Stomp boxes or multi-FX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomp boxes or multi-FX?

Do you think one is better over the other or nothing more then a matter of personal taste?

I find with some multi-FX I have tried some of the FX are great and some of them not so much. Are pedal based systems a better Idea?

When I was younger I used pedals but now I use a floor processor -when I use FX anyway.

Opinions, thoughts or insights?

Re: Stomp boxes or multi-FX?

I've used a range of stomp boxes and digital pedals / rack units over my long career as a Garage God. I love the variety of effects you can get out of a digital unit, but they require a lot of twiddling to dial in the right sounds. And matching volume levels between patches is very difficult to do. I find them to be very hard to use in a spontaneous jam situation which is just about all I ever play.

I have a couple Vox modeling pedals that sound pretty good, but it's very confusing when the chicken-head knobs don't correspond to the parameter levels set for the current patch.

A friend lent me his Line6 M13 recently, and I did find it to give a good mix of fast setup and great versatility. I may get one of these someday.

Best sounding rack FX unit I've ever heard was a Digitech 2112.

I've now switched back to using a handful of discrete pedals for effects. SD Twin Tube Classic pre-amp, a Diamond Tremolo, Pigtronix Echolution (a bit twiddly, this one... I want to throw a simple Carbon Copy in there instead) and my good old Ross Phaser.

More often than not, I ditch all these and just use Gain and a touch of Reverb from my amp. I play better when I'm not distracted by all the bells and whistles.
    Originally posted by DreX
    Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
    The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
    There's no substance to anything I have posted.
    Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
    I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

I started out on boss me30. pedals are way better, more organic, interact with the amp better, easier to adjust...

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
        I started out on boss me30. pedals are way better, more organic, interact with the amp better, easier to adjust...
        This. Plus if a pedal breaks, it's easy to replace the one unit and leave the rest of your pedal rig alone. If something goes wrong with the multi effects unit, then you're looking at replacing the whole thing which is way more expensive than an individual pedal. Also, I personally just don't use that many effects so that's another reason I stick with stompboxes.
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        I always think of man bulge
        "How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment, wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?"-Tenacious D

Comment

Pedals. Bicycles are just too awkward to ride if you replace the pedals with those big clunky multi-unit things.
          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Pedals have the advantage in that you can mix and match brands - Ibanez Tube Screamer + TC Chorus + BOSS Delay, etc.
            With multi-FX units, you either get all of one brand (BOSS/Roland, Digitech, ART) or you get a handful of whatever-the-designers-coveted-that-week (Line6's fanatical devotion to the Toys Of Yesteryear i.e. BigMuff, FuzzFace, etc).

However, all-in-one units are easier to manage - one cable in, one cable out (or two, or four at most), and easier to set up for use (no chasing down patch cables and batteries and wall warts and such, plus your knobs get bumped unless you've got them all in a board).

While you can get one-trick-pony rack units like BOSS's old half-rack stuff, it's easy to end up lugging a 6-space rack with 12 half-rack units in it (OD, Dist, Chorus, Flange, Phaser, Reverb, Delay, etc). As well, not everyone offers their stuff in half-rack, or in single-function, so you might have to settle for a Digitech multi-FX full-space unit just for the selection of delays and reverbs, a half-rack BOSS Chorus, and a 2-space vintage rackmounted flanger made by a long-dead company, for example.

Then there's the question of wah and/or volume pedal. You can get a Crybaby in a rack with an expression pedal, or an all-in-one unit like the 1101 with an external CC pedal (ART X-15, Digitech ControlOne, etc), but then if it's not the pedal made for the system, you have to program CCs.

Rack units also have the advantage of multiple settings available at the push of a button, whereas most pedals have either on or off, with a relative few offering programmability. Of those, most require either a tap-dance ( Digitech's old 2-button pedals where you have to go into Bank Select mode and the pedals selected up one or down one, or you only get step up/down, so you have to know how many steps it takes to get where you're going, and if you miss....)

But then, that scenario really only applies if you're doing a ton of covers that require different flangers or phasers (VH, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, etc).

For me, the single-brand multi-FX units like Digitech have been worth the flexibility tradeoff. I may not have the best of any given effect, but I have enough variety through multiple presets that I can get the sounds I want quickly and easily.

It doesn't hurt that many of those older units can now be had for under $200 regularly, like the GSP 21/Legend, or the TSR-12, so not only can I have all the User presets I can stomach, I can do things a single unit can't do, like Flanger on the left and Phaser on the right, or slapback delay on one side with a gated reverb on the other, or a Gated Phased Reverb mixed with a Gated Flanged Reverb.

And all for a fraction of the cost of an Axe-FX.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

It really depends on what your trying to accomplish. In my many years with a full band I relied on a Boss GT-6 and a small pedal board with a couple of TS9's, delay and chorus.

The GT-6 was essential for half the songs we played because I had specific patches written for those tunes. You can't beat a multi-fx unit for recalling the same sound over and over. Most of the more modern tunes had that clean verse distorted chorus thing so having two radically different tones just left and right of each other on the floor was good. You also run into mixing issues. Should the chorus part jump out a bit or should you maybe come down a tad and let the vocal harmony shine through. Multi-fx to the rescue again. The volume knob on the guitar is not always the answer because the tone will change but you can lower or raise a patch's volume without altering the basic tone. Little things like that keep the instrument mix balanced and are especially important in smaller rooms where the sound guy has less control or when you just plain don't have a sound guy. Plus nine times out of ten when a chorus comes around I was singing harmony so I had to keep my foot movement to a minimum.

Comment

Not to derail anything or anyone, but does anyone here have experience with the Boss ME-70?

Originally posted by nedcronin
                Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                Originally posted by metalmachine
                dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

I run both for different situations. I am a church player, and play all around my area. H

I run pedals and an amp if I want a great sound, clarity, easy adjustment on the fly, and just that extra spark that you get from playing with all analog equipment. I usually do this in larger venues, where volume is not an issue. This is my preferred method of playing. I play various pedals into a '71 Fender Pro Reverb

I run a Multi-FX (POD HD500) if I'm playing a smaller venue where there aren't amp boxes. I also do this if I have a complicated set list. If I have a ton of difficult songs and don't want to do the guitarist-tap-dance on stage I can easily program the HD500 to have my intro tones, verse tones, chorus tones, and anything else right at two taps. Although very time consumimg to set up it gives me flexibility... With this option, I also can change what "amp" I'm playing through. This lets me go from metal sounds, to a clean Fender, to some boutique sounding overdriven amp. I have pretty discerning ears and while

It's really all about what you like and your needs man. Personally I prefer the sound of pedals and an amp. It's more organic, and just feels right to me. However, if you need versatility, a good FX board might be what you'll need.

I have a newborn at the house, so more and more of my practice is done on the HD500 through a mixer that also has my computer running through it, I can set the levels so it sounds like I'm playing with the track, it's great.... but in a live setting, it's just not the same.

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

I've always preferred stomp boxes..they sound more amp-like & natural.

However I did pick up a Boss GT-6 when it was first out, just for the convenience of having a whole lot of effects in one unit. Unfortunately, I had to quit playing (nerve problems) a few weeks after I'd bought it & could'nt touch a guitar for the next 5 years. ....finally started playing again last year.

Since then I've got it out of storage & tried it out a few times, but have'nt really got the hang of programming it... too many parameters & sub-parameters ..lol. I prefer to just turn a knob till things sound right, so I've started buying pedals again to replace lost/broken/sold ones I used to have. In the end I'm just more used to/comfortable with pedals...
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

If I could I would not deal with anything in front of the amp.

But I do like some effect every now and again (univibe, flanger, reverb).

I hated multieffects until I bought a Line 6 M5. It sounds pretty damn good. The effects sound really good and are fully adjustable just like the pedals they are based around.

The weak spots in the pedal are some of the dirt models. The Dist+ model sounds awesome, the DOD250 sounds awesome too. The tubescreamer sounds like garbage and the classic drive which is supposed to be like a JCM800 does not sound too good either. I will say that if you mess with them enough you can get them to sound good but they are still not all that great. Some models I could use often though (I really like the Dist+ low gain sounds).

Anyway, I have a nice overdrive on my amp and I can use the effects and the dirt sometimes for variety. I am happy with my little setup.

I DO think that individual pedals sound better but in the end, this covers way more ground, is more convenient, is cheaper, and sounds really good. I think that even if I had the money, time and patience for a big pedalboard with everything I wanted, I would still choose a nice multi effects unit with a couple pedals I am picky about (compressors and boosts).
                      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I love BOSS effect pedals. As a Result, though some people would barf at the notion, I would happily use a BOSS ME-xx.

I would wish for more control over Delay times, like the giga delay, which lets you dial in specific tempos, but I digress.

For all other purposes, in my opinion, individual pedals is the way to go.

Comment

mmhmm.. i used to use a multi effects pedal when i had a crappy solid state practice amp. once i got a decent amp, the multi effects just wouldn't do. I say if you're going for some crazy sound with tons of stuff on it at the same time (overdrive, compressor, delay/reverb, tremolo, whatever else) then multi effects might be alright. But if you're like me and would only ever use an overdrive and maybe a delay if you had to, buy a couple pedals and forget the multi effects.. also what everyone else is saying, they take a lot of learning to figure out how to tweak each little parameter and get it to work for you, those physical knobs on each individual pedal are a big difference..
                          "Time flies like arrows, and fruit flies like bananas."

Comment

It just depends.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I heart pedals. Multi effects tend to lead to playing around and tweaking crap more than making music . . .
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X