NAD: Kemper Profiling Amp (w/clips!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Kemper Profiling Amp (w/clips!)

This is the first purchase I've made in a long time that has seriously inspired my playing. Threw this together tonight after fiddling with some patches, really loving how it all sits in the mix but more important how it feels to play. Total gamechanger IMO.

It's late and my ears are shot but I *think* soundcloud is skewing the top end even more than just the straight 192kbps mp3 I have on dropbox, so have a listen there too and see if I'm insane:

Chain is in the soundcloud link, just Stinnett w/Duncans straight into the Kemper.

Anyone else on here jumped on the train yet? I haven't been on the forum in ages aside from trying to sell the odd item here and there, really need to get back in the loop.
    www.JeffDunne.com

Re: NAD: Kemper Profiling Amp (w/clips!)

You should totally post more songs! I loved that! Massive sounding mix.

P.S. HNAD!
    Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
    Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
    Musicians are ****ing retards.
    Originally posted by ex-250
    Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

That sounds pretty awesome man!! congrats as well!
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I have been gassing for that for awhile, and that kemper sticky aint helping things

congrats! I have been dying to know what a fuzz pedal sounds like through a kemper, the kemper forum says pedals are fine but I hear no clips. also I know you can model a pedal and an amp together a bit better than the axefxii it seems; I am looking forward to hearing virtualkevorkian clips/reviews

that mix sounds siiick as hell, AS USUAL

Comment

Riffs are very Gojira-ish. Nice tone.
          Originally posted by GuitarDoc
          Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Sounds great. I tried one out at the last LA Amp Show, and went away impressed.

Are you finding your best tones within it's own library, or have you begun modeling all the tube amps you can get your hands on?
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

AFAIK the built-in profiles aren't bad, but the real value is in the massive libraries of user-submitted profiles. There are some heavy hitters out there providing some seriously well-profiled amps.

The Kemper is definitely on my wish list, especially when it comes time to do some guitar tracks again. The idea of being able to take the sound I get in our room with my amps and mics and duplicate it exactly to use any time is almost too appealing for words.

Great score, VK!!
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Fantastic!
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Cheers for the comments, guys!

GJ, I've just had it for a day so I haven't gotten into profiling anything yet, but as sosomething said there's a massive user library. That said, as would be expected with any user library of patches... most of them kind of suck. There are a few real gems, but the most consistently awesome patches I've found have been from www.TheAmpFactory.com; both models used in this clip were from them, and until I start profiling on my own I have a feeling they'll be my go-to patches.
                  www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Sound is nice, where is the real playing?
                    Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                    When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                    Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                    Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Firstly, you're a very good player which is always going to make stuff sound better. These things sound great but too complicated for my tastes but if they did a 1 x 12 combo with a selection of classic Marshall sounds I'd be very interested.

Comment

Just listened to the clip, finally (now that I can).

Damn!

When did you start playing lead? IIRC your stuff was always rhythm-centric. Nice chops!

The thing that is really tripping me out about that clip is how the notes/chords decay and shift when they're held out. No modeler can pull that off. That is what amps sound like in the room. Crazy!
                        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I am a user in the orange forum I made a thread on kemper, might be a bit interesting for those looking into getting a kemper, I have been listening to ampfactory clips on youtube over the past two weeks, they sound the best as far as modeling I have heard so far, a bit vanilla sounding clips but ya they would prolly fool me as far as real amp recording or kemper:

this video compares the kemper profile of orange rockerverb 50

to

rockerverb 50

pretty cool :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwqYAOVQeZE

also here is rob chappers with the dark terror for ONE HOUR WHOAA!!! dark terror is in first half of video.

Greetings and thank you for watching this video. Below are some links to products that I use: ThomannMy guitar ►► https://redir.love/61EwP3naMy amp ►► htt...

and check out this from premier producer of extreme metal andy sneap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1zI6pEu0A

Comment

sounds great. Is the main use of these to profile an amp to then use in a direct-recording situation, as a preamp into a power amp w/cab, or do you think it would excel at both?

I still don't get how it would get past the initial sound used to profile, as in - after you profile an amp and use it, when you turn down the treble and preamp gain let's say - would it behave in the exact manner as the original, or would it just roll off the treble and reduce the gain in its own way?

+1 on the killer solo - wow, you've got quite a lead "voice" going on these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                              Sound is nice, where is the real playing?
                              Apparently you didn't listen to the entire clip - I'd expect nothing less of you.

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                              Firstly, you're a very good player which is always going to make stuff sound better.
                              This is ultimately what a lot of it comes down to; my hands are so specific sounding that I'm never going to get away from 'that' tone. I think it sounds pretty damn good, though, so I must be doing something right!

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                              When did you start playing lead? IIRC your stuff was always rhythm-centric. Nice chops!

The thing that is really tripping me out about that clip is how the notes/chords decay and shift when they're held out. No modeler can pull that off. That is what amps sound like in the room. Crazy!
                              I've always dabbled, and there's a pretty shreddy lead section on the first Good Age album we did, but I wasn't incredibly confident in my composition of leads until about two years ago. I've found that a few takes of improv, picking out the best parts, and then re-recording in as few takes as possible tends to lead to the most natural and least contrived results.

The movement/decay is one of the things I wanted to showcase with this clip/riff; it really, really reacts like a real amp mic'd up. I'll be posting a solo'd version of the guitars later today, should provide some insight to the amount of movement and 'breath' that the thing has, especially on the riff at the end with the heavy palm mute contrast.

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                              sounds great. Is the main use of these to profile an amp to then use in a direct-recording situation, as a preamp into a power amp w/cab, or do you think it would excel at both?

I still don't get how it would get past the initial sound used to profile, as in - after you profile an amp and use it, when you turn down the treble and preamp gain let's say - would it behave in the exact manner as the original, or would it just roll off the treble and reduce the gain in its own way?

+1 on the killer solo - wow, you've got quite a lead "voice" going on these days.
                              It'd be fine at both - each 'profile' contains a distinct 'amp' and 'cab' section, which can be mixed/matched, so you can run it into a poweramp/cab setup and also send a full amp+cab signal straight to the FoH to get the best of both worlds.

It doesn't match the amplifier EQ stack (yet...), but it does have eq controls that work pretty much as expected; I've not found too many instances where I wish the eq controls behaved differently. The gain is the biggest issue; you really want to have the gain setting in the same ballpark as you'll be using it (ie; going from low to dimed gain won't respond like a real amp would, you'd want 2-4 profiles to cover clean, low-gain, mid-gain, and high-gain per amp).

Cheers! I generally think people (esp in the metal genre) try to say too much with solos. I'm more into tasty bits of flash thrown in with actual movement.
                              www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Working...
                              X