Crate Vintage Club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Vintage Club?

Anyone have anything to offer about these amps? I just got an offer to trade my Peavey Valveking for a 15 year old USA 30 watt one. Seems interesting but I'm pretty skeptical about Crate.
    Originally posted by Jimi Hendrix
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Re: Crate Vintage Club?

I have the GT500H. It's the same amp, just different name. I've only had a week to play with it, but it's kinda cool.

It's not gonna give you the modern metal, big bottom end and high gain, but it does do a few things very well.

Channel A/Clean, leaves nothing behind. I have no problems with this side of it at all. It takes pedals very well, and does a very good Vox/Fender thing very well. It's better than what you would expect for the price these amps go for these days. No complaints at all.

Channel B/Overdrive, is where it's fun yet aggravating. The controls are very touch sensitive. Just a little turn will give you a lot.
    There is really more gain on tap than you need, so keep that gain knob somewhere below 2 oclock, or it gets pretty buzzy.

The best way I can describe the dirty side is this.... If you want metal, don't bother. If you want Skynard, Zeppelin, AC/DC, ZZ top, or older style tones, go for it. It does old school very well. If you want modern rock from about 2000 and up, buy something else.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by karpathion; 10-26-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

If the Vintage Club series had been Crate's first offering to the musical world, they would have a much different (far better) reputation today. They do go through EL84s like a Vox so you might want to budget for annual or semi-annual power tube repacement if you pull the trigger on this trade.
      Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

They sound great...when they work. I've seen too many with major problems.
        Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Great amps! I have gone through four of them and have done some minor repairs and cleanup. I have picked them up cheap and sold them for a return that covered my time. People, especially players, are usually astonished when hearing them after some basic maintenance. I still have a 50 watt 15" combo.

The biggest problems with these amps are dirty/ corroded pots which effect all amps at some point. That is easy to fix with a little deoxit. Next is the cab mounted channel switch. Again, easy to fix with an inexpensive foot switch as it bypasses the chassis mounted switch. There were some production issues with cold solder joints. A tech would be required to redress the joints if that was still a problem, but most were repaired under original warranty.

The differences between the 30 and 50 watt versions are cathode bias and a smaller OT on the 30. That makes the 30 watt version sound a little more vintage. As far as sound character goes I would say that the clean channel is best described as very similar to a Fender Bassman. So the cleans are not chimey like a Vox or glassey like a twin, but a little more attitude. The drive channel would best match something like a JTM45. It has a nice crunch. Nothing too heavy, but if classic rock or blues are in your set list it will nail those. The original reverb unit being a long three spring is also very nice. The reverb is not as thick as a Fender, but close. The stock speakers were Crate labeled Eminence Legends.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Comment

I still have my VC5212 that I bought new in 1994. Great sounding amp. Clean channel sounds like a Bassman and the dirty channel a hotroded Marshall. Speakers are really good in it too. I've let several well known players use it for their backline and everyone of them liked it.

The 30 watt version would be a good one to have. I was always told to turn down with the 50 watt...but then again I like to play loud.
            Originally posted by Ball&Chain
            Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

I have a Crate Vintage 30 and it is a beast. Very loud. The Cleans warm up a lot with increased volume.
              Doesn't not have a pronounced gain stage, so not great for high gain stuff. Sounds like a driven Marshall on the gain channel.
              Heavy, this thing has to weigh 90 pounds. Will fill a moderate club gig with sound. I like it. It is distinctive and the speaker is killer. Definitely has a bit of a vintage "Bluesbreaker" tone. I also have Fender 1980 Deluxe and a Egnater TOL 50. Egnater is the most versatile Fender best for sparkling cleans. Paid a bit over $250 for it at Music Go Round. Well worth the price!
              Last edited by hotlayout; 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM. Reason: Adding Price Paid.

Comment

I just bought a Crate Vintage Club 50 head and 4-10 cab The cab is black and that's OK but, the damn head is blue! Is that normal or is this thing infected. If it has been recovered it had to have been years ago. It's very worn but looks factory to me. Been looking all over the net and haven't seen another one yet. Input would great. Thanx!

Comment

I've never seen one done in blue.

I have one of the V18s... I actually dig it, after some light modding (tweaked the tube selection, swapped out for a longer reverb tank, different speaker).
                  "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Post pictures and we can see if it is a stock head or a converted combo. The only color I have seen is the blond, but I think there were some of the later Vintage Clubs came in black.

Bigger question....

How does it sound?

Comment

Tried out a VC5212 at my friends shop about a year ago. He said the previous owner had no issues with it and he never mentioned any issues while he had it at the shop either. RealityViking's post was very similar to my impression. Clean was very Fender Bassman like & drive was decent classic rock at best. If you use much gain on the Valveking which has quite a bit you'll be let down with the Vintage Club. It also weighed a ton so gigging wouldn't be too fun. This one had blonde tolex also. Great looking amp.

Billy Gibbons used the V3112 on some TV appearances I've seen and may still be using them. Needless to say he sounded good. These are different than the VC amps. IMO they have a better drive channel. Still nothing compared to your Valveking.

There is a mod for the V18 that makes it sound very close to a Soldano SLO. Several youtube examples. Always wanted a V18 just for that reason.
                      Last edited by jpistolas; 09-08-2013, 12:58 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Jdld8586 View Post
                        I just bought a Crate Vintage Club 50 head and 4-10 cab The cab is black and that's OK but, the damn head is blue! Is that normal or is this thing infected. If it has been recovered it had to have been years ago. It's very worn but looks factory to me. Been looking all over the net and haven't seen another one yet. Input would great. Thanx!
                        Actually the blue is factory... After they did the blonde ones they went to blue for a year or 2 then to black. My best friend has gigged with a blue one for about 15 years now. Its gone through tubes and fuses and the occasional other odd bit but its still thumping a long.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm quite positive the VC will sound much better than a VK. I had a VC30 for a while and I remember the cleans always sounded great and it took pedals really well. They're supposed to be really solid amps, they'll be around forever like the silverface fenders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
                          Gear:
                          Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                          Epi Dot Natural
                          Partscaster blackie
                          Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                          VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                          Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Owned a couple of them, great amps but fragile input jacks and flakey pots. Nothing more than an occasional pass with the solder gun and tuner cleaner.
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by RealtyViking View Post
                              Great amps! I have gone through four of them and have done some minor repairs and cleanup. I have picked them up cheap and sold them for a return that covered my time. People, especially players, are usually astonished when hearing them after some basic maintenance. I still have a 50 watt 15" combo.

The biggest problems with these amps are dirty/ corroded pots which effect all amps at some point. That is easy to fix with a little deoxit. Next is the cab mounted channel switch. Again, easy to fix with an inexpensive foot switch as it bypasses the chassis mounted switch. There were some production issues with cold solder joints. A tech would be required to redress the joints if that was still a problem, but most were repaired under original warranty.

The differences between the 30 and 50 watt versions are cathode bias and a smaller OT on the 30. That makes the 30 watt version sound a little more vintage. As far as sound character goes I would say that the clean channel is best described as very similar to a Fender Bassman. So the cleans are not chimey like a Vox or glassey like a twin, but a little more attitude. The drive channel would best match something like a JTM45. It has a nice crunch. Nothing too heavy, but if classic rock or blues are in your set list it will nail those. The original reverb unit being a long three spring is also very nice. The reverb is not as thick as a Fender, but close. The stock speakers were Crate labeled Eminence Legends.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Hi all, i'm new of this forum.
                              Yesterday my brother give me his old ampli; it's Crate vintage club 50w 5115. I have an engl savage with a mesa boogie 4x12 cab but i want to change my configuration. I want to know if with some mod i can use the crate for my purpose.
                              I want to buy a 2x12 cab and use the crate like a mono chanel head with 4 or 5 pedal. i play in a cover band some Black stone cherry, Metallica, alterbridge, alice cooper, but also joe bonamassa, hendrix songs.

do you think i can mod my crate and use a cab? what kind of mod do you suggest? clean tone- hard-metal tone? wich pedal do you suggest?
                              thanks for you help!
                              and sorry for my poor english

Comment

Working...
                              X