Greenbacks for my JTM45??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenbacks for my JTM45??

The one thing in my setup that I haven't played around with is the speakers in my 1936 cab. It's a 90's version with the stock G12-T75 speakers. They're probably not the ideal speaker for getting the best out of my reissue JTM45, so I was toying with a speaker swap. I thought that Greenbacks would work well as I'm pretty sure that's what is in the combos.

Any other thoughts??

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: Greenbacks for my JTM45??

Greenbacks or Alnicos...

I have a G12M/G12H combo in my JTM cab.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way but if you're using G12T-75s with a JTM45 you haven't even really heard that amp yet!

The earliest ones used silver frame Alnico G12's and the later ones used G12M20's...

I'd go for something along either of those lines...G12M25's are going to be the easiest to find and afford and are still damn fine speakers
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Hey Stevie that amp sounded simply awesome with both G12M and H's alone and a combination of both. I prefered the H30's myself, they seem to have more thump and clarity... but the M's were great if you just want to crank the amp. I found the sweet spot around 2 o'clock and it sure was a sweet spot.

Comment

Lean Business are now selling WGS Speakers and have their G12-65 clone for sale at £65 each. THat's about half the price of a chinese Celestion G12-65 http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop...31fc0ba0bbc593

I haven't used them myself but I hear WGS make great speakers and think they'd suit the amp too.

Comment

The Greenbacks would be the way to go. It absolutely changed the way my amp sounded.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have a WGS Green Beret and a Reaper (Greenback and G12H30 clone, respectively) in a plexi. The Plexi is the next step after the JTM45, so somewhat similar, and I LOVE LOVELOVE it. Go for it. I definitely recommend WGS.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
              Originally posted by Securb
              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

wait, what about 45 watts, if it'll be being cranked, it might stress the cones of those greenbacks. I know for sure I wouldnt risk it cause of me wanting to play very loud; You know the old formulae, the speaker cabinet should ideally be twice the power handling of the amp.
                If you want a real scorching sound, just stick a Celestion Vintage 30 in with that G12T-75, and that should be a better combination.
                If you do want greenbacks, or G12H-30's, go with Eminence higher power clones. Not exactly greenbacks, but they sound pretty fair ( I like the Tonker).
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have an original marshall bluesbreaker (e.g., JTM-45 style combo with tremolo) and original speakers. Super nice, but too loud to play in clubs!

I also have a Reissue Bluebreaker combo that has two Celestion greenbacks in it. Also very nice.

I had and like a stupid mindless money hungry jerk sold a Marshall 1959 Plexi with a angle cabinet. (Hey, at the time I needed the money) It had greenbacks in that cabinet. Super loud and very nice tone, too heavy to carry by yourself up stairs.

Finally, I have a Celtic Edana head clone of the JTM-45 that I run with a mix of two Weber AlNiCo Blue Dogs and two Weber AlNiCo Silver Bells into an (Get this) open back cabinet that is coupled with a sound enhancer cabinet (Folder horn) - Killer tone machine that can not be beat!
                  Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                  When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                  Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                  Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                  Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    wait, what about 45 watts, if it'll be being cranked, it might stress the cones of those greenbacks. I know for sure I wouldnt risk it cause of me wanting to play very loud; You know the old formulae, the speaker cabinet should ideally be twice the power handling of the amp.
                    If you want a real scorching sound, just stick a Celestion Vintage 30 in with that G12T-75, and that should be a better combination.
                    If you do want greenbacks, or G12H-30's, go with Eminence higher power clones. Not exactly greenbacks, but they sound pretty fair ( I like the Tonker).
                    Jer, a JTM is a 30 watter.... granted a loud 30 but 30 non the less. If my memory serves me right, the Greenbacks aren't the most efficient speakers so Stevie would be able to get the up a bit more without killing everyone.

Comment

Are there any Greenback/Heritage/A N other equivalents I should consider?

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

My '79 JMP 2104 (50W 2x12 Combo) came to me with Greenbacks and I've never had a problem and love the sound.
                        Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 11-22-2012, 08:20 AM.
                        MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                        1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                        1988 Kramer Nightswan
                        1989 Charvel Sambora
                        2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                        Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                        Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                          The G12H Heritages would be killer. I would suggest Scumbacks, but shipping across the pond is a ***** for speakers.
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Brow View Post
                            Lean Business are now selling WGS Speakers and have their G12-65 clone for sale at £65 each. THat's about half the price of a chinese Celestion G12-65 http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop...31fc0ba0bbc593

I haven't used them myself but I hear WGS make great speakers and think they'd suit the amp too.
                            The ET65? It's only £60.

I actually have one of those coming in this week. I'll report back, if you're interested.
                            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                              The G12EVH is the same speaker as the Heritage. This was confirmed by the N.A. rep at The Gear Page. They usually sell for much less then the Heritage - at least here in the states.

I had a Metropoulos GPM 45 (JTM 45) that sounded glorious through a pair of Celestion Golds. Second choice would be Greenbacks.
                              Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Working...
                              X