Yep, I got a Flashback X4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, I got a Flashback X4

I was in Portland last weekend, so of course I went to PGS's retail store in the Pearl District. Such a cool place.

I had a mission: get a killer delay pedal to run in the effects loop of my Mark V. One delay to rule them all. I knew that the X4 had just come out, but going in I wasn't certain it would be the one I took home. I was trying nearly every tap tempo delay in the store, including strong contenders such as the Memory Lane Jr. and the Empress Superdelay VM.

The Flashback X4 wins in every category:

- sounds great
    - easy to use
    - lots of versatility

Plus it's an excellent looper, which was something I was looking to get at some point anyway.

The three presets are great to have, since I like to have many types of delay available. On mine, I set the first one up with the Space Echo clone (not exactly as nice as a real RE-201, but a great sounding modded delay nonetheless) with quarter note repeats and moderate feedback. I am using this one the most right now.

The second preset is meant to do what I was doing with my Aqua Puss: analog mode (surprisingly good facimile of a bucket brigade delay), short time, lots of feedback. This is great for ambient, volume swell-type stuff.

I keep changing my mind on the third preset. For now I'm keeping it in 2290 mode for a tight, focused digital delay.

I haven't even scratched the surface of the Toneprint stuff yet. It's a pretty cool feature though.

I played the X4 in rehearsal today, and the band was gobsmacked. We all loved it. I've used plenty of delays in this band, but this was the first time I've had anyone else tell me my delay tone was awesome. The guys kept combing through our catalog for songs that had delay in them so we could keep hearing it. I've never had that reaction to a new pedal before. Everything it touched filled the room with lush, organic echo, and my dry tone sounded weak in comparison. I might just leave it on all the time, but set preset 3 up as an ultra-short doubling effect. Maybe.

Only negative points I can think of:

- It's physically very large. It replaced two pedals on my board, and I had to do a major board overhaul ... otherwise I would have had no hope of accommodating it.

- It has MIDI, but in and thru only (i.e. it will not produce MIDI messages itself) and it's not configurable in any way. I was hoping I could use it to send tempo changes to my M5. I guess I could have the M5 send tempo to the X4, but I much prefer the feel of the more rugged switches on the X4 for tapping.

Those are both very minor complaints for me, especially the MIDI one.

So yeah, emphatic thumbs up for the Flashback X4. Anyone who wants a tap tempo delay would be foolish to ignore it.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Re: Yep, I got a Flashback X4

Well, those are the three delay sounds that I'm looking for. I'll have to look at it again - from the clips, I thought it sounded more polished, digital and "distant" than units like the MLjr.

Also, I know I could look this up, but will it do stereo ping-pong in any of the modes?

Ok, I know why I didn't look at it much earlier - I don't see any adjustment for the modulation. I like very subtle mod delay... maybe I should try it and see if the sounds you're stuck with are tasteful. It is TC Electronic. Also, having the Toneprints without giving me access to the editor pisses me off. I have to sell how many albums to earn the right to tweak?
    Last edited by ParameterMan; 11-05-2012, 12:53 AM.

Comment

The more I've been using delay pedals like my Deja Vu and Boss DD-7, the more I've been into FX looping them. The only inconvenience is running two long cables for just modulation/delay. I zip tied those two cables together. But the overall sound is worthwhile.

I really like the Boss DD-7, but if I start jonesing too hard, I may have to swap it for this real estate hog of a pedal...the TC.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
        Also, I know I could look this up, but will it do stereo ping-pong in any of the modes?
        I got the standard Flashback, and it got a ping-pong mode. Assuming the X4 does too.

Comment

You bastard! HAPPY NPD!

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
            Well, those are the three delay sounds that I'm looking for. I'll have to look at it again - from the clips, I thought it sounded more polished, digital and "distant" than units like the MLjr.

Ok, I know why I didn't look at it much earlier - I don't see any adjustment for the modulation. I like very subtle mod delay... maybe I should try it and see if the sounds you're stuck with are tasteful. It is TC Electronic. Also, having the Toneprints without giving me access to the editor pisses me off. I have to sell how many albums to earn the right to tweak?
            Yes it has ping pong, and full stereo.

For me, I don't need the modulation control because there is already so much variation in delay tone in the stock settings alone. I like how you can vary the modulation in the Memory Lane Jr, and it's a great pedal, but compared to the X4 it's definitely a one trick pony. Plus, in all honesty, I just prefer the way the X4 sounds in general. I was not expecting that.

As for Toneprint, I'm so pleased with the stock delay modes at the moment that I haven't even tried it, let alone wanted to make my own.

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
            The more I've been using delay pedals like my Deja Vu and Boss DD-7, the more I've been into FX looping them. The only inconvenience is running two long cables for just modulation/delay. I zip tied those two cables together. But the overall sound is worthwhile.

I really like the Boss DD-7, but if I start jonesing too hard, I may have to swap it for this real estate hog of a pedal...the TC.
            It's definitely worthwhile, especially if you have an amp with a foot-switchable FX loop like mine. I've done delays in the loop and in front of the amp before, but never have I had such nice, spacious delay as with the X4.

Right now I'm looking into a way to buy or build a three channel snake (input, fx send, fx return) to run between my board and my amp.

I tried the DD-20 while I was at PGS, and I've tried it years ago as well. It had some good tones, but was way more complicated to use than the X4, and definitely didn't sound as good to me overall. I've never tried a DD-7 but I imagine it's very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
              Plus, in all honesty, I just prefer the way the X4 sounds in general. I was not expecting that.
              Coming from you, that's got me determined to try one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

Great idea!

Thanks man... Am gonna be trying it as soon as possible!

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Happy NPD!

I kinda dig it... Yet, the fact that it is not small is sorta making me think you know... Love the TC stuff. In fact, I've been using a Nova Repeater for quite a while now.

B
                  FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I was lucky enough to have TC Electronic send me one to test and review. I've yet to have a good play with it (damned life getting in the way), but what I've heard so far has been awesome. I really need to set up tails for some of the stuff I play with my band, but I'm going to have to get the star shaped allen keys to open up the back and set that.
                    http://www.lonephantom.com
                    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Originally posted by LonePhantom View Post
                      I was lucky enough to have TC Electronic send me one to test and review. I've yet to have a good play with it (damned life getting in the way), but what I've heard so far has been awesome. I really need to set up tails for some of the stuff I play with my band, but I'm going to have to get the star shaped allen keys to open up the back and set that.
                      Yeah, I can't say I was impressed to see allen screws on the case. They talk about how you can use the DIP switches inside to turn off true bypass and tails, then they go and use a completely non-standard screw.

It doesn't affect me though, because I use the Mark V's fx loop footswitch to toggle the effect.

Comment

That's lucky then. I don't have that, so I need to sort out the switching since I need tails on a couple of my band's songs. I'll try and get a set of the star shaped soon, so how the X4 fares with the tails on.
                        http://www.lonephantom.com
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Working...
                        X