Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Mesa's V30 speaker?

Any good?

Thinking about getting the 1x12 cab that matches the Mini Recto head...

If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Opinions on Mesa's V30 speaker?

Uhhhhh yeah.
    Quite good.
    Very good.
    Extremely good.
    As long as you know, and understand the V30 sound.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

It's a vintage 30, the only real difference between that and the normal celestion is that the Mesa ones are still made in England as opposed to china. Some people claim they sound a little different, either way, a great speaker.
      Originally posted by ratherdashing
      If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

It can be nasal with the wrong amp.

It can be great with a rectifier.

I tame the aforementioned nasal sound by using one cab with Vintage 30s with a second cabinet filled with Celestion G12H-80 speakers, which are more of the Celestion "modern" sound.

Comment

Ok, cool.

I thought Mesa's V30 was a "copy" or clone of Celestion's V30. Not actually a Celestion...?

did that make sense?
          If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
          DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Nope, they are made in England by celestion and branded and sold to Mesa. Marshalls G12 vintage is also a re branded English celestion vintage 30. The cool thing about them is that the celestion branded ones are all made in China now.
            If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by schecterplayer View Post
              It's a vintage 30, the only real difference between that and the normal celestion is that the Mesa ones are still made in England as opposed to china. Some people claim they sound a little different, either way, a great speaker.
              This is not the case. Both the Mesa V30 and Marshall G12 Vintage are voiced differently than the "out of the box" Celestion V30. I have all three (actually four, as Mesa had yet another V30 variant from the mid 90's). They all have different "T" numbers but share the same 444 bass cone. The Mesa's are definitely darker.
              Compared side by side, the difference is quite noticeable.

Check out this link.
              http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=851486

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
              Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
              Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
              Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Good to know, I've only tried the Marshall branded speakers and I actually quite like them. I didn't think I would since there is a lot of Vintage 30 hate, I guess I just like my speakers a little spikey.

Comment

Bloody awesome cab, as well as the 2x12" and the 4x12". The

Interesting. I tend to like the V30 less in other cabs, regardless of the amp sitting on it. I always had a feeling that maybe, they are still a little different from stock. Anyway, I never had the opportunity to test the bare Mesa V30 speakers side by side with the 'normal' V30 Celestions. Maybe they are all the same, it's just the perfectly fitting cab, I don't know.
                  Last edited by NecroPolo; 09-19-2012, 04:03 PM.
                  Wackor
                  Ørdøg
                  NecroPolo
                  Diabolus in Musica
                  SIDrip Alliance
                  Book of Shadows
                  RKH

Comment

Originally posted by slightly_rude View Post
                    This is not the case. Both the Mesa V30 and Marshall G12 Vintage are voiced differently than the "out of the box" Celestion V30. I have all three (actually four, as Mesa had yet another V30 variant from the mid 90's). They all have different "T" numbers but share the same 444 bass cone. The Mesa's are definitely darker.
                    Compared side by side, the difference is quite noticeable.
                    +1.

I have both. The Mesa is darker and smoother than the Celestion. Whether that's good or not is subjective as some of the top rated cabs in the world use generic Celestion V30s... but IMO the Mesa V30 is a big part of the "Rectifier" sound.

Also, if you look at them side by side you'll see that the Mesa's magnet, top/back plates, pole piece and adhesives are made of different materials than the standard Celestion V30. The magnet on the Mesa version is also significantly thicker.

I've heard unfavourable reviews on the Mini-Recto 1x12s. Like most small 1x12s they're said to be boxy sounding. I haven't tried the Mini-Recto one myself, but I have owned a number of small 1x12 cabs (quite a few of them Mesa) and all of them have been boxy regardless of whether they've been open, closed or ported.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

We had a guy playing with us who went on and on about how much better the mesa V30 in his open back cab sounded than a chinese one ever could. SO when he left one night we did a swap. He jammed for 3 days not noticing anything while still bragging about the 'real' V 30.

When we told him he got pissed that we screwed with him but then accepted that he was full of crap
                      Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post
                        We had a guy playing with us who went on and on about how much better the mesa V30 in his open back cab sounded than a chinese one ever could. SO when he left one night we did a swap. He jammed for 3 days not noticing anything while still bragging about the 'real' V 30.

When we told him he got pissed that we screwed with him but then accepted that he was full of crap
                        This could be done with many things in a persons rig. Most of the things people get worked up about on this forum in the big picture dont mean much.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post

I'm going to call this story a load of crap. Both speakers do sound good, but the differences in sound are obvious.

Comment

Obvious if you are looking for a difference, if you just turn on your amp and start playing, you'd probably just tweak the EQ and wonder why it sounded a little different, then forget about it. It's easy to ignore things you don't know are there.

Comment

Obvious if you are looking for a difference, if you just turn on your amp and start playing, you'd probably just tweak the EQ and wonder why it sounded a little different, then forget about it. It's easy to ignore things you don't know are there.
                              You don't need to look for the difference... it's pretty f*cking obvious.

Last edited by some_dude; 09-20-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X