Bogner Goldfinger 45 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner Goldfinger 45 Review

I have been playing the Goldfinger 45 for a couple of months now and feel comfortable enough to give it a thorough review. The amazing thing about Bogners is that when you play them, you are immediately grabbed by the awesomeness of everything they offer. Reinhold breaks the mold. For instance, you take an amp like the Ecstasy which has all kinds of switches and features and 3 very distinct channels. With everything going on in that circuitry, it's a wonder how it manages to excel at every aspect of what makes boutique amps so popular. They have the magic tone and feel, and they can endure a lifetime of use because they are built fantastically well.

Plug into an Ecstasy, Shiva, Shiva 20th Anniversary, New Yorker, etc... and there's something in one of their amps that will grab even the most discerning players. I have grown from a casual Bogner fan to a Bogner nut over the years as I discover just how magnificent his amps are.

Enter the Goldfinger. I don't know if I shared the same attitude as most people (I don't know what the general attitude is), but I kind of wondered why Reinhold would develop a hotrodded Marshall after all of the groundbreaking amps he's designed. Most of the videos and audio samples are low to medium gain at most, and the highest gain videos aren't very good at all, so I never really got a good idea of what they could really do.

I eventually run into a Goldfinger 45 at a local music retailer and wasn't real interested in it because if it's retro looks. I was more interested in the Ecstasy and Shiva 20th Ann. amps. However, someone was using the XTC so I plugged into the Goldfinger just for kicks until he was done. I started fiddling with the knobs which, with the exception of the FX loop switches, was fairly easy to figure out. The clean channel caught my attention pretty quick. I went in knowing the specs (6V6's, 2 channels, etc...), but I wasn't expecting the versatility in volume and headroom that it has. Wow, it's pretty darn loud if you run at full power, and it has all the headroom you need.

Fortunately, it has like 3 power options and a combination of them gives you essentially full, 1/2, 2/3 & 1/3 power settings. I think it boils down to 45w, 33w, 22w, and 15w or something close to that. Bogners are known for terrific master volumes so put that together with the power options and you have a high powered amp that can truly be useful anywhere from late night at home to full venue volumes.

Anyway, back to the clean channel. It had kind of a vintage Marshall meets Dr.Z kind of sound to my ears. Although it has high clean headroom, you can easily coax that particular 6V6 broken up clean sound and mild overdrive just on the clean channel alone thanks to the channel boost. I should mention that there are basically three boost options. The first is a pre or post FX boost. I'm not an expert on how they work, but I can tell you that there is a little knob on the back panel that lets you adjust the amount of gain for the boost which is a really cool feature that most amps don't have. Like the Shiva, for instance. It has a boost but you have no control over how much boost gain you get. Furthermore, there is a feature on the FX loop that allows you to use it as a volume boost too, but I didn't experiment with that.

The EQ's are pretty effective and you have to get to nearly maximum volume for them to start losing their effectiveness. The gain channel is very versatile. It might as well be a 3 channel amp because the two modes are distinctly different. There is a Loud 69 and 80's mode. The Loud 69 is very reminiscent of the Ecstasy blue channel and the 80's mode is a bit darker, more compressed and with more gain.

The Omega channel (gain channel) as it's called, has a special knob called Gain EQ which kind of changes not only how it sounds but how it feels. It's not nearly as dramatic as the Blackstar amps ISF feature. It's a lot more subtle than I thought it would be. Counter-clockwise is a bit brighter and spongier, clockwise is a bit deeper and stiffer in attack. Between the two modes and the Gain EQ, there is a great deal of flexibility.

I'm not going to go into every detail of the amp, but I will mention the FX loops and the reverb. First of all, there are two FX loops. One is basically for overdrive pedals and wah's, I think, and the other is for delays and stuff. Basically, the pre-loop input allows you to plug directly into the amp with the same feel and no signal change, and then the post-input FX loop mechanism mixes it in with the signal after it passes into the amp. Hopefully that wasn't a confusing explanation because I only grasp the basic idea at this point. The manual isn't extremely helpful unfortunately. However, Bogner is very helpful over the phone so help is only a phone call away.

What I did was a very simple test of the FX loops. First I used a Maxon OD808 in the one loop and a MXR carbon copy in the other loop (whatever the loops are called). I should mention that it worked AWESOME and I really, really, really like the FX loops. I never heard a Carbon Copy sound so good.

One thing I struggle with on my Mini Rectifier is the clean channel. I can't ever seem to get a decently saturated overdrive tone with an OD pedal. It basically makes my D, A, and low E strings sound really compressed and muffled. I have to do some drastic EQ shifting and tweaking on the pedal to get something useable, but it's still not great. It limits the versatility of the clean channel because you are really limited to how much gain you can get overall without muffling, compressing and fuzzing (not a good fuzz) out your tone.

The Goldfinger on the other hand is spectacularly designed with pedals in mind so it works really well. After plugging in the OD808, I tried a few other overdrives like the Stinkbug, Mojo Hand (never heard of before), and Mad Professor Sweet Honey or whatever it was called. Wow! I was able to get a lot more diverse kinds of tone than I could with the Shiva 20th Anniversary which basically seems to sound like itself no matter what kind of pedal you use.

The reverb is interesting. Something went wrong with the reverb for a couple of weeks, and although no one did any repairs, it started working again a couple of days ago. Maybe it was a tube or something, but for a while it started to sound very, very weak on the Omega channel and too powerful on the Alpha channel. It does react differently on each channel still, but I think that's by design. The reverb is very good and mixes in better with the tone than the Shiva does.

The other thing that went wrong was that I was unable to get the foot switch to turn the boost on the Omega channel. I don't remember if the boost feature worked on that channel, but I think it did. I want to say the Goldfinger has about as much gain as the Shiva with boost (on the 80's channel), but it possibly has more because you can get the power section smoking at lower volumes.

One thing that's important to note is that people had been setting the impedance wrong on that amp because when you run it at 1/2 power, you have to take the impedance down a notch. I have never seen a single problem with a Bogner amp (honestly), so I'm assuming that there's something getting screwed up as a result of improper impedance settings. I don't know if that would affect the reverb or boost function.

This last time I played it though, it seemed to have less gain than it used to and wasn't as punchy. I wonder if the transformers are starting to get damaged or something.

Anyway, it's a very cool amp. I have the 90w EL34 version due to arrive on Wednesday so I'll let you know how that one compares. From what everyone is telling me, it's better overall than the 45. I guess we'll see how much of that is opinion.

In summary, the Goldfinger is an amazing amp that is missing none of the aspects you expect from Bogner. It's not a high gain amp, but enough to rock out on 80's metal solos at least, and it's built as a versatile pedal platform so when you take into account the tone of the clean and gain channel, and all of the features, it kind of takes place above the Shiva (I say that even though I am crazy about the Shiva).

Re: Bogner Goldfinger 45 Review

Outstanding review sir! You are easil;y one of the most knowledagble cats around here!
    I just have an inquiry. You say, and I quote ;

"Enter the Goldfinger. I don't know if I shared the same attitude as most people (I don't know what the general attitude is), but I kind of wondered why Reinhold would develop a hotrodded Marshall after all of the groundbreaking amps he's designed. Most of the videos and audio samples are low to medium gain at most, and the highest gain videos aren't very good at all, so I never really got a good idea of what they could really do".

Well, the Shiva was the first, or one fo the forst seminal reinholdt designed big Bogner amps that catapulted him to international fame, no?
    THAT was in essence, a Bogner voiced Hot Rod Marshall by all accounts.
    Bogner , in his interviews , has stated he cut his teeth on the Marshall and old Fender Circuit designs.
    That said, Bogner may actually be geting more into his roots .
    I just am afraid that I probably wouldn't much like a gut shot of the amp, probably cause its gone the route of "everything circuitbopard mounted" era.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
      Outstanding review sir! You are easil;y one of the most knowledagble cats around here!
      I just have an inquiry. You say, and I quote ;

"Enter the Goldfinger. I don't know if I shared the same attitude as most people (I don't know what the general attitude is), but I kind of wondered why Reinhold would develop a hotrodded Marshall after all of the groundbreaking amps he's designed. Most of the videos and audio samples are low to medium gain at most, and the highest gain videos aren't very good at all, so I never really got a good idea of what they could really do".

Well, the Shiva was the first, or one fo the forst seminal reinholdt designed big Bogner amps that catapulted him to international fame, no?
      THAT was in essence, a Bogner voiced Hot Rod Marshall by all accounts.
      Bogner , in his interviews , has stated he cut his teeth on the Marshall and old Fender Circuit designs.
      That said, Bogner may actually be geting more into his roots .
      I just am afraid that I probably wouldn't much like a gut shot of the amp, probably cause its gone the route of "everything circuitbopard mounted" era.
      Well first of all, I'm glad that you liked my review. However, I would not categorize my self as one of the most knowledgeable... not even close. I don't have the knowledge of circuitry and electrical engineering that the real experts have. I couldn't tell you why people rave about Mallory or Gumdrop caps, etc... All I know is that I have played a lot of Bogners and never seen one have a problem (not counting the one I spoke of but that's due to stupid customer abuse).

What I said reflects only MY first impressions of the Goldfinger. When I saw the prototype video, it seemed like bad timing to introduce what Reinhold referred to as "very much an old Marshall Plexi" kind of amp. That video had bad mic clipping so it was hard to tell what it really sounded like.

I thought, initially, that there are SOOOOO many great Marshall type amps on the market right now that his timing wasn't that good. However, as I stated, it's not an amp that could be placed in the typical high-end boutique Marshall style category. About the most old-school plexi it gets is the Loud 69 mode which is definitely what I consider at least close to authentic old-school plexi. That being said, the only plexi I own is a 1987x. The other Marshalls have been JCM800, DSL, VM and JVM.

I have yet to play the Goldfinger 90 EL34 model which I think WILL meet the demands for sounding and feeling like an authentic vintage plexi, but I only say that because I think the 45 is as close as you can get with 6V6's.

Now the Shiva is a different story. I would have to probably disagree, to a large extent, the opinion that the Shiva sounds like a Marshall JCM800 or whatever. If anything, it's kind of Reinholds take on a Fender/Marshall/Dumble. It has kind of a smooth compression that Dumble type amps have, sparkling Fender style clean, and a refined Marshall growl (I'm pretty much generalizing though) Does it sound like a JCM800? Not in my opinion.

The Goldfinger is much more in the Marshall vein because the Loud 69 has a lot less of the Bogner'ness than the other Bogners and it sounds a lot like my 1987x sounds when it's cranked up. Is it exactly like a vintage plexi? I don't know. Can anyone tell that? When I first heard the 101b blue channel, my plexi immediately came to mind except the 101b added some dimension which I couldn't describe that pretty much takes it up a notch. That's part of Reinhold's magic.

Comment

I've always wondered about the Goldfinger but I've never seen one here in the UK. I've tried the XTC classic and whilst it was a really good amp, it wasn't good enough for me to sell the MK50 for even though it was far more versatile. Your review has definitely got my attention, a lot of thought and time has gone into it, and I look forward to your opinion on its big brother. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very much appreciated... Now I have to keep my eyes peeled!

Comment

I bought a goldfinger 45 head a few months ago and play it through a Bogner 2x12 OS cabinet. I still own my Shiva combo but I'm hoping to sell it at some point. I'm really impressed with the 45. I love the different power options. It's like owning four different amps. The clean channel is really crisp and the "69" gain channel has a nice mid-gain growl to it; very smooth and articulate when playing open chords. For solos when playing live, I use a modded TS 9 or a a Suhr Riot for extra gain. Lately, my fav wattage has been playing with "1/2 power" set "high." I play in an original modern rock band and a cover band doing everything from Zeppelin to Kings of Leon to Michael Jackson and Chuck Berry and everything else in between. Great amp for anything thinking about picking one up.
          Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
          Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
          Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
          Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Comment

Originally posted by deftgala View Post
            I bought a goldfinger 45 head a few months ago and play it through a Bogner 2x12 OS cabinet. I still own my Shiva combo but I'm hoping to sell it at some point. I'm really impressed with the 45. I love the different power options. It's like owning four different amps. The clean channel is really crisp and the "69" gain channel has a nice mid-gain growl to it; very smooth and articulate when playing open chords. For solos when playing live, I use a modded TS 9 or a a Suhr Riot for extra gain. Lately, my fav wattage has been playing with "1/2 power" set "high." I play in an original modern rock band and a cover band doing everything from Zeppelin to Kings of Leon to Michael Jackson and Chuck Berry and everything else in between. Great amp for anything thinking about picking one up.
            Oh man is the Goldfinger perfect for pedals. It doesn't necessarily need them, but I have gotten incredible results with them. I currently use my trusty Maxon OD820 most of the time, but I'm starting to use my custom Landgraff D.O. more and more. For heavy distortion, I use a Wampler Sovereign which I'm quite happy with, but I aim to sell it to buy a G2D Morpheus Distortion. I have heard great things about the Suhr Riot and want to get my hands on one at some point, but the Morpheus has been an itch for a while.

The funny thing about the Goldfinger is that I prefer to use my overdrives through the front of the amp. Though it has 2 FX loops, one of which is made for overdrives/distortions, I like it through the front of the amp. I use the FX loop only for modulation. Mine is a Goldfinger 90 which I prefer over the Goldfinger 45 for gigging because it has more punch, depth, and overall bigger sound with immaculate mids, but for home and studio, the 45 dishes out the goods a little better.

You may want to consider keeping the Shiva. The Goldfinger covers everything except thrash, and it has one of the best EL34 clean channels there is, but the Shiva also has an incredible clean channel and a unique gain voicing. The thing that makes me miss my Shiva is that it wasn't until a a couple of weeks before I sold it that I discovered that I preferred to keep the "shift" button engaged all of the time. I could never quite get the EQ I wanted without the shift button. What it does is takes out some of the dominant low mids but leaves the high mids in tact so it cuts through like a Marshall. It occurred to me that what I wanted it to do was sound more like a Marshall, and with the shift it did.

Anyway, I know what you mean about the Loud 69 mode. I prefer to mostly stay on it and use a pedal, but 80's mode is quite good. I found that 80's mode sounds best at full power, while Loud 69 sounds best with the low power setting.

I'd like to know more about the Riot. What can you tell me about it, and is yours the new version or the old version?

Comment

I'm assuming the functions are the same between the 45 and the 90?

I haven't used the FX loop exclusively yet. Currently, I'm running all my pedals through the front of the amp and am really happy with how well the 45 takes them. By doing so, I'm using the FX as a clean volume for both channels, and that's on top of already having that gain boost the 45 has already. It's great. I love the possibilities. I also really love how there is two delegate boosts for each channel. Such a variety of tones available before engaging any pedals. I'll have to explore the 80s mode a little more at some point as well as the plugging in my modulation pedals through the FX loop.

Do you know if I will still be able to use the FX Loop as a clean boost if I'm running mod pedals through the back?! I'm not too sure but I'm guessing not.

I really like the Riot. It's the v1, not the more recent release. I almost sold it the other week to raise funds to buy the bogner red pedal. That fell through as the guy sold it before I could buy it but I'm glad it worked out that way. I really like the pedal. I run the gain low as I use it to stack on top of the amp's gain for solos. I picked it up used for a good price. The three switches allows for different tonal options. I have mine set towards the far right playing with my Gib LP as it provides an open air, mid-range woody tone that I really like. Plenty of gain on tap for heavy rock, metal, thrash etc.

Great original review, by the way. I read it from time to time and it's the review that made me pull the trigger I purchasing my 45.
              Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
              Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
              Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
              Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Comment

Marked for later reading.

Going to bed now - it is 5:30am over here.
                Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                X