Sonic Diffusers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic Diffusers?

Aye, I know I've started a whole mess of threads in here lately, but I'm going to buy something soon, I promise.

Anyway, I was looking around online on my continuing quest to find the right cab and speaker, when I came across these.

I'd never heard of them before, but it's an interesting idea. Anyone here used one before? Anyone think it's a good or bad idea? For the price, I suppose it might worth a punt.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Re: Sonic Diffusers?

Are those just over-engineered beam-blockers?
    MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
    Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

Looks a lot like these:

http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html

or these:

I've always been intrigued with the idea myself, but ended up just going with some tape and cardboard over the speaker grille for a functional (if ugly) version of the same.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoMonster View Post
        Are those just over-engineered beam-blockers?
        Pretty much. I was under the impression that, instead of just blocking the beam of high treble, they are intended to redirect it and spread it out more. So the treble isn't really blocked, just redirected, and your sound fills out more when you're standing off to the side of your amp. No idea if that's how they work, but I thought it seemed like a cool idea.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Honestly, this thread rekindled my interested in going down to the wrecking yard, picking up a couple hubcaps and rigging them up infront of my amp. One of these would be awesome:

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That would look ridiculously badass.

You'd need to add fins like this to your amp though...

Comment

What an awesome idea! I'd love to see that.

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Honestly, this thread rekindled my interested in going down to the wrecking yard, picking up a couple hubcaps and rigging them up infront of my amp. One of these would be awesome:

Comment

You might find the following discussions about speaker dispersion interesting.

Jay knows his stuff when it comes to audio. If he says it works, I'm inclined to believe it.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee View Post
                  You might find the following discussions about speaker dispersion interesting.

Jay knows his stuff when it comes to audio. If he says it works, I'm inclined to believe it.
                  Well, I do believe that's a [/thread] moment, right there.

Thanks for posting that, dude. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X