Looking for a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal replacement

Hi guys! I'm searching for a replacement pedal for my BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal. I'll upload a stock photo*

Thing is... I'm having problems with the output/input jacks of the OS-2. Pedal works fine, and can get quite usable tone, but having these loose jacks or whatever it is; really has bad effects on my sound.

Some problems: Up & Down Volume, Popping Sounds, Disconnection, Volume/Playing Loss, etc.

It's really ruining my sound, and patience. I can't even move on stage or ''kick it'' a little because it can ''unplug me''.

There are many ''viable'' options:

#1 Fixing the pedal output & input jacks. I'm still checking out who can do the job. The repair would last one month or more. I'm rehearsing for my new (a professional band) now. I have pressure to fix my pedal issue at once. No live shows mistakes* That leads to option #2...

#2: Buying a new overdrive or distortion pedal. The purchase will be online. Better prices and is better than 2 hours drive to ''try pedals'' at a higher than regular USA online price.

If you can see my stock BOSS OS-2 Overdrive photo....
    my actual pedal use ranges in...

#1 LEVEL at 9:30 o' clock
    #2 TONE at 12 o'clock (leaning to 1 o' clock)
    #3 DRIVE. This one goes from 11' o clock to 2' o clock (depending on the song)
    #4 COLOR at 2:30 o' clock, leaning to the DS Side.

I'm using this pedal as a ''cleaner'', bright alternative to my amp clean & overdriven sound. I use a Blackstar HT-40 amp on the vintage clean voicing, tone maxed out. The amp's overdriven channel is set with gain at 2 o'clock, volume at 3 o' clock.

I don't use the OS-2 pedal for/with my amp overdrive channel*
    My actual main guitar is my Gibson Flying V with Slash Alnico II Pro humbuckers, so I can control some of the gain.

I use the pedal for some slightly overdriven, complete chords rhytms. I need clarity. I use it for overdriven, bluesy solos when I get my guitar volume to 10. I also use need to use it for some more gain, overdriven job. That's why I also need a little ''extra gain'', in case I need it.

I'm checking out MXR Pedals. They look like quality pedals. I have a new MXR Analog Chorus, and I like the build of it. I also have a Dunlop 535q wah that came with a bad board, but after fixing it... no problems with it. It only gave scratch problems while clean*

I'm checking out the GT-OD, Bad Ass Distortion, Bad Ass Overdrive, the Zakk Wylde, etc. Supposely Zakk's, GT-OD, Classic Distortion, and even Distortion III are similar pedals. Is this true? Would you recommend them? What other options you can give me?

I'm searching for sounds like these bands sound...

Solo is @ 2:33 = http://youtu.be/PNNMgzVXUbg?t=2m33s

The most ''heavy'' it can get with volume 8 to 10

Something that can play all those things (and in between) is what I would like to have! All help is appreciated! If it's a MXR Pedal it would be nice, but I'm open to everything. Please no more than $100 (regular price) per pedal*
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Re: Looking for a BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal replacement

Check out the ProCo Rat2. My personal fave and it's real versatile imo. It's a pure distortion tho, but mine never gets muddy - really clear tones.
    Mine cost me about 600 sek, which should be something like 90 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Psykel View Post
      Check out the ProCo Rat2. My personal fave and it's real versatile imo. It's a pure distortion tho, but mine never gets muddy - really clear tones.
      Mine cost me about 600 sek, which should be something like 90 dollars.
      Greetings! I checked some video clips out. It's a really distorted pedal. I know it would be nice to have someday, but not on my current band situation. I'm playing pop music, you could say. A real change from my previous bands style: 80's music, power ballads, hard rock, ska, etc. BTW... can the Rat be conected to a 9v power supply? I don't want any battery operated pedal.
      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

The symptoms you're describing sound like cold solder joints where the jacks meet the circuit board. All you have to do is touch a soldering iron to those points to remelt them, and your pedal will be like new again.......most likely.

If you want another pedal anyway, Guitar Center may still have some of the MXR Classic OD's left. They sold for 30 or 40 bucks, and are the same thing as the GT-OD in a cooler looking enclosure. There's even a used cream one at GC Northridge, Ca. for $22. I've even thought of grabbing it for the heck of it, even though I've got 2.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Boss pedals rely on the ground via case enclosure and if the jacks get a little loose they can do exactly what you describe. GJ's idea is another possibility. What I did is run a wire to the ground on the input and output jacks and to the ground on the board with my old boss ce-3. Worked like a charm and now no issues.

Side note: I have a boss os-2 as well. Neat pedal. I removed c-6 and it 'opened' it up a bit. I think it introduced noise though. Oh well.
          Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            The symptoms you're describing sound like cold solder joints where the jacks meet the circuit board. All you have to do is touch a soldering iron to those points to remelt them, and your pedal will be like new again.......most likely.

If you want another pedal anyway, Guitar Center may still have some of the MXR Classic OD's left. They sold for 30 or 40 bucks, and are the same thing as the GT-OD in a cooler looking enclosure. There's even a used cream one at GC Northridge, Ca. for $22. I've even thought of grabbing it for the heck of it, even though I've got 2.
            Thanks! I will contact my friend and guitar tech to see if the can do the job. Do I need new jacks or the stock ones can still do the job?

I can't find the MXR Classic OD's in GC Website. Only used on eBay.
            BTW Can you describe the GT-OD sound via your MXR Classic OD sound? I will like to know more about it. I'm researching the GT-OD and the Bad Ass Overdrive pedal.

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
            Boss pedals rely on the ground via case enclosure and if the jacks get a little loose they can do exactly what you describe. GJ's idea is another possibility. What I did is run a wire to the ground on the input and output jacks and to the ground on the board with my old boss ce-3. Worked like a charm and now no issues.

Side note: I have a boss os-2 as well. Neat pedal. I removed c-6 and it 'opened' it up a bit. I think it introduced noise though. Oh well.
            You mean, it has to be resoldered, re-grounded again? Right? Just like putting together the pedal a new? BTW it's worth fixing right? I mean... costwise?
            Do I need to buy something extra to make it work, without hassles again?
            The OS-2 is really a good overdrive pedal and can get the sounds I'm really looking for, with my actual band. I know there are better pedals. That's why I thought of a new pedal; but if fixing it could work, I'll do it.

I really want to move again on stage, and can't stand not moving or trying to keep the pedals in their place, because if I move the OS-2 a little is GAME OVER. I'm really tired of it and now more that I'm on a crucial time and I have very little budget left.
            Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Even just taking some steel wool to the holes in the boss case where the jacks are connected and then tightening the jacks really tight may fix your problem.
              Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

UPDATE

After giving it to my friend, he resoldered the input & output jacks, cleaned up the pedal, etc. The pedal still has the problems! Lack of contact mainly in the output jack of the pedal. The input suffers from the same, but in a less severe degree.

Looks like this may be ''the end'' for this pedal right?
                Is there another thing I should try before replacing it. There's no budget at the moment, but is gonna be replaced ASAP*

Is there anything I should try!?
                Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

A soldering iron and some simple exploratory surgery will fix it.
                  but...
                  For a killer natural sounding overdrive that has the "extra gain" option if you need it as you mentioned, a hartman LM308 will do it.
                  The overdrive side is really organic and rich and much more rewarding to play than the pedal you are currently using. Rich harmonic overtones and clarity for complex chords. Responsive to your axe's volume knob too.
                  The higher gain mode (essentially a boutique hand wired premium rat) makes the distortion side of the boss pedal sound like a toy. It is one of the sweetest most organic overdrive/distortions out there. From what you have described i think it would fit the bill perfectly.
                  Check one out:

If you think that pedal is still too crunchy for you then you might be a candidate for the fultone fulldrive II. The fulldrive has many flavours of light to medium gain overdrive on tap and of course it has the extra kick in boost. It has a texture more in line with the overdrive side of your boss pedal even when you use the boost function and it really wont go into the territory of the distortion side at all, but it is a superb sounding and flexible overdrive that can easily match any guitar and amp combination. It can do all of the sounds of the various MXR drives (not the distortions) you mentioned and has a few tricks of its own as well.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-21-2012, 11:12 PM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                  X