Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of selling my '79 Marshall JMP / Buying a Mesa 5:50 Express

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
    That's what I have, a 2104. I can pick up the Mesa as well, just a matter of "rationalizatioin". I've had the Marshall for 14 years now and it's a great amp...I suppose I am seeking a different tone...and you are right...it might be a regret down the road.
    Rationalisation ? The rational thing to do is keep the Marshall and buy the Mesa. I've only ever owned two Marshalls that I thought were superb and the model you have was one of them. You will miss it like hell.

Comment

It's one thing that these Marshall amps sound a little one-sided and aren't very versatile. I could see selling, however the prices right now are not very good at all for 1979 JMPs, and with the combo you will probably be double-screwed.

If you give it up right now you don't only make an irreversible step, you don't get enough money to make it attractive.

If you are gassing for Mesa why not get something cheaper like a DC-3 or DC-5?

If volume is a problem, why not get a power soak or similar?

Comment

I have managed to ride out the Mesa "G.A.A.S" for the 5:50 Express and will be retaining my JMP. I will be patient and look at picking up a Mesa after the end of the first quarter of next year.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions on the JMP. Much appreciated.
        Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 09-28-2012, 10:36 AM.
        MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
        1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
        1988 Kramer Nightswan
        1989 Charvel Sambora
        2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
        Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
        Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Phew, good to see you came to your senses. I'm with the "keep the JMP and get the Mesa" too, they are both great amps.

Comment

The JMP is probably my favorite Marshall ever. It even tops my AFD.

If I had one, I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING, let alone a Mesa.
            AccountKiller

Comment

Well, I'm a confirmed Mesa guy, but I have to agree with most of the posters: keep the Marshall, and get the 5:50 Plus. I think the addition of the graphic is...well...a definite plus.

And I love my Mesas, but sometimes I do miss the crunch of my old Marshalls, now gone.

Besides, having more than one amp that you are comfortable gigging with is never a bad idea.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
              X