Shiva Vs. Splawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiva Vs. Splawn

I was curious to know just how far the Shiva can get into "Splawn" territory, so I googled "Shiva vs. Splawn".

I found a thread adressing this very topic, started by our own "Papersoul" elsewhere.
    Heres the thread.
    I Appreciate any further insight or comments. Sorry for the recent deluge of thread topic about the Shiva here , but I'm just looking to solidify the nebulous information I have about this amp.;

papersoul
    11-27-2010, 06:30 AM
    So, yesterday I finally got out to compare the two!

I brought alpong my Shiva and played along side the SR I have had my eye on.

I have been thinking of getting the Splawn SR because I was thinking I wanted something very true Marshall like.

So, what I found was first the Shiva was thicker, fatter, but not AS Marshally. The Bogner is more of a Marshall based tone, thicker, more low mids and lows, but I can still pull off old school Marshall tones ala Page and Lifeson all night long, just thicker and fatter, more forgiving.

With the Shiva I can also get into Mesa tone with the Shift button in. I bought the Shiva because I was never the biggest stock Marshall fan and can't make use of a good ole JCM 800 or Plexi.

Step up to the Splawn. Great Marshall tones, more true to Marshall than the Shiva, more upper mids and that high jangle, less lows. Great amp. The cleans are better on the Shiva, so to me seems like the more versatile.

In the end, having the SR seemed like it could be redundant next to my Shiva since I can get fairly good Marshall tones, but more to my liking...meaing mor low mids and lows.....while style having the Marshall cut and snarl when I want it.

Both killer amps.....but let your ears decide as I did.
    fusionbear
    11-27-2010, 04:40 PM
    Both are great amps, no doubt. Ironically, I have been eyeing the single channel Splawn. I have cleans covered with my CA and Weber, but I want something a little more raw than my CA when I play covers. My CA is voiced more to the lower mids, kind of like the Shiva. A friend of mine is lending me his Quick Rod this week so I can make up my mind...
    If I get it, it wouldn't take the place of my CA, that is still my #1. The Splawn would be an alternate amp...
    panhead5
    11-27-2010, 05:03 PM
    I gotta admit -I've never understood the shiva as being anything Marshally and after playing a 20th even more so.To me it just doesn't clean at all with a volume knob and to my ears doesn't sound like a Marshall .Not to say it doesn't do alot of things well and folks sure love them.

I own a Quick rod and have never heard a street rod but I think the comparison between the shiva and street rod is a little unusual .To me not really apples to apples.

Just my .02.
    Hacksaw
    11-27-2010, 05:23 PM
    A lot of people have moved from a Shiva to a Splawn product. OK I actually only know of one. Me LOL!

I think the street rod and the Shiva would be a fun comparison. I know the Shiva amp well. Glad to hear a comparison to a Streetrod. Kind of given me an idea where the streetrod sits.

Appreciate the post, papersoul.
    suparsonic
    11-27-2010, 05:26 PM
    It's often hard to compare a dark amp to a bright amp. Your ears get acustomed to one type tone and takes some time on the other to aclimatise.
    papersoul
    11-27-2010, 06:55 PM
    I gotta admit -I've never understood the shiva as being anything Marshally and after playing a 20th even more so.To me it just doesn't clean at all with a volume knob and to my ears doesn't sound like a Marshall .Not to say it doesn't do alot of things well and folks sure love them.

I own a Quick rod and have never heard a street rod but I think the comparison between the shiva and street rod is a little unusual .To me not really apples to apples.

Just my .02.

You played the KT88 version? Big difference with the EL34 20th. Very Marshall yto me. Great Plexi to JCM 800 tones in there! Mine cleans up great with the volume knob. Weird. What amps do you own that clean up better with the volume knob?

I only compared them because it was another amp I was looking at to supplement my Shiva or replace. But, I just love how thick and woody the Shiva is and I can't find that anywhere...plus the Shiva is more forgiving than the Splawn.
    I guess I just found the Shiva more fun to play than the StreetRod and sounded thicker, wider. I am the only guitarist in the band so I like a fat sound, hence the Shiva. I own a VHT ST/50 and the Shiva and was considering adding the Splawn next spring or the new Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Heck I might end up with both! LOL.
    suparsonic
    11-27-2010, 07:02 PM
    I haven't played a Splawn but I have spent about an hour with a 20th Shiva. It was the most impressive amp I've heard in a long time (along with the Marsha). I actually prefered it to the 20th XTC.
    papersoul
    11-27-2010, 07:13 PM
    I haven't played a Splawn but I have spent about an hour with a 20th Shiva. It was the most impressive amp I've heard in a long time (along with the Marsha). I actually prefered it to the 20th XTC.

I love it! This is all personal preference really. Some would love one over the other and there is no right or wrong. With EL34s, my 20th is the best "Marshall" for me. It's like taking a Marshall and fixing the things I don't like about Marshall, LOL. For ME that is....

The Street Rod has more of that loose marshall jangly top end than the El34 20th shiva but not as thick as the shiva at all. I really like thick. Quick rod in 2nd gear next to a jcm800 I bet is close but I think I would take the SR. But I would take the EL34 20th Shiva over that so because it has the thickness I like.

I can even get some fairly good Mesa Boogie tones using the shift switch. Maybe I'll hold off on the Marshall thing and go for a Dual Rec next year.
    panhead5
    11-27-2010, 09:54 PM
    You played the KT88 version? Big difference with the EL34 20th. Very Marshall yto me. Great Plexi to JCM 800 tones in there! Mine cleans up great with the volume knob. Weird. What amps do you own that clean up better with the volume knob?

I only compared them because it was another amp I was looking at to supplement my Shiva or replace. But, I just love how thick and woody the Shiva is and I can't find that anywhere...plus the Shiva is more forgiving than the Splawn.
    I guess I just found the Shiva more fun to play than the StreetRod and sounded thicker, wider. I am the only guitarist in the band so I like a fat sound, hence the Shiva. I own a VHT ST/50 and the Shiva and was considering adding the Splawn next spring or the new Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Heck I might end up with both! LOL.

Interesting .We have an old shiva that really sounds great and cleans up super with the volume knob where the the 20th really doesn't and we aren't running insane gain either .Both these amps are el34's .The guy who owns it is an amp tech and tone freak so we'll have to try KT-88's.
    papersoul
    11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
    Interesting .We have an old shiva that really sounds great and cleans up super with the volume knob where the the 20th really doesn't and we aren't running insane gain either .Both these amps are el34's .The guy who owns it is an amp tech and tone freak so we'll have to try KT-88's.

Yea, I didn't like the tone of the old Shivas. The new one I just love and I make use of the volume knob a lot for cleaning things up so that is surpricing. Scratching my head, LOL.
    papersoul
    01-03-2011, 09:20 AM
    My 20th Shiva with EL34 gets great Marshall like tones with proper tweaking. Great amp! It also does the modern....high gain Marshall thing.
    ronmail65
    01-03-2011, 10:57 AM
    Papersoul...

I'm glad you were able to finally achieve the A/B comparison you were looking for and hopefully satisfied your curiousity. Based on our previous dialogue, I'm not surprised at your conclusion.

I have zero experience with the Shiva, but I am an SR owner (previous owner of many Splawns) and was very interested in what you had to say. Not sure if you tried this, but if you take the SR into half power mode and/or turned down the loop volume on the SR it becomes a little spongy and smoother. It's subtle, but you might find it more pleasing to your tastes. Still, it's probably not your thing. But at least you've pursued it and gotten a conclusion.

I'm still looking for the less than $1000 2 channel 1x12 combo as backup for my SR. I tried the Blackstar HT 60, but the tone didn't suit me.
    papersoul
    01-04-2011, 05:59 AM
    Hi ron,

I really love the thickness of the 20th Shiva with EL34s. It seriously oozes and drips juicy tone. That said, I am considering selling my VHT ST/50(never thought I'd say that!) to buy a StreetRod because I really don't have anything that is true Marshall.
    ronmail65
    01-04-2011, 06:55 AM
    Hi ron,

I really love the thickness of the 20th Shiva with EL34s. It seriously oozes and drips juicy tone. That said, I am considering selling my VHT ST/50(never thought I'd say that!) to buy a StreetRod because I really don't have anything that is true Marshall.

I probably told you this before, but the reason I was referred to getting a Splawn amp (by individuals on this very forum) and probably the reason I like them so much is because I wished my favorite amps (Marshall JMP Master Volume 100W heads) had a little more gain and features (such as FX loop and solo boosting) and I didn't want to mod my Marshalls.

I tried a bunch of amps, but once I got a Splawn -- that was it for me. The only amp that sounded as good (based on my preferences), lacked in the gig-able features I was looking for -- that was a Fargen Mighty Plex.

I don't make these statements to be controversial or get into a "which is the better hot rodded Marshall type tone" -- this is my experience and opinion. I voice it because I fully support your conclusion on the Splawn tone.
    papersoul
    04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
    Sometimes I wonder if the 20th Shiva with EL34s is actually very close to the Splawn SR because the new 20th Shivas are brighter with more cut than the old. A friend of mine thinks that new Bogners are very Marshally and more upper mids....not the low mids we all think they are.
    papersoul
    05-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Just my .02.

I have to say the new 20th Shiva is not dark!

I always found Marshalls to sound a little to tinny and thin. Modded Marshalls were always my favorites. I think that is why I like the new Shiva so much, it's like someone took a good Marshall and made it much better.

When I did compare the Splawn to the Shiva, I found them somewhat similar, the SR reminded me of my VHT ST/50...kind of like an amp trying to get the VH tone. The Shiva just seemed like it did a lot more, was more musical and 3D.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Shiva Vs. Splawn

Too long, didn't read. Get your collection of OD pedals out, and continue running them into your vintage Marshall stacks. You can probably cop a good Shiva or Splawn with that rig.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

It doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure that you could have every Splawn and every Bogner, and you'd still say they were overrated and sucked because you don't know how to dial in a good tone on any amp.

Comment

Jerry(what they called German soldiers under the war)........How about you just play, instead of writing a book about sounds?

Comment

You're all over the place Jerry. However, I'll offer some of my experience if it's any help to you. There are some big gear whores in my family and it's no coincidence that it rubbed off on me. I absolutely love experimenting with gear. Bogner and Splawn two of the top brands I have ever played. I weighed the options and at one point even tried to make the switch from Bogner to Splawn. However, in the end, Bogner won out every time.

Generally, Splawns will have more gain except with the Shiva 20th and Uberschall. The Ecstasy has a high gain channel (red channel) but it's so good that I have a hard time classifying it has "high gain." What Bogners have is a depth and dimension that many other amps don't have. You just feel like there is something more oozing out in the tone than most amps. There's also something in the feel which makes it fun and inspiring to play. Besides all of that, they have a particular mid range growl and deep bassiness that's thick but not overpowering.

I have played some high-end Dumble clones before and as much as people compare Bogners to Marshalls, I think of them as kind of a Fender/Marshall/Dumble mix. Cleans are typically reminiscent of Fender, overall Marshall type of gain, but a smooth quality and kind of compression that I have heard in Dumble style amps. It's an interesting mix.

Splawn on the other hand is more of the modded/hotrodded Marshall thing. They are very dry in feel and sound. They have a great attack which makes them great for all kinds of metal and shred, and they are as tight as a dolphin's butthole. Take a plexi, JCM800, hotrodded JCM800 but add low end and low mids and you have the basic Splawn sound. The Street Rod has the best cleans I've heard from them to date, but none of their cleans are that great which limits their flexibility. The low and mid gain are actually my favorite sound in Splawn amps. I always though that they sound better with an OD pedal for high gain than the high gain modes.

Splawns are solidly built as are Bogners if not slightly more rugged because they have less switches and stuff, but I have never seen a sick Bogner before so that's that. However, in the tone department, I would have to give a couple of points to Bogner because of the flexibility and overall sound.

Both amp makers offer a lifetime warranty. However, I don't think Splawn limits their warranty on transformers as much as Bogner does. On the other hand, Splawn seems like a small company that's always inundated and never able to deliver in a timely manner. Their build time takes typically 1-2 months because they are as slow as molasses. I have no idea what their repair turn-around is but I would think they wouldn't be any faster to fix one than build one. Bogner, on the other hand, is surprisingly quick most of the time and I imagine they would have repairs done pretty fast. I cannot attest to that but they built and shipped my Shiva 20th Ann. out within a few days.

Bogner offers more options and flexibility, and is willing to substitute tubes and things like that, whereas Splawn is very rigid and doesn't grant requests for tubes and stuff, even if you supply them. I give a couple of points to Bogner for that.

Overall, they're both brands that are built to last a lifetime. Bogner carries their value better than Splawn on the used market, but Splawns seem to sell quicker if the price is right.

The best Splawn I ever played was the Competition. I thought it sounded better than the Quickrod. My 2nd favorite Splawn is the Nitro. It's a bit smoother than the Quickrod and perhaps a bit more versatile in that sense, and it has a better clean channel, but it's kind of hi-fi sounding so that's not everyone's thing.

There is a new 22w Splawn which might have a great clean channel since they base it on a 6V6 power section, but I have yet to play one. However, after playing the Goldfinger 45, I wouldn't consider any other 6V6 amp at this point.

Comment

^ thats a brillliant review. I knew there was a reason I posted this. Thanks. I know I profited a great deal from this, as I hope some others might down the road.
            I'll print this and put it in my portfolio.
            For sure Id love an exctasy, but im all about trades. Maybe I can snag one listing it with a cabient.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Dude, even though a lot of vintage type guys knock Engl, I'm telling you that you need to play an Invader. We're talking Marshall style high gain tones, beautiful cleans, great master volume that allows decent low volume tone, and a lot of flexibility. It sounds absolutely incredible. The clean tone is beautiful. If I were you, I wouldn't make a decision about an amp until you get to try one.

I haven't tried the ENGL Retro which is also an EL34 based amp, but I hear it sounds like a vintage voiced Invader but with 2 channels. That's something to check out too and the price range is the same as the regular Shiva.

Comment

Working...
              X