1970s vox wah and a project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s vox wah and a project....

So i have this old vox (colorsound) wah swell from the 70s that ive had in my closet for 30 years.

The wah circuit sounds pretty good, but the cam that rotates the pot has broken. I dont think i can get another one anywhere.

As a result i can't sell an unworking vintage wah can i?
    so i'm thinking ill refit the vox wah circuit into an unused crybaby case.If i do this, then at least ill have a nice vintage sounding working wah - even if it doesnt look like it from the outside.

The pot in the cryabby case is good and not scratchy. The dual pot in the colorsound is old and crusty (it was not a good pot when it was new i think).
    So i want to change this old wah/swell into a regular non swell true bypass wah.
    Anyone know what needs to get soldered to what? I'm thinking ill keep the jacks and switch and everything from the vox, and just wire the whole setup to the crybaby pot inside the crybaby houseing and get rid of the swell part of the circuit.
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-20-2012, 10:47 PM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: 1970s vox wah and a project....

Perhaps see if you can get a replacement piece custom made by a local machine shop?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

How about getting a replacement pot and using the crybaby case and mechanicals and insert the vox circuitry in it. Easier than disconnecting parts. The ring gear should be removable from the pot shaft of the pot in the crybaby and could be reused on a new double gang pot.
      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Drop an email to [email protected] tell Stewart what you have and what you need, he might be able to get you parts to fix that wah w/o having to rehouse.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

ill try that , but ive emailed macari last week with no reply.
          GV- yeah maybe a replacement pot is an option. Ill see if a replacement dual pot is available.
          Twilight...thats not a bad idea also. I guess i have a couple of options now.
          Thanks for the help fellas, ill try all of them
          Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-21-2012, 03:35 PM.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            ill try that , but ive emailed macari last week with no reply.
            GV- yeah maybe a replacement pot is an option. Ill see if a replacement dual pot is available.
            Twilight...thats not a bad idea also. I guess i have a couple of options now.
            Thanks for the help fellas, ill try all of them
            What value is the pot ? Are both sections the same? EG: 250K/250K. Some aren't.
            and shaft size ?
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

erm. dunno. i better get the multimeter out!
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

100k both of them. Shaft size is i think 6mm (i just measured it using a shifting spanner)
                Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-21-2012, 09:31 PM.
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                X