banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Marshalls are Jeff playing in this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Marshalls are Jeff playing in this?

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: What Marshalls are Jeff playing in this?

That was recorded in 1972 so that really narrows the options...

No way to really tell from that clip if it's a plexi front or an early metal front but it can't be any later than a 1972 and the truth is I doubt it's that new...it's not like Jeff was buying the newest thing every time a change was made. It's clearly a pair of 100 watt heads. past that...not sure. That said it doesn't matter much...it's an old school 100 watt Marshall.

That's a 1954 Strat he's playing he won in a game of poker from Steve Marriott and at times you can see the stripped burst LP on a stand, that is the guitar he used all over Truth and has double cream PAFs in it.

Also worth noting, he's not plugged straight in...Jeff was HEAVY into the Colorsound Overdriver/Power Booster during this period.
    Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 10-07-2012, 04:25 PM.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

That's a great clip! Thanks for posting

Comment

One heck of a sound!

Comment

Just realized the Bass player is playing through a Sunn amp and cabinet!
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

And Jeff is playing with a pick...
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S. View Post
              And Jeff is playing with a pick...
              Great tone. Anybody know what kind of pick to get that tone?

Comment

I've never seen a black man with a fro-mullet before.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

That's a 1954 Strat he's playing he won in a game of poker from Steve Marriott
                  Is it not a 60's body though??

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                    Is it not a 60's body though??
                    Ya know, I've heard a lot of stories...

I know that the guard on the 54 Strat got broken so that's the guard and I know he stripped the 54 so it could be the body...at one point that same body and guard plate got a CBS head, RW board neck...

Jeff also mentioned how great the pickups were but said that they squealed real bad and said in the interview that he threw them out!

I wish I knew more about that guitar for sure because it sounds real good!
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsyblue View Post
                      Great tone. Anybody know what kind of pick to get that tone?
                      I vote vintage ones!

Comment

I love how guitarists were loud and proud back then, busting out a stack with 2 heads.

Now, everyone's a pussy. Back then, a lunchbox was the box you put your sandwich in, not your goddam amp! LOL
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Enter the age of the wimpy tones....
                          Yeah ole Jeff sounded like great back then as well....
                          He still uses big amps, sometimes some small ones....what type and such is of no matter...he just sounds like Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                            I love how guitarists were loud and proud back then, busting out a stack with 2 heads.

Now, everyone's a pussy. Back then, a lunchbox was the box you put your sandwich in, not your goddam amp! LOL
                            Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

The top head was a spare...

Use the amps that the venue or gig call for I say...here Jeff just 2 short year later using a 20ish watt Ampeg combo...

Comment

Working...
                              X