Gear snobbery and stereotypes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gear snobbery and stereotypes

A very important thing to remember is that some of the absolute BEST songs and albums were made with the absolute WORST gear.

The Stairway to Heaven solo? A telecaster (good) into a small, cheap, 1x10"ish amp. The lead runs towards the end of Bohemian Rhapsody? May's Red Special (which he revealed was pieced together from SCRAPS of a fireplace mantle and veneers, a bicycle handle, and a part from a sewing machine for the G tuning peg), into a semi-broken tiny tiny tiny cheap, single 6" speaker no-name amp Roger Taylor had. Black Sabbath's debut album? They couldn't even afford to put on new strings and recorded the entire album in one take, non-stop, as a live set in the studio because they could only afford two studio sessions (the second day was for mixing).

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876
      A very important thing to remember is that some of the absolute BEST songs and albums were made with the absolute WORST gear.

The Stairway to Heaven solo? A telecaster (good) into a small, cheap, 1x10"ish amp. The lead runs towards the end of Bohemian Rhapsody? May's Red Special (which he revealed was pieced together from SCRAPS of a fireplace mantle and veneers, a bicycle handle, and a part from a sewing machine for the G tuning peg), into a semi-broken tiny tiny tiny cheap, single 6" speaker no-name amp Roger Taylor had. Black Sabbath's debut album? They couldn't even afford to put on new strings and recorded the entire album in one take, non-stop, as a live set in the studio because they could only afford two studio sessions (the second day was for mixing).
      Yuuuup.

This was recorded very quickly (a couple sessions) using a Marshall with a missing speaker, and it had other functional problems... the guys did not even have money to buy food and were ready to leave music because they were struggling so badly.

3:32 is one of my favorite solos of all time.

This song is very cool too. When it was recorded KK was using a borrowed guitar. Didn't even have his own stuff....

Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

BEST songs and albums were made with the absolute WORST gear.
        How can it be worst if it works?

Comment

In terms of those songs, it's all about the tone your going for.
          Originally posted by grumptruck
          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
          Originally posted by Gear Used
          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

So I finally jammed with the guy last night. After being in the same band for over 4 years, I forgot how much I hate doing this. It's awkward meeting someone for the first time, trying to break the ice, not knowing what to expect. It's like casual dating. I like the comfort of being in a relationship and being myself, now I gotta be on edge till things settle.

That being said, it was a good night. The guy can play albeit slightly different style of the musical spectrum than me. He's more blues, classic rock orientated and I'm more modern. That being said, we do share a common ground on influences, so hopefully it meshes. We're on the same page in terms of goals, expectations, time frames, material (covers vs originals vs mix), he has a family and a day job and not looking to tour across country. So right there, it's a fit. I'm hoping this meshes, call it laziness but I don't feel like "dating" it's too much effort ha.

He's a song writer as well and can play lead.

He used my spare tube amp. His wife won't let him get a new amp right now, but he said he'll invest in one down the line. I got the feeling that if things work out and we start playing out, he'll give his wife more reasons why he needs a better amp. Nice thing is, they don't cost too much in terms of getting a decent amp used (marshall dsl, fender, vox) or new Carvin Legacy, etc.
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Originally posted by Gear Used
            PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
            Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Working...
            X