I'd second (third?) the Supersonic 60. I'd also look into either the Express 5:25+, 5:50+ or a Lonestar Special. They can all be had for around 1500 new, so used you should be able to find a better price. I really like the cleans on the Lonestar, and I haven't played the Express + yet, but it is supposed to have a clean very similar to the Lonestar.
                    Go Packers!

Comment

Fender seems to have a few that would fit the bill in terms of features. How many watts do you feel you need, number of speakers, etc?

Comment

Mesa Lonestar

Comment

From what you describe a Bogner Shiva would be in order. I have a 12" EL 34 which is 80W. Great amps. It has Fender cleans & gain to die for. The Reverb is better then any Fender I have used(I own a 67 Deluxe Reverb & a 68 Super Reverb). The major drawback is its heavy as hell. I would seriously consider a head and 2 12" instead of a combo. Combos are a lot heavier then Head/cabs are.
                          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

In terms of lugging around a combo, I found my xxx 1x12 combo to be a huge pain in the ass to carry around compared to my 2x12 cabinet and a head. If you get a light head in the 10-15lb range and a 2x12 or 1x12 that will actually be easier to carry around than most combo amps.

Comment

I'm mostly a Rivera guy and reading your requirements of Fender type gain and clean, 2 channel, effects loop and reverb, I would recommend you the Quiana (6L6) or Fandango (EL34) combo or the K Tre 55w combo or even the Venus 6 (Class A).You can find them used in the range you are looking for and if you don't mind spending s little more time with your amp's EQ, you will not regret it! I also recomend the Mesa Boogie Lone Star combo or a Roadster combo, as they are also very great and meet your requirements too!

I also agree with the guys about the head and a 2x12 being a lot easier to handle than a combo...Carrying myy cousin's Roadster combo it's a certified Hernia!

Rivera don't have a whole lot of demos out there but here's some.

Quiana and Venus:

http://youtu.be/Zbt2hfwLnNo

Fandango:

http://youtu.be/jPu7-vxu77s

http://youtu.be/B4CwFRKRwbg

http://youtu.be/6US_7EhU38A

Tre:

http://youtu.be/n1PTn_NH_K0
                              Last edited by ToneScavenger; 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM.
                              Washburn Atlantis EC26 (YJM Fury/Screamin' Demon w/Triple Shot) and Washburn Parallaxe PXS100ARFRWHM (PATB-1n/PATB-3)
                              Rivera M100 and Rivera Bonehead.

Good deals with: Savage Distortion, IndySG, Masta' C, RayBarbeeMusic, Monsta-Tone, Chickencoop, Traumatized.

Comment

Working...
                              X