New Pedal: Snark SN-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pedal: Snark SN-10

Tuners are actually one of those rare pedals that are cheaper for me to buy than build.

Now that I'm playing in a band again I felt the need for a tuner pedal, which I never had in the past. I've always got my guitars really well set-up (which solves many tuning stability problems) and would just retune by ear when in doubt. Still, now I wanted to do better than that.

Lots of cool pedals out there but the Snark one caught my eye, not only for its price but also since the clip-on tuners have been so popular so far (I got one of those, a sn8, as well at the same time and now realize I should've gotten one sooner).

I'll do a very simple review, seeing how reviews of this pedal are quite scarce so far...

-Build quality: Very solid metal enclosure. The insides are very clean and neat. Not a bad thing to say in that department, I feel that if the switch holds well it'll last me a long time.

-Tuning: I can't compare to any other pedal, my only tuner for the last 17 years has been a Korg GT-3. However, not a bad thing to say. Everytime I tune with it there's no need to fine-tune anything afterwards (which would happen with the GT-3). I always feel like I'm spot-on. Big bright screen (easy to read) and big bright letters and bars. Don't feel like this'll be a problem in sunlight but I haven't tested it yet. I've tried tuning with the clip-on and the pedal simultaneously to see if they agree. The results aren't 100% (they differ very very slightly) but good enough for me.

-Features: very few. Pitch calibration knobs, 9v out so you can power other pedals with it. You can't "select" alternative tunings. That's it. Simple but effective. My kinda thing.

All in all not a bad thing to say so far. Works nice, dirt-cheap (worth a try).

Good enough for me at least!

*edit*: Forgot to mention that there's no popping sound when you stomp on it to tune... kinda an important one...
    Last edited by Surgeon; 10-25-2012, 07:19 AM.

Re: New Pedal: Snark SN-10

Interesting. Price?

Comment

Got mine for 35$ + shipping on ebay (roughly 40$ I think)...

It's just a basic chromatic tuner but it does its thing very good and costs so little that it's definitely a great value IMHO.

Comment

Wow! That is cheap. Thanks for the review.

Comment

Love my Snark clip on tuner...and it frees up space on the board!
          Originally posted by jeremy
          God hates bad guitar tone
          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
            Wow! That is cheap. Thanks for the review.
            Pleasure...

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
            Love my Snark clip on tuner...and it frees up space on the board!
            Yeah, I just got one and already like it a lot. However, I can't see myself being bothered to clip it on and off during a live performance and leaving it on the headstock all the time is out of the question.

I've never been a pedal user so my pedalboard for this project will basically be: footswitch, tuner -> boost into maybe a fuzz. Seeing how this is very basic, a tuner pedal on there isn't much of a problem.

Comment

I don't like using the clipons in band situations, any vibration from the drums or bass make it very touchy. I much prefer the pedal tuners.

I didn't know Snark made pedal tuners. Does it mute when tuning?
              Go Packers!

Comment

I use a snark clip on, great product but not that durable (made from plastic). However, they are only $11 on amazon and if you take care of it, it will be fine. Their tuners are better than any other tuners I have tried including Korg and Boss. Love their stuff.
                Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

40bucks is a nice price.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                    I don't like using the clipons in band situations, any vibration from the drums or bass make it very touchy. I much prefer the pedal tuners.

I didn't know Snark made pedal tuners. Does it mute when tuning?
                    Yes, it does mute the signal. They released the pedal not too long ago, hence the fact that you won't find many reviews on the web so far...

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                    I use a snark clip on, great product but not that durable (made from plastic). However, they are only $11 on amazon and if you take care of it, it will be fine. Their tuners are better than any other tuners I have tried including Korg and Boss. Love their stuff.
                    It is more precise than my GT-3. However, I can't say for other tuners as I haven't had any other.

Amazon.com won't ship 'em to Canada and amazon.ca has 'em for between 22 and 26$... for us Canadians eBay has the best prices but Stringsandbeyond.com has for the same price and ships free to Canada. There's even a 5$ discount code (jesus_christ) that's, as far as I know, valid anytime... nice place for picks and strings too.

Originally posted by alteredbeast View Post
                    40bucks is a nice price.
                    Yup, it was worth the gamble.
                    Last edited by Surgeon; 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X