Thinking of building a 2x12 cabinet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of building a 2x12 cabinet.

I have all the tools necessary, and ideas. I know the parts necessary, I just can't decide on a speaker.

I know I want an eminence speaker, but the problem is I don't know what would provide the fattest sound in a 2x12. So do you have any speaker suggestions?
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Originally posted by CTN
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Re: Thinking of building a 2x12 cabinet.

Originally posted by youngthrasher9 View Post
    I have all the tools necessary, and ideas. I know the parts necessary, I just can't decide on a speaker.

I know I want an eminence speaker, but the problem is I don't know what would provide the fattest sound in a 2x12. So do you have any speaker suggestions?
    It depends how you define fat.

I'd hazard a guess at big/thick/chunky?

If so i'd try the swamp thang.

Eminence are the best people to email about this though they're really handy.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Swamp Thang is a good suggestion . . . C. Rex also has a nice sound with a good amount of low end if you're looking for a cleaner tone.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

if you can find them P-50Es....
        Originally posted by grumptruck
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Originally posted by Gear Used
        PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
        Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

I'm stuck between the swamp thing and the tonespotter. I'm afraid if I get the swamp thing it will have too much chunk in the low end.

The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
          Originally posted by CTN
          I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
          FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

I have a C Rex loaded verticle 2x12, and it's way huge sounding. They don't distort much at all, and take a good while to fully break in, but they just sound killer.
            - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
            Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
            The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I'm stuck between the swamp thing and the tonespotter. I'm afraid if I get the swamp thing it will have too much chunk in the low end.
              I like the Tonespotter myself

Comment

I like the V12 Legends in a 2x12. I pulled the V30's out of my Randall 2x12 and with the Legends the cab easily sounds twice a big. Handles any amount of bass, and if your tone lacks lows, it also makes your tone sound fatter. Smooth highs, and nice low mids.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                  I like the V12 Legends in a 2x12. I pulled the V30's out of my Randall 2x12 and with the Legends the cab easily sounds twice a big. Handles any amount of bass, and if your tone lacks lows, it also makes your tone sound fatter. Smooth highs, and nice low mids.
                  I think we have a winner.

Originally posted by CTN

Comment

Would you say they are tighter?

I've had them described to me as a less middy tighter v30.

If so that could be what I need...
                    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

These are the ones right? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...h-tone-speaker

Originally posted by CTN

Comment

I would highly recommend the WGS speakers... over Eminence. All Eminence speakers have a particular cardboard sounding midrange hump that you will not find in Celestion or WGS. IMHO
                        "Play like a Champion"
                        PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                        Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                        Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Yes those are them. If you want 16 ohm versions you have to order direct from either Krank or Soldano.

Toe-Knee, yes your description is pretty accurate. Next to my V30's, they sound thicker, tighter & less upper middy. Clearer tone as well.
                          Last edited by Van Noord; 10-10-2012, 05:44 PM.
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                          ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I would buy an Avatar speaker cab, the modern one would be easier
                            Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
                            Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
                            I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
                            Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
                            Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
                            Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
                            Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
                            Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

I want to do something kind of like this...

I had an idea that I could get a set of 4 celestion rocket 50 speakers at 50 watts apiece. Then, I could make 2 2x12 amps with 2 speakers each(going sideways) One would serve as a combo amp, and it would have an output so you could use the other simply as a cab and just plug the output of the combo into the cab if you need greater volume. I have absolutely no experience in amp wiring, so could somebody link me a schematic or something like that so I could make this?

Comment

Working...
                              X