X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carvin Legacy?

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
    Wow man, just stop.

First, MF doesn't sell Carvin. You can only get them through Carvin.

Secondly, the Legacy never sold below $799 brand new.

Third, the Legacy series has tons of headroom and stays pristine clean when cranked.

Fourth, it sounds like you never played a Carvin, let alone the Legacy series.

Fifth, stop bashing something you have absolutely no experience with.
    WORD!! 1- Carvin NEVER sold anything through MF. 2- These amps have a TON of clean HR and the phrase lack of clean headroom with ANY Carvin amp does not compute!!
    The original Legacy has one of the best clean channels on the planet!
    Very warm and round on the crunch side not super high gain but sweet and VERY organic and the cleans are to die for! The legacy 1's are GREAT amps.
    Nice demos of the Legacy 1. Keep the EL 34's in these amps if you want REALLY killer cleans!

Last edited by Ascension; 11-06-2012, 09:32 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The original Legacy 1s are great. It's downfalls were it was an extremely loud 100 watts ,needed to be cranked to high levels to sound good, and needed outboard pedals (DS-1, TS-9 or Ibanez Jemini) to get the best tones, which is what Vai did- which he didnt mind since he always used pedals to boost his amps.

No one could really figure out what they were shooting for with the Legacy 2, except it was a Master Volume version designed with the help if Ben Fargen ghat allowed you to get good overdrive tones at lower volumes. IMO if was priced to high, no one could see what they were spending the extra money on compared to the Legacy 1, Vai didn't like it and rarely used it.

The Legacy 3 needs no external pedals, can, it can get the overdriven tones and lower levels, is reasonably priced, portable, 3 channel, so it's an improved Legacy 1 with a few more features and IMO is the best if the 3

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
        The original Legacy 1s are great. It's downfalls were it was an extremely loud 100 watts ,needed to be cranked to high levels to sound good, and needed outboard pedals (DS-1, TS-9 or Ibanez Jemini) to get the best tones, which is what Vai did- which he didnt mind since he always used pedals to boost his amps.

No one could really figure out what they were shooting for with the Legacy 2, except it was a Master Volume version designed with the help if Ben Fargen ghat allowed you to get good overdrive tones at lower volumes. IMO if was priced to high, no one could see what they were spending the extra money on compared to the Legacy 1, Vai didn't like it and rarely used it.

The Legacy 3 needs no external pedals, can, it can get the overdriven tones and lower levels, is reasonably priced, portable, 3 channel, so it's an improved Legacy 1 with a few more features and IMO is the best if the 3
        Honestly, I not the biggest fan of using pedals for distortion/overdrive. I don't like having a bunch of stuff between the amp and guitar mainly because more things could go wrong, and with my luck they would go wrong.
        88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
        Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
        Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
        Vox NightTrain 50.
        My Band

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post
          Honestly, I not the biggest fan of using pedals for distortion/overdrive. I don't like having a bunch of stuff between the amp and guitar mainly because more things could go wrong, and with my luck they would go wrong.
          Besides...it usually sounds better!
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I remember reading that the first Legacy had a ton of headroom on the clean channel and didn't break up at high volume. This is why I never tried one because I like my clean channels dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              Besides...it usually sounds better!
              Exactly!

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
              I remember reading that the first Legacy had a ton of headroom on the clean channel and didn't break up at high volume. This is why I never tried one because I like my clean channels dirty.
              That too. I like a bit of bite in my clean channel. The other amp I'm looking at is a Vox Night train 50 and I like it because it has that break up.
              88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
              Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
              Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
              Vox NightTrain 50.
              My Band

Comment

Originally posted by dmandude123455 View Post

That too. I like a bit of bite in my clean channel. The other amp I'm looking at is a Vox Night train 50 and I like it because it has that break up.
                Keep in mind, The Legacy can achieve that edge of break up sound, you just got to dial it up right. It's more organic than the VOX and very dynamic. Really digging into the clean will give you that break up sound.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

I had one as my main amp for about 4 years. I really liked it.

The clean channel was awesome - really fat and articulate. Very high headroom too, great amp for fattening a Strat. It took pedals VERY well.

The dirty channel was very fat and powerful sounding, although I found myself needing to use JJ tubes and EQing it very carefully to avoid getting a little muddy. The being said, the tone controls worked very well (on the clean channel as well) But nevertheless it was great-sounding. Kinda had it's own thing going on with a little bit of a Marshally edge. I could've used 6L6's in there but I never did. Great amp for rock.

The thing was LOUD, even for a 100 watter. I found myself having to use an attenuator (Dr. Z Airbrake) to keep it under control with the band I was in. I don't know whether that contributed to me smoking the amp twice (once in the input stage, once in the output stage), but I never heard about any OTHER Legacies breaking down.

I woudn't mind having one again, actually, just as a backup amp. It did everything pretty well, save for being quiet. And I don't mean that there was a lot of background noise... I mean it was just LOUD. To steal a phrase from sosomething, it was like operating a small aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                  X