73 SF deluxe reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 SF deluxe reverb

There is a 73 Silver face deluxe that is in great shape, with no mods done to it, original speaker, etc in a local shop but they want $1575 for it. This seems a shade on the high side but theses things are getting harder to find every day. Do you guys think this is steep too? I may go check it out with my guitar tomorrow.

Re: 73 SF deluxe reverb

It'll likely bring that but it's more than I'd pay.

However with a new speaker a tune up and some fresh tubes that is a heck of an amp!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I look at it this way. IS the amp worth it? How does it sound? Does it give you what you want out of an amp? If you answer yes to these questions then its worth it. Doesn't mean you have to pay that..... offer them 1200$ and see what they say
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Well I went and plugged in to this amp and a 74 Vibrolux today. Both sounded really really great. Both amps were in very good shape. The DR is almost 1600 bucks and the Vibrolux was 1300. They were having some meet and greet at this shop so I kind of wasn't comfortable really turning them up. The guys at the shop were super cool and I told them I'll come back during the week when there would be less folks there. They offered to let me have at it in a soundproofed room and side by side these amps.

Comment

Having an amp based on some of the classic Tweed Deluxe amps and a SF Vibrolux, I have to say that the Vibrolux really has the richer cleans. SF amps never used to be all that popular, but I think they're fantastic amps. I'm honestly pretty surprised that they're priced as high as they are (well, the Deluxe being $1600 anyhow), but, provided they've been maintained, they have a sound you just won't find in any modern production or boutique stuff and they're extremely reliable.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Frank Lee has a BF Pro Reverb that He loves and got a decent deal on. However, if He could do it again He might go with an Allen or other quality clone. Just food for thought.

Comment

That is super steep. I would offer eight hundred.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                That is super steep. I would offer eight hundred.
                That's more or less what I was thinking. I've heard of VRs fetching $12-1300 in really good shape, but I've seen quite a few for around a grand. I don't seem to recall Deluxe Reverbs being as desirable as VRs when it comes to value either.
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Way expensive. I realize it's a different amp, but I got my 68 Bassman in a trade for my Gibson Faded SG (Probably could have sold it for 500 at the most) and the guy even gave me fifty bucks.

Wait for a better deal.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                  Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I agree with everyone else. A few months back I considered selling my 66 (blackface) Super Reverb until I found out that I could only expect to get around $900 for it.
                    Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Only $900? Wow.

I don't get why people think that old=worth a ton of money. Used to be that people thought exactly the opposite.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Yeah I can't do the 1600 bucks. It s just too outta whack. I may offer 1000 for either one and see what shakes loose. I think I like the 12" speaker better but I haven't had a chance to turn them up yet. If they won't budge off the prices I will have to wait for a better deal.
                        It is worth some extra $$ for me to get to play the amps first and buy from a local shop. I'm very skeptical about buying from eBay and having a vintage amp shipped.
                        I'm also interested in a Sligo Deluxe clone....any info on those would be appreciated.
                        Last edited by nedcronin; 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                          Only $900? Wow.

I don't get why people think that old=worth a ton of money. Used to be that people thought exactly the opposite.
                          Some of these old Fender amps are just amazing. What I don't get is why they can't still make them like they used to.
                          Originally posted by DreX
                          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Between the Vibrolux and a DR, I'd almost certainly choose the Vibrolux Reverb.

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
                              Some of these old Fender amps are just amazing. What I don't get is why they can't still make them like they used to.
                              Believe me - as the owner of a '68 Bassman and matching cab, I know.
                              Custom neck-thru strat
                              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                              1995 PRS CE24
                              D'avanzo #8
                              Breedlove Solo Concert
                              1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Working...
                              X