Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Here's the scenario:

I currently own an Ampeg Scrambler reissue pedal. I bought it new in 2006 and it's something that stays on my board and gets enough use that I'd want to keep it (also the finest bass fuzz I've ever used).

Some of you may know the history of the Scrambler. It was originally produced only in 1968-69 and about 2500 of them were ever made. They were reissued in 2005-06 and then again discontinued. The originals sell currently upwards of $1000. The reissues now go for $300-$400 on eBay as well.

I happened to go by the BYOC site today and lo and behold, they have a Scrambler clone kit for $70. Apparently it sounds identical to the original. I have built a couple of BYOC pedals in the past, and I have no doubt as to the quality of the parts and pieces they provide.

The question is: Should I keep the reissue pedal I have, or build a clone and then sell off the reissue and pocket the extra cash? What would you do?
    Last edited by Powdered Toast Man; 09-24-2012, 12:14 AM.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Re: What would you do?

Build the clone, compare, and if you cant tell the difference sell the reissue?

Comment

+1
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Build the clone and use it...keep your real one nice for when the market recovers.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by SteveAlysis View Post
          Build the clone, compare, and if you cant tell the difference sell the reissue?
          This is what I would do.

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          Build the clone and use it...keep your real one nice for when the market recovers.
          This is probably smarter, though.
          I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Working...
          X