Overdrive in effects loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive in effects loop

What is the reason for the generally held opinion that you don't put overdrive pedals in the effects loop ? If you put a clean boost in the front end of your amp it will increase the gain but if you put it in the loop it will just make the amp louder. So if you put your o/d in the loop it should give you the option of more gain plus a volume boost for solos. Wouldn't it work the same as an onboard switchable extra gain/volume stage ?

Re: Overdrive in effects loop

No idea beyond - pushing the pre-amp tubes.

But I think you´ve just inspired me to try it out for myself.

Comment

Usually, an overdrive isn't a pedal designed to distort itself but, designed to push the gain of your tubes and give them and earlier and beefier break up, instead. Imagine them as an additional tube before your V1.

Distortions are designed to distort themselves and radically modify the input signal. You can see them as a high saturated tube or the last triode in a cascaded high gain amp, just before the PI or driver.

But there is nothing wrong trying it and, if it works for you, just do it!.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Normally I like time based stuff in the effects loop,though I've used volume pedals in the loop and it's worked fine(Depending on series or parallel)...I've not tryed an overdrive pedal there,but would be worth trying!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Because every gear snob tells you that you can't do that. They think it's both ethically and morally wrong. You will gain a really bad reputation among the guitarists in the world if they hear about this.

Go for it man and tell us about the results!
          Burny RLG-60, Baton Rouge AR81C/GACE
          Line6 Helix LT, DV Mark Little 250GH, DV Mark Neoclassic 212

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
          Musicians are ****ing retards.
          Originally posted by ex-250
          Beer can never be the source of wrong.

Comment

I've had very good results with ODs & clean boosts in the loop for simple clean boosts.

But if you add drive it can get nasty very quickly. Oh and VERY loud.

This can differ between different amps & loops especially depending on the placement of the loop in the circuit
            Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
            http://fret.boards.net

Comment

The signal levels in an effects loop can be much higher than the signal from an instrument. Some pedals are designed to handle instrument levels while others can handle line level signals. An instrument pedal can distort and attenuate your signal if used in the effects loop.

The best way to find out is to try it. If it sounds good, do it!
              Originally posted by DreX
              Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
              The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
              There's no substance to anything I have posted.
              Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
              I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

I don't have any need to do this I just got to wondering why so many folks say you shouldn't. I can't understand why it's not the same as having another gain stage in the amp.

Comment

Pedals get their basis sound from the preamp....this way it is just the pedal without any colouration or amplification from the preamp...
                  Most of the time...it just do not sound very good!

Comment

Vasshu etc. - have you tried it ? If so, what exactly did you do ? I'm curious and I could easily walk upstairs, fire up the amp and try it out but I am a man of formidable lethargy.

Comment

Yeah...and just had myself testing it again, same result as I remembered, thin, unpleasent attack, not too far off how the pedal normally sounds, but the feel is close to gone, unpleasent harmonics as they are not subdued as much as they usually gets with tubes, and is extra thin and brittle.
                      Not much to that.
                      Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I've done it before and I thought it sounded like crap.

Comment

I ran a Satchurator in an effects loop once.

Once.

Originally posted by nedcronin
                          Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                          Originally posted by metalmachine
                          dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Working...
                          X