Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What combo of speakers for 4x12??

Hey guys,
    i just got a metro amp replica of a super bass and i love that greenback-ish les paul or strat into a cranked marshall sound. since i play in a 3 piece band, i figured i should combine some spekers to get a fuller sound on stage. also it will give me more flexability in the studio. im buying speakers from wgs becuse they collaberate with the company building my 4x12 cab.

wgs terms:
    invader http://wgs4.com/invader-50-50-watts a green back clone but higher power

reaper hp http://wgs4.com/content/ReaperHP a clone of the g12 h30 but higher powered and a bit more greenback voiced

vet 30 http://wgs4.com/content/vet30 vintage 30 clone

i figured the two invaders could be the main greenback sound, then id compliment it with either 2 reaper hp's (g12h30) or maybe a reaper hp and vet 30, or 2 reaper hp's, a vet 30, and one invader. those are the 3 combinations i am trying to decide between. i'd probably mic one of the invaders live as the main sound and the reaper hp would fill out some of the lows and highs. (ive heard it does that really well with other speakers) In the studio, having the invaders, reaper and vet 30 would just give me alot of options recording wise. the one thing stopping me from getting this cabinet with 2 invaders, one reaper hp, and a vet 30 (or 2 reapers and 1 invader and vet each) is that i dont know how those speakers will compliment or not compliment each other in the same box. i dont want the cab to just sound like mush or dull. most importantly will a combo of those 3 speakers fight each other frequency wise? i know 2 types is safer but if i could benefit from the 3, then id like to do that. (i also play some more modern guitar tones but mostly the old stuff)

from doing research it seems like most people love combining speakers but ive heard a few people say that a cabinet with a combination of speakers makes the sound dull and not great. (one post that said that was from alex who makes "alex's attenuators")

since I've heard more positive than negative, I'm not worried but my main concern is what combo to do.

so sorry for the long message but thank you so much for all of the help!!! ill be ordering soon

Re: What combo of speakers for 4x12??

2 x g12 h30 (reaper)
    2 x vintage 30 (vet 30)

great combination

Comment

Re: What combo of speakers for 4x12??

Originally posted by RealtyViking View Post
      2 x g12 h30 (reaper)
      2 x vintage 30 (vet 30)

great combination
      This. After doing some speaker mixing, I've come to the conclusion that I like 2 of the same on top and 2 of the same on bottom, with the bassier ones at the bottom. The reason is that when you walk left to right around the cabinet, both angles sound the same. This is contrary to the common way of mixing in a criss cross pattern. And it's easier to remember where your speakers are in the cab. You always remember what's on top and what's on bottom.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
      X