• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best signal booster for leads/solos

Best signal booster for leads/solos for under $100

I currently have a EHX LPB-1, but it just adds a sh*t ton of bass, and not
    even a lot of boost.

I want something that keeps my signal/tone relatively the same, while boosting
    the sh*t out of the volume/signal, so my leads/solos really stand out over the
    mix.

Recommendations?

Re: Best signal booster for leads/solos

Are you already maxing out the gain or volume? If you do the signal will get dirtier, I never found the LPB-1 to be a very clean boost but I never thought it added a ton of bass either.

The MXR Micro Amp is a good option but again, if you are pushing the volume no pedal will really give you what you want.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

If there's no headroom left in your amp the way you're using it, you won't be able to get any more volume out of it from a boost pedal. I'm not sure how it works with a master volume amp, as I've never simultaneously owned a MV amp and a boost pedal (I don't like most MV amps)

If there's headroom to spare, here's what I recommend:

Timmy. Definitely the best I've used for this application. When I kick mine on, I've never had a problem being heard. And it's as neutral as you want it to be - volume, gain, and bass/treble cut controls are extremely handy. It is a bit pricier at $140 new (when you can find it in stock) but most of the units that do this trick well aren't under $100.

I tried an EP boost for 45 minutes the other day and I really really liked it. It's not as neutral as the Timmy, but what it adds is absolutely wonderful. It's like... I can't quite describe it, just go try it. Any half decent Guitar Center should have them - that's where I tried it. This one is a bit cheaper at $116 new.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Are you putting into the front of the amp or in the loop? I've used a MXR MicroAmp for a few years in the loop and it works a treat.

Comment

I'm using a RedBear MK60, which schematic wise is virtually identical to a JCM800.

It just had 6N2P preamp tubes and 6 JJ 6L6's. No effect loop.

I've tried it both before and after my OD pedal, but it seems to have the same effect.
          Just a crap ton more bass and a *little* more volume.

My preamp gain is ~5.5 and my Master is around ~5, so I *should* have headroom left.

Comment

Fulltone fatboost. It has separate trimmers for bass and treble, and as much boost as you need.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by fowl2338 View Post

even a lot of boost.

mix.

Recommendations?
              Xotic EP Booster!!!!

You will never regret
              My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
              My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Your master volume is adding a ceiling if you will to the overall max volume you can get to that said you should be able to get some volume jump still...

If I were you I'd start with the CAE/MXR Line Driver...they can be had at any GC and are $99 new.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  Your master volume is adding a ceiling if you will to the overall max volume you can get to that said you should be able to get some volume jump still...

If I were you I'd start with the CAE/MXR Line Driver...they can be had at any GC and are $99 new.
                  This one adds nothing to the sound and, can make it apparently thinner.
                  The MXR Micro Amp adds a warm touch and some harmonics that I prefer instead but, seriously, the Xotic EP Booster is da bomb. It preserves the full character of the sound on its input but adds some I-dunno-what that makes it instantanelly more interesting on its output. At minimum, already gives a +3dB bump (more than enough to stand over) and, I love to run it between the min and 9:00h, just the right touch.
                  My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                  My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

even a lot of boost.

mix.

Recommendations?
                    JCM900 MkIII or SL-X (in other words, an amp with dual master volumes) with a footswitch.

P.S. Partially a joke (since most people don't like those amps) and part serious (because it is the only transparent way to do it).
                    Amp department:
                    JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
                    Class 5 (pure class...)
                    Hughes&Kettner TM18H
                    Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
                    Gibson Les Paul Standard
                    Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

If your amp has an effects loop, throw the booster in the loop. You want to boost after the preamp if your preamp is already saturated with overdrive. There's no more headroom to boost from out front without adding more saturation at that point.

Bonus if your effects loop is switchable with the amp footswitch because you can leave the booster on top of the amp with short cables.

The CAE/MXR Line Driver is an excellent choice. The Boss GE-7 also does a really good job.

Comment

Since you're amp has no loop, if you are running any more OD than a slight crunch... you won't be able to get a substantial boost in volume with a pedal. In that scenario, the pedal will only add a possibly slight bump in volume (none if you're using more gain), and it may add some sustain/more gain. That's the nature of the beast. For true volume boosts, the boost must be in the loop -- post preamp.

The other way of boosting is how I do it on my single channel Straub (blackface-plexi/ish) or my Egnater Rebel 20. I run the amp in clean-slightly hairy mode and use a Carl Martin Plexitone as the OD pedal. It's got two channels of gain and also a volume boost and running into a [mostly] clean amp... it's capable of a HUGE volume boost. As would any boost pedal.

I was at my buddy's house yesterday playing through his Bogner 101B and Splawn Quickrod and he's got a Love Pedal Eternity boost pedal that was very sweet. Just added a touch of volume and a very nice bit of sustain. Sort of the "more" pedal concept.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I have an LPB-1, and it seems to brighten things up, but I had it nearer the front of my signal chain.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                          Originally posted by Securb
                          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I'm using a RedBear MK60, which schematic wise is virtually identical to a JCM800.

It just had 6N2P preamp tubes and 6 JJ 6L6's. No effect loop.

I've tried it both before and after my OD pedal, but it seems to have the same effect.
                            Just a crap ton more bass and a *little* more volume.

My preamp gain is ~5.5 and my Master is around ~5, so I *should* have headroom left.
                            The amp has headroom left but with your preamp setting at 5.5 and going through the front end, you're not going to be able to utilize it. If you're not averse to a mod, a decent tech could easily put in a switchable lead boost control like the one Mesa uses in the Recto series. If you don't want to modify the amp, a pedal set to mid boost is going to increase your apparent loudness but it will also add some overdrive. Almost any OD pedal can do this with the level maxed and the drive barely cracked. I use a SD-1 for just that purpose and My TS-10 can be used that way too except I like it as an actual overdive on my board. Not perfect but it gets the job done.
                            Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

You might be able to find one used, and I have heard this one is great. http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423
                              `
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                              Originally posted by Securb
                              The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
                              X