• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Amp Day: Another Fender

Congrats man!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
      Yeah the C-rex and G12H30 are two that I am really thinking over... Another speaker that I think might sound good would be the Jenses P12Q. I watched the PGS demo of the Limited Edition DRRI with the P12Q, and I think it sounded pretty darn good.

Lol! Well I've still got the Bassman too, so maybe I'll take a pic of both and make them my avatar.
      P12q's are pretty wimpy in the bass end. Nice sweet highs tho. Good if you are after that 50s vintage tweedy tone.
      G12H30 is nice, but i think better suited to agressive marshall mids and crunch than the wider spectrum of a cleaner fender amp.
      A c-rex is a match made in heaven for a deluxe.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

So I've been doing a little speaker research and I def like the idea of the eminence C. Rex but I don't know about putting 2 in my twin. What is a good speaker to pair with it?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JohnZAH View Post
          So I've been doing a little speaker research and I def like the idea of the eminence C. Rex but I don't know about putting 2 in my twin. What is a good speaker to pair with it?
          I used Celestions years ago with a SF Twin I had, but I was going for a Brit sound. They were whatever the cheapo model was in the early 80s. I'm surprised I never blew them.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
            P12q's are pretty wimpy in the bass end. Nice sweet highs tho. Good if you are after that 50s vintage tweedy tone.
            G12H30 is nice, but i think better suited to agressive marshall mids and crunch than the wider spectrum of a cleaner fender amp.
            A c-rex is a match made in heaven for a deluxe.
            Alright. I probably won't get the Jensen then. It sounded good in the demo but Andy from PGS can make anything sound good. Lol I should be trading for the G12H30, but I think I am also going to order a C-Rex to try out too. Never a bad thing to have extra speakers
            Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
              Alright. I probably won't get the Jensen then. It sounded good in the demo but Andy from PGS can make anything sound good. Lol I should be trading for the G12H30, but I think I am also going to order a C-Rex to try out too. Never a bad thing to have extra speakers
              Avatar's Hellatone 30 is a G12H30 that has been gently broken in, and rebranded. I've used them, great stuff. The also have great prices for them because they buy them by the truckload.

Comment

Speakers are like asking "what color will I like".
                The answers are all over the map.
                Think I have seen more Eminence RW&Blues in a Dlx Rev than any other speaker.
                I have compared them (in BF Fenders) with the Weber F150 and I could not tell the difference in the time it took to change the speaker.
                Eminence Governor is a speaker that sounds good in a lot of amps as well.
                You will just have to spend some money and see what you like.
                Good Luck
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
                  Avatar's Hellatone 30 is a G12H30 that has been gently broken in, and rebranded. I've used them, great stuff. The also have great prices for them because they buy them by the truckload.
                  Ok cool. I'll remember that for future reference. I kept thinking that the Hellatone 30 was a V30 copy, for some reason.
                  Originally posted by zzmoore View Post
                  Speakers are like asking "what color will I like".
                  The answers are all over the map.
                  Think I have seen more Eminence RW&Blues in a Dlx Rev than any other speaker.
                  I have compared them (in BF Fenders) with the Weber F150 and I could not tell the difference in the time it took to change the speaker.
                  Eminence Governor is a speaker that sounds good in a lot of amps as well.
                  You will just have to spend some money and see what you like.
                  Good Luck
                  Yeah, I see what you mean. I went ahead and ordered a C-Rex, and I'll be trading for a G12H30, so I will see how I like them.
                  Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by JohnZAH View Post
                    I have a pair of texas heats in my twin. They replaced a pair of weber californias (too loud, too efficient, too much top end - but still nicer than the jensen c12k). The texans add balls and girth to the twin and tame the top end which sometimes has the tendency to kill small animals at 100 yards. I'd quite like to try a pair of cannabis rexes in there, but then that would only rate at 100watts and i like headroom to let the twin pump the big low end out (i use a fuzz face pretty much 24/7 and the low end is always meaty).
                    Maybe you'd like to go for one c-rex and one texas, but the c rex would still be potentially getting half of the twins output, which at 85 watts would be 42.5 watts, so while its within the 50w rating of the cannabis, it would potentially be pushing the low end a bit far - but that's just specualtion. However, ive found some 50watt speakers (the stocker fender thing and a jensen c12n) to get flappy in the low end even with 15watt amps - it must be something to do with maximum wattage at various frequencies or something. Ive tried cannabis in 2 fender amps (a princeton and a princeton II) and they have been superb but i have not tried one in my twin.
                    A cannabis at 50 watts is perfect in a 22w amp, and i'm sure it'd be cool in a twin, i just decided that two texans at 150w each would be epic. It turned out i was right. At my last (fill in) gig the bandleader asked me "how do i get the big twin sounding so good? Usually they are too loud and painful..." Quite often i play with no bass player and people say they think it sounds like a whole band. I reckon the right speakers are a big part of the equation. It even sounds fat at lower club type volumes.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-02-2012, 02:06 AM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                      I have a pair of texas heats in my twin. They replaced a pair of weber californias (too loud, too efficient, too much top end - but still nicer than the jensen c12k). The texans add balls and girth to the twin and tame the top end which sometimes has the tendency to kill small animals at 100 yards. I'd quite like to try a pair of cannabis rexes in there, but then that would only rate at 100watts and i like headroom to let the twin pump the big low end out (i use a fuzz face pretty much 24/7 and the low end is always meaty).
                      Maybe you'd like to go for one c-rex and one texas, but the c rex would still be potentially getting half of the twins output, which at 85 watts would be 42.5 watts, so while its within the 50w rating of the cannabis, it would potentially be pushing the low end a bit far - but that's just specualtion. However, ive found some 50watt speakers (the stocker fender thing and a jensen c12n) to get flappy in the low end even with 15watt amps - it must be something to do with maximum wattage at various frequencies or something. Ive tried cannabis in 2 fender amps (a princeton and a princeton II) and they have been superb but i have not tried one in my twin.
                      A cannabis at 50 watts is perfect in a 22w amp, and i'm sure it'd be cool in a twin, i just decided that two texans at 150w each would be epic. It turned out i was right. At my last (fill in) gig the bandleader asked me "how do i get the big twin sounding so good? Usually they are too loud and painful..." Quite often i play with no bass player and people say they think it sounds like a whole band. I reckon the right speakers are a big part of the equation. It even sounds fat at lower club type volumes.
                      Hey thanks for this post. I find it extremely helpful because I was wondering about the Texas heats! But also the red, white and blues. Those might have too much high end though.

I was also curious about the c Rex being at 50 watts. I highly doubt I will overpower them but will the low end get weird on me? I would hate to have to eq out all of the bass just to accommodate for the speakers.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X