2 Pedal Reviews...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Pedal Reviews...

2 pedals I have recieved in the past month or so...

The first is a rangemaster clone from Scavenger effects. Built by Mr. Philip Chevrier, our own forum brother Surgeon. I tested this running it into a Delta Blues set with some darker tones. Every time I turned this pedal on it gave me instant Brian May tone. It cleaned up as well as a treble booster can but most importantly it made everything tighter and more defined, no matter the setting. Basically it's just a really good treble booster. Big thumbs up here.

The second is a Orange Squeezer Compressor clone by the same builder. It is relic'd which I normally hate with a passion but I thought this particular finish looked cool so I asked him to do it on this pedal. It's hard for me to review this one because I use comps differently than most people. I set them for absolutely no squashing effect because I hate that sound. This pedal has an internal control that controls the amount of compression and the outside knob is the volume obviously. The way I have the inside knob set, there is almost no compression at all. I have it set so that when the pedal is on, and the volumes are balanced out, you can only detect a slight increase in sustain. What I'll do is use it as a slight volume boost and with the compression down so low basically what you get is an "overdrive pedal with no drive." This is the sound I was going for. It adds sustain without squash, sounds very natural, evens the strings out just a little bit and sounds really quite astounding for clean solos/leads or I guess just anything clean in general. I absolutely LOVE this pedal. LOVE.

(and if you like squash, it does that really well too, just not my thing)

I know my reviews are probably awful. I don't review stuff often but I feel like these should be reviewed because they are for an up and coming builder on the forum and they are just great, great pieces of equipment. Thanks Phil!!!

Your comp will be on my board for years!
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: 2 Pedal Reviews...

2 of my fav circuits!

My Beano Boost has never been too far away and my Hartman Compressor is such a cool unit.

The interesting thing about an Orange Squeezer type comp is the tone shaping they do on their own and the very natural feeling compression they have plus if you listen to them they have a slight bit of harmonics they add to the sound...not at all like an OD pedal but just a touch of harmonics that makes it sing a little bit.

Congrads my friend, enjoy them!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      The interesting thing about an Orange Squeezer type comp is the tone shaping they do on their own and the very natural feeling compression they have plus if you listen to them they have a slight bit of harmonics they add to the sound...not at all like an OD pedal but just a touch of harmonics that makes it sing a little bit.
      Yeah, those harmonics are what I love about them. They really add something to the sound.

Thanks Christian!

Comment

both are way cool
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Very nice!

I also went the Beano Boost route after I got a Catalinbread Naga Viper; I love them both. The Rangemaster is a unique boost; it is not smooth or compressed at all; it is actually quite jagged in mean and doesn't play well with everything.

I have about 6 boosts (I forget, to be honest), and they all colour the sound in different ways. I much prefer to use a boost instead of overdrive in most instances.

I cannot comment on the compressor, as I only have 1 compressor (Philosopher's Tone) and I use it very rarely; I quite like it when tracking bass guitar, tho ...
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

You should try a good OS style comp...

I use mine more like a boost a lot of times.

It's not good for everything and it's hardly transparent but it's got such a cool character to it.

Theo Hartman makes a damn good one...lots of NOS goodies inside and as with all Hartman stuff very well made!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Andrew, are you keeping your Delta Blues ? Coz that booster probably won't work with your Yamaha amp.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                Andrew, are you keeping your Delta Blues ? Coz that booster probably won't work with your Yamaha amp.
                Yeah, it doesn't very well but I am still going to hold onto it. It's a great pedal. I really love the Yamaha. It sounds like a twin reverb, just super loud, great sounding cleans. You could not tell it was a SS amp.

Comment

Nice, it seems they are great sounding pedals and they looks real cool too. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                  X