Blending a tube and solid state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending a tube and solid state

Anyone here ever run a tube and a solid state amp together, especially at lower bedroom levels? I have a 5 watt blackheart little giant that I use at home, and also a peavy vypyr 15 that I bought in order to move around the house, which I rarely use. Well the other day, just to see what it would sound like, I hooked them both together out of my boss me 70, and after a few minutes of finding all the right settings, and adjusting the volume of each amp up and down, I dialed a tone that is way sweeter than either amp alone. Depending on how loud I play, I tweak the volumes of each amp, with the louder I go, the more I turn the vypyr down. It's like a 65 tube, 35 ss blend mostly. Anyone else ever try this?

Re: Blending a tube and solid state

Yes. My Bassman 70 (70 watts into 4x10) and my Dime (120 watts into 4x12) are on all the time. 2 channels and 2 effects loops on the Dime with a BD-2 in front for a boost.
    I want more me in my tone.

Comment

This guitarist did it all the time, John Cipolina, one solid state and one tube.

Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by WickedCoach View Post
        Anyone here ever run a tube and a solid state amp together, especially at lower bedroom levels? I have a 5 watt blackheart little giant that I use at home, and also a peavy vypyr 15 that I bought in order to move around the house, which I rarely use. Well the other day, just to see what it would sound like, I hooked them both together out of my boss me 70, and after a few minutes of finding all the right settings, and adjusting the volume of each amp up and down, I dialed a tone that is way sweeter than either amp alone. Depending on how loud I play, I tweak the volumes of each amp, with the louder I go, the more I turn the vypyr down. It's like a 65 tube, 35 ss blend mostly. Anyone else ever try this?
        YES! Every day!

That's a 2x12 Hot Rod DeVille on the left and a 2x12 Ultimate Chorus on the right.

The solid state Ultimate Chorus is punchy and JUICY clean, even at low volume. So much punch.

The tube HRDv has a dry but round sound, with the timbre that you can only get from a tube amp. This amp also takes pedals and returns a richer sound.

Together, I get the rich timbre of a tube amp and the powerful punch of solid state, a combination that really suits me well.
        my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
        X