OHM and Cab Wiring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHM and Cab Wiring Question

I have a 212 cab that is currently wired as 16 ohm mono (with 2 celestion 8 ohm speakers), if I put in two 16 ohm speakers wired parallel would that make it an 8 ohm cab? If it's in series, does it then become 16?

Anyone have any schematics?

Next question is I have a jet city 20 watt combo and 112 ext cab. Both currently have a single 16 ohm speaker in it. The speaker out has 16, 8 and 8. When using just the combo I use the 16 speaker out, but when using the ext I use BOTH 8 ohm outs...

that said, If I replace the 16 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm speaker in both the combo and ext cab, do I still use both 8 ohm outs????
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: OHM and Cab Wiring Question

No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

If I wire it in series, it would have a 32 ohm, what speaker out would I use? Is there any benefit to wiring it in series?

Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
        I have a 212 cab that is currently wired as 16 ohm mono (with 2 celestion 8 ohm speakers), if I put in two 16 ohm speakers wired parallel would that make it an 8 ohm cab? If it's in series, does it then become 16?
        Two 16 ohm speakers in parallel = 8 ohms total.

Two 16 ohm speakers in series = 32 ohms total.

Anyone have any schematics?
        Parallel: connect the positives of both speakers to the jack tip. Connect the negatives of both speakers to the jack ring.

Series: jack tip -> speaker 1 positive. Speaker 1 negative -> speaker 2 positive. Speaker 2 negative -> jack ring.

Next question is I have a jet city 20 watt combo and 112 ext cab. Both currently have a single 16 ohm speaker in it. The speaker out has 16, 8 and 8. When using just the combo I use the 16 speaker out, but when using the ext I use BOTH 8 ohm outs...

that said, If I replace the 16 ohm speaker with an 8 ohm speaker in both the combo and ext cab, do I still use both 8 ohm outs????
        No, because your amp has those two 8 ohm jacks wired in parallel. It's expecting the total load to be 8 ohms, which is what you get with two 16 ohm cabs. If you replace those 16 ohm speakers with 8 ohm, your total load will drop to 4 ohms.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
          No, because your amp has those two 8 ohm jacks wired in parallel. It's expecting the total load to be 8 ohms, which is what you get with two 16 ohm cabs. If you replace those 16 ohm speakers with 8 ohm, your total load will drop to 4 ohms.
          So I pretty much have to keep 16 ohm speakers in it if I wanna use both combo and ext cab...
          Mesa Stiletto Ace
          Gurus 5015
          Mesa Widebody 1X12
          Pedalboard

Comment

So I pretty much have to keep 16 ohm speakers in it if I wanna use both combo and ext cab...
            With that amp, yes.

Comment

For my 212 cab, if I swap out the 8 ohm speakers for 16 ohm, is there any benefit to wiring it in series or parallel?

If it's in series at 32 ohms, what speaker out would I use? My amp (VHT Deliverance) has a 4, 8 and 16?
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

For my 212 cab, if I swap out the 8 ohm speakers for 16 ohm, is there any benefit to wiring it in series or parallel?

If it's in series at 32 ohms, what speaker out would I use? My amp (VHT Deliverance) has a 4, 8 and 16?
                Series vs parallel makes absolutely zero difference in tone, and 32 ohms is ridiculous, so parallel is really your only option.

Comment

Working...
                X