Sovtek Mig 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sovtek Mig 50

Would you guys recommend a Sovtek Mig 50? I am about to pull the trigger on one that has its pots replaced with military grade Canadian pots. Its the same as the one in the picture below. I want to make sure it has a lot of low end, volume and can hang with a heavy handed drummer. I like the idea of having a Soviet tank as an amp, but Ive heard of reliability issues. Can this amp pull off Doom/Classic heavy tones?

Re: Sovtek Mig 50

Originally posted by slicepaperdavid View Post
    Would you guys recommend a Sovtek Mig 50? I am about to pull the trigger on one that has its pots replaced with military grade Canadian pots. Its the same as the one in the picture below. I want to make sure it has a lot of low end, volume and can hang with a heavy handed drummer. I like the idea of having a Soviet tank as an amp, but Ive heard of reliability issues. Can this amp pull off Doom/Classic heavy tones?
    How much they selling it for and what's your budget?
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
      How much they selling it for and what's your budget?
      +1. It might be a nice amp, but it won't be very flexible. I'm not sure if I'd want it if it was my only amp and it was priced the same as say, a DSL or TSL.

Comment

the non-mv mig 50 is kinda a tweed bassman/marshall thing. cool amps but kinda shoddily made. they can sound great but arent the most reliable. they can usually be had cheap though, ive seen then as low as $150 in working condition.

if the pots have been replaced thats a good thing since the old ones were plastic. the amp has a good amount of volume and bass and is clean till you crank it up. i think channel 1 is the bassier channel if memory serves. you can use a y cable or a/b/y box and run both channels for a thicker gainier tone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          the non-mv mig 50 is kinda a tweed bassman/marshall thing. cool amps but kinda shoddily made. they can sound great but arent the most reliable. they can usually be had cheap though, ive seen then as low as $150 in working condition.

if the pots have been replaced thats a good thing since the old ones were plastic. the amp has a good amount of volume and bass and is clean till you crank it up. i think channel 1 is the bassier channel if memory serves. you can use a y cable or a/b/y box and run both channels for a thicker gainier tone
          Exactly. I like them but don't use one. Just traded a friend of mine's Mig50 to Trevorus for his Night Train.

Wish they'd come with a tube rectifier, like a tweed Bassman. They're sort of like a 50 watt Marshall with 6L6 tubes instead of EL34's. Sort of.

I'd say that for under $300 used (or sometimes a lot less) they're a real good amp for the money and capable of excellent tone.

I've seen Duke Robillard using one. Sounded just like a real good Fender.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Had mine about 4 years now. I think I paid $200 for it. Been 100% reliable with zero issues.

Like with all tube amps, play through it yourself and see if you like the tone.

Comment

Friend of mine had one and used it for gigging.
              He had to bring a solder iron to every show though.

Yes, it is loud enough.
              Yes, I wish I had one.
              Amp department:
              JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
              Class 5 (pure class...)
              Hughes&Kettner TM18H
              Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
              Gibson Les Paul Standard
              Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

When the Sovtek Mig amps were $250 and less (I once say a Mig 60 for $55!) they were good deals on decent sounding amps but at the prices I see most often today I don't see them much as a deal.

They can benefit greatly from upgrading the pots and even replacing the very thin and cheap wire going from the board to the tube sockets, pots, etc
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I have a Mig100 that I gave $50 for and then put another $450 in to fix all the fixxing the previous owner did sad silicone repairs haha, plus all of the plastic parts that were in it had to go and all of the cheap wiring was replaced. Now its a very reliable, OMG loud and heavy with no extra noise amp the does dirt sounds awesome and you can't get a good clean sound out of it to save your life. It has 6L6's in it which I figure is part of it. I bought a used Genz Benz El Diablo and have the best of both worlds. If that Mig is anything like mine and you want use it for more than just distorted sounds I'd pass as far as low end sound I ran a MXR 10 band Eq in front of mine and I could put more bass to my speakers than they could handle. For what it's worth I do still have my Mig100 and it will get used again I'm sure, but for now it set's there with all of the tubes pulled out of it looking dejected.
                  Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksontrader View Post
                    I have a Mig100 that I gave $50 for and then put another $450 in to fix all the fixxing the previous owner did sad silicone repairs haha, plus all of the plastic parts that were in it had to go and all of the cheap wiring was replaced. Now its a very reliable, OMG loud and heavy with no extra noise amp the does dirt sounds awesome and you can't get a good clean sound out of it to save your life. It has 6L6's in it which I figure is part of it. I bought a used Genz Benz El Diablo and have the best of both worlds. If that Mig is anything like mine and you want use it for more than just distorted sounds I'd pass as far as low end sound I ran a MXR 10 band Eq in front of mine and I could put more bass to my speakers than they could handle. For what it's worth I do still have my Mig100 and it will get used again I'm sure, but for now it set's there with all of the tubes pulled out of it looking dejected.
                    That's sort of what I'm talking about...$50 for the amp $450 for upgrades and you've got $500 in a great amp.

If you have to pay $600 for it then put $450 into it then it's not such a good deal.
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                      Exactly. I like them but don't use one. Just traded a friend of mine's Mig50 to Trevorus for his Night Train.

Wish they'd come with a tube rectifier, like a tweed Bassman. They're sort of like a 50 watt Marshall with 6L6 tubes instead of EL34's. Sort of.

I'd say that for under $300 used (or sometimes a lot less) they're a real good amp for the money and capable of excellent tone.

I've seen Duke Robillard using one. Sounded just like a real good Fender.
                      Yeah, I can't wait to get it. I traded off a MIG 50, and I regretted it pretty much immediately. It'll be nice to get it back, because it was working really well for me.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                      Originally posted by Securb
                      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I think you'll love the one we sent you Trevorus. It's pretty much stock but Bruce (Mission Amps) did tweak and rebuild it some and I think it has a richer, more responsive tone than it did stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                          I think you'll love the one we sent you Trevorus. It's pretty much stock but Bruce (Mission Amps) did tweak and rebuild it some and I think it has a richer, more responsive tone than it did stock.
                          Yeah, the mail truck just came by. I was like a kid on Christmas. It's good to have the Sovvie again!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                          Originally posted by Securb
                          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Awesome! Do a little review for us...assuming you like it! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                            X