aspen pittman tube amp book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspen pittman tube amp book

so i read the book finally and he recommends that the capacitors be replaced every bunch of years. really?

Re: aspen pittman tube amp book

Yep - Filter and bypass caps. They do tend to go bad over time. Makes a big difference.

Comment

absolutely. My old amps needed and benefitted from swaps.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've always heard that you want to check the caps about once a decade. Electrolytic cap values slowly drift over time, especially if the amp isn't being used.
        Last edited by schecterplayer; 09-26-2012, 04:50 PM. Reason: Clarification
        Originally posted by ratherdashing
        If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

I'm not a tech so take this with a grain of salt....

Newer manufactured caps should last longer than old originals. Replacing about every decade should be a bit much. I've read 20 to 30 years. Of course, replace when you see signs of failure, leaking or bubbling on the ends regardless of age.

Also take heed to the warning of the high voltages.

Comment

To clarify, you probably won't need to replace them every decade, but it would be a good idea to check your component values about that often to make sure things are still in good working order.
            Originally posted by ratherdashing
            If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

As a guy that has changed a LOT of caps over the years...I'd have to say it depends on a lot of factors.

Generally speaking, the lower the rating temperature, the longer the cap will last. I have personal equipment with low temp metal cans that are over 50 years old that function perfectly. I still get the occasional late 60's amp with original caps that don't need replacing. A little relaxatiion in value can really sound good but it depends on the circuit it filters.

Newer caps are less predictable and they tend to fail before their value reduces. I used to replace the Mallory caps in old Fender amps at 30 years and LCR caps in old Marshall amps at about 20 years...today's caps don't have the same indicators of imminent failure like the older ones, at least as I've found.

All in all, I really don't see a lot of cap failures but replacing every 10 years is way excessive.
              Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Working...
              X