10 inch low-watt speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 inch low-watt speakers

Any thoughts? It's for an early '60's Gibson Skylark, which is kind of like a Champ, around 5 Watts. I need an 8 ohm speaker, and I think I'd like to go with an Alnico magnet.

I've looked into Webers, Jensens, and Eminences. I've had good results with Eminence in the past, but all of their 10 inch speakers are rated too high in wattage for this amp. I'd like something in the 10 to 25 watt range. Jensen's is Alnico, 25W, but it's pretty expensive. Weber has a few offerings. One in the 40 to 50 dollar range, and a more expensive line, about 85 dollars.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: 10 inch low-watt speakers

I have a 10A100T (no doping!) in my V Front Super clone and I LOVE IT!!!

Highly recommended!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I really have had great success with some small Weber's in the past. All 8" speakers but I've no doubt that'll translate to 10" speakers as well.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

Highly recommended!
        Thanks...but what is that, exactly? A Weber?
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

a 10a100t would be a weber.

I've only used their 12" speakers but I love them. email them and they can help you find the perfect thing. they can even break them in at the factory for you.

also newer jensens are made a bit differently, and made in italy... weber's stuff tries to get closer to the classic jensen sound or so I've heard
          Last edited by FuseG4; 11-06-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I see. Thank you. I had overlooked that model when looking at Weber's Website.

P.S. I need 8 ohms, if that makes a difference in your recommendation.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

What is your worry about a 30 Watt speaker in a 5 Watt amp.?
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Usually a low wattage speaker will break up sooner and give you some natural compression, and u can get more grit and bark by using a lower wattage alnico mag with something like a 5W...

Comment

My bad...yes a Weber.

It's the Weber version of a P10R which is likely what was in that amp new, or at least what should have been in that amp new.

They can be had in 20 and in 30 watt versions (the original P10Rs were only about 10-12 watts a pop but there is not much market for that these days!) and either would be fine.

I really love that speaker...not a ton of headroom even in the 30 watt version but sweet tone, amazing alnico magnet compression and that reedy almost horn like breakup if you push it hard enough.
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by zzmoore View Post
                    What is your worry about a 30 Watt speaker in a 5 Watt amp.?
                    The only speaker I looked at that sort of matches those specs is the Eminence 1028K, which is 35W. That's their lowest powered 10, according to their Website.

I'm looking to both get pretty close to the stock speaker, and to allow it to introduce some distortion, hence my desire for something around a 15W rating.

Reconing is another option.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-06-2012, 08:09 PM.
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

Highly recommended!
                      Great speaker.

The Jensen P10R reissue's not bad for the money. Supposedly, none other than Jeff Beck is using them in his Pro Junior's.

I like the one Christian recommended if it's the same speaker that Weber used to call the P10RT. I have a Weber P10RT in my Princeton/Harvard...the amp in my avatar.

Hey! Know what? My brother Bruce at Mission Amps has one in a box.

If you're interested I'm sure you could work out a deal.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        The only speaker I looked at that sort of matches those specs is the Eminence 1028K, which is 35W. That's their lowest powered 10, according to their Website.

I'm looking to both get pretty close to the stock speaker, and to allow it to introduce some distortion, hence my desire for something around a 15W rating.

Reconing is another option.
                        The wattage of the speaker isn't that big of a deal until you get MUCH higher...

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                          Great speaker.

The Jensen P10R reissue's not bad for the money. Supposedly, none other than Jeff Beck is using them in his Pro Junior's.

I like the one Christian recommended if it's the same speaker that Weber used to call the P10RT. I have a Weber P10RT in my Princeton/Harvard...the amp in my avatar.

Hey! Know what? My brother Bruce at Mission Amps has one in a box.

If you're interested I'm sure you could work out a deal.
                          That's the one and in fact that's where I got mine!

On your and Bruces nudging I got the 10A100T and matched it up with a 10F125 for my Plough Front Super...amazing combo!

Comment

ItsaBass, I appreciate all your great advice in my threads and comments. What is the purpose of this speaker? I assume you already know this, but just in case: I have an epiphone valve junior combo with an 8" speaker, and that thing is waaayyy too loud for an apartment even when you just put the volume dial at "1"!

Ergo, any 10" speaker would be too loud for the standard quiet apartment, if you are running a tube amp through it; i.e. speaker distortion is completely out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                              ItsaBass, I appreciate all your great advice in my threads and comments. What is the purpose of this speaker? I assume you already know this, but just in case: I have an epiphone valve junior combo with an 8" speaker, and that thing is waaayyy too loud for an apartment even when you just put the volume dial at "1"!

Ergo, any 10" speaker would be too loud for the standard quiet apartment, if you are running a tube amp through it; i.e. speaker distortion is completely out of the question.
                              The size of a speaker has nothing to do with the volume levels the speaker will produce...

Comment

Working...
                              X