Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Versatility for a cover gig?

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Simon is right on the money. Your tone is far less important than how well you play the song, and how well you and the band capture the vibe of the song. Using gear you are comfortable with is probably the best way to achieve that.

My suggestion is to start off with your normal rig and see how it goes. Tweak as needed. I wouldn't bother with a super versatile rig for a cover band.
    Yeah, being comfortable with a peice of gear has a lot to do with how well I can use it.

More than anything I need to be able to access and change/control whatever I have really easily.

Comment

Honestly, I'd go with a used Axe Ultra or Kemper, a Behringer FCB1010, and a poweramp like the Art SLA2 for axe or EH44+ for KPA into a 2x12 if not just a powered speaker. If I was doing a lot of cover-based gigging (read: frequent gigs but no roadies or load-in crew as you'd usually get in a touring situation), the absolute last thing I want to deal with is a heavy head + 4x12 + FX rig in addition to my guitars.
      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

I do a weekly jam and we cover styles ranging from Country to Metal. I use a Dr Z Maz 38, Fulltone GT 500, HBE Compressor and a Les Paul. I can ride the volume controls on the Les paul and get what I need for anything.

The trick to covers is knowing the songs not really copping tones. People just drink beer and listen to the vocals anyway. I
        Last edited by Archer_of_Fish; 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM.
        Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Originally posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post
          I do a weekly jam and we cover styles ranging from Country to Metal. I use a Dr Z Maz 38, Fulltone GT 500, HBE Compressor and a Les Paul. I can ride the volume controls on the Les paul and get what I need for anything.

The trick to covers is knowing the songs not really copping tones. People just drink beer and listen to the vocals anyway.
          After considering this post a bit... I think I may take stock of what tunes we'll be playing most often and see how much ground my current gear will cover.

I should add that this project will involve some audience participation, so accuracy is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
            Honestly, I'd go with a used Axe Ultra or Kemper, a Behringer FCB1010, and a poweramp like the Art SLA2 for axe or EH44+ for KPA into a 2x12 if not just a powered speaker.
            I reeeaaally need to read up on the latest version of the Axe FX and the Kemper as a whole. Does the Kemper do effects?

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
            If I was doing a lot of cover-based gigging (read: frequent gigs but no roadies or load-in crew as you'd usually get in a touring situation), the absolute last thing I want to deal with is a heavy head + 4x12 + FX rig in addition to my guitars.
            Yeah you have a point. When I last gigged I did it all myself and paid a friend in beer to help load the band in.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
              I reeeaaally need to read up on the latest version of the Axe FX and the Kemper as a whole. Does the Kemper do effects?
              It does indeed! Give me a call sometime this weekend and we can go over it; I've had the KPA for about a week now and think it could be perfect for what you're going for, especially when it comes to on-the-fly tweakability, learning curve, and ease of use.
              www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

I'll give you a call sometime soon. I'm in the middle of an 8-day stretch of working and today's the long day with both work and school. But I'll call you and pick your brain soon enough.

Comment

I did a quick search in the kemper manual, and there are "main outs" that you can send right to the mixing board.

Audiophiles should be excited about this because it means you will get your sound only in the mix and not altered by drums etc, and it is a GREAT sound since it has IRs in it. axefx2 can do this too! axefx1 cannot since the IRs are not installed into the actual unit.

so you get the real delay ping ponging through the mixer, and you signal chain is always perfect.

Comment

Sounds good Brenno! Mondays/Wednesdays are shot for me but otherwise I should be free to take a call.

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                    I did a quick search in the kemper manual, and there are "main outs" that you can send right to the mixing board.

Audiophiles should be excited about this because it means you will get your sound only in the mix and not altered by drums etc, and it is a GREAT sound since it has IRs in it. axefx2 can do this too! axefx1 cannot since the IRs are not installed into the actual unit.

so you get the real delay ping ponging through the mixer, and you signal chain is always perfect.
                    True on all counts but the Axe1; it can and does do that and I know a few guys who run setups where they've got the cab on stage and send the direct signal to FoH. The only thing that changed in the IR section of the AxeII was the resolution of them
                    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

oh oopsies, my bad. good to learn something new though

Comment

this is exactly what you need. I've actually never seen one like it - it looks like a regular TB box with 8 loops, but IT'S PROGRAMMABLE and can control your amp. That's pretty damn cool. If that one doesn't work with your amp, they have one with just 8 pedal loops.
                        Last edited by Agileguy_101; 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                        1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                        Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I posted this one before, it looks pretty killer for a cover band if you are an audiophile:

modelerz get outdated with better stuff, you may be able to get by with your emgs in your ltd and a couple pedals really, but audiophile stuff is kinda fun

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                            this is exactly what you need. I've actually never seen one like it - it looks like a regular TB box with 8 loops, but IT'S PROGRAMMABLE and can control your amp. That's pretty damn cool. If that one doesn't work with your amp, they have one with just 8 pedal loops.
                            I've seen these types of devices before... they usually take up a lot of real estate on the pedalboard but that's one way to get it done. I would still have to add effects into it as well.

That reminds me... anyone here a Voodoo Lab GCX switcher user? I think RD had one a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post

modelerz get outdated with better stuff, you may be able to get by with your emgs in your ltd and a couple pedals really, but audiophile stuff is kinda fun
                              I like my emgs... for now In all seriousness the 85 in the neck and a 60A in the bridge has done very well for me. I'd still like to try the 18v mod on it though.

If I need more versatility and "traditional" tones as well as splitting for the upcoming project I may go with some '59/Custom hybrids.

Comment

I'm with RD...much more important to hit the right notes with the right feel than to have the exact tone. Just find the sounds you get from your current rig that get you closest, and rock on.
                                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
                                X