Clarifications on Mesa Boogies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarifications on Mesa Boogies

tried out a buddy's Rectifier today, it was really nice, played in on crunchs ettings. We chatted 'bout Mesas for a bit, and he recommended I look into the stiletto series. SO I found there's a few different ones, but since they now seem to be discontinued, finding any decent info on them is proving difficult.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Ace, Deuce II and trident models?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Clarifications on Mesa Boogies

Have you tried Google?

As far as I know Ace = 50W, Duece = 100W, Trident = 150W.

There may be some differences in the preamps but other than that they just have different poweramp, Duece and Trident having aswitch for amking them 50W.
    Originally posted by Jamie Hyneman
    When in doubt... C4
    "Biologists think they are biochemists,
    Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
    Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
    Physicists think they are Gods,
    And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

"Physicists defer only to mathematicians, mathematicians defer only to God."

Comment

I have indeed tried this oracle which you call "the googloid", didn't find anything that really spelled it out.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Stilettos for the most part have all the same features as far as "voicing" modes go. The Deuce and Trident have switchable 50w/100w(150w for Trident) and switchable tube/SS rectifier. You may also be able to find an Ace in a Combo. There are technically two versions. The first release, or V1 is a good, solid amp. I had the Duece. It has a decent crunch mode, the cleans are REALLY nice, maybe only the Lone Star series or MarkIV can do better cleans. The Tite gain is just that....high gain and tight, searing and articulate. The Fluid drive is VERY bassy, thick, meaty, grindy, but can be a bit on the flubby side. There is a "Hollywood mod" available for the V1, which bumps the gain on the Tite Gain and Fluid drive up by 30% and 10% respectively, and the mod also helps tame some of the flubby "sub bass" frequencies on the Fluid mode. The FX loop is better than the Rectos of the past IMO and the Solo boost is nice for leads. The current version (V2) of the Stiletto has a slight tweak to the preamp similar to the Hollywood mod, with maybe a touch more gain, and the output transformer has been redesigned to keep the lower frequencies tighter. Otherwise, it's essentially the same as the previous Stiletto.

LP Custom
        Greenbacks
        Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
          I have indeed tried this oracle which you call "the googloid", didn't find anything that really spelled it out.
          Well I must have Google 2.0 then cause I found much very easily. Lycka till.
          Originally posted by Jamie Hyneman
          When in doubt... C4
          "Biologists think they are biochemists,
          Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
          Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
          Physicists think they are Gods,
          And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

"Physicists defer only to mathematicians, mathematicians defer only to God."

Comment

Working...
          X