Footswitch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footswitch Question

I could just use this to switch channels or turn the reverb on my amp right? They both have footswitch inputs in the back of the amp.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Footswitch Question

What kind of amp do you have? You might get the one made by the amp manufacturer cheaper.
    I want more me in my tone.

Comment

It's an old Yamaha from 1979. Probably wouldn't be able to get an original.

Comment

Let me check with a buddy of mine, he may have one. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Comment

All footswitches are not innerchangeable. For one example is the Fender which uses diodes to create different voltages for switching. The Boss you've shown is a simple latching pedal. To test, put a cable into the jack then jumper the other end barrel to tip w/ a wire and alligator clip. I'm assuming you don't have access to a schematic???

Comment

No I don't...

Can I damage an amp by using the wrong footswitch or will it simply not work?

I bought a FS-5L to use with something else on my board (another boss pedal). It should be here soon, could I just try it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
              No I don't...

Can I damage an amp by using the wrong footswitch or will it simply not work?

I bought a FS-5L to use with something else on my board (another boss pedal). It should be here soon, could I just try it out?
              If it were mine, I'd try it out.

Comment

You could use a vox single switch which may work. I used one for different amps.
                Originally posted by grumptruck
                No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                Originally posted by Gear Used
                PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                Gurus 5015
                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                Pedalboard

Comment

As stated, the important thing is to get the right type. Some amps will require a latching footswitch (most of 'em) while other need momentary footswitches.

chances are your boss will work. Can't harm anything by trying it out.

Comment

I had that amp and as far as I remember it was a standard latching footswitch. A cheap 2 button switch from Peavey or similar should do the job. How are you getting on with the amp ?

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                      I had that amp and as far as I remember it was a standard latching footswitch. A cheap 2 button switch from Peavey or similar should do the job. How are you getting on with the amp ?
                      Ok, I'll try it out, I have the footswitch coming in a few days so we will see.

I actually really like the amp. The overdrive on it sounds like a thinner TS9 and I don't like it. The reverb is good for subtle stuff, sounds really nice for that actually but once you get any bigger verb going it sounds too wet I guess.

I like the amp a lot though. Basically I use it just as a loud warm sounding clean amp. It sounds really good with pedals in front and even just plugging in, the cleans are really really nice. I thought about getting another. I paid $145 for this one and I saw another come up in better condition for $150. There was also one that someone beat to hell that was at $130 but yeah. They come up more often than I would expect anyway. I should buy another soon.

Comment

There is actually a few from the same series on Guitar Centers website now.

A mint 50 watt 1x12 for $200. meh
                        A good cond 50 watt 1x12 for $130.
                        A 50 watt 410 for $160. Not bad.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                          All footswitches are not innerchangeable. For one example is the Fender which uses diodes to create different voltages for switching. The Boss you've shown is a simple latching pedal. To test, put a cable into the jack then jumper the other end barrel to tip w/ a wire and alligator clip. I'm assuming you don't have access to a schematic???
                          Try that before you receive your footswitch andrew, that'll tell you ahead of time if you need to start looking for another FS.

A latching footswitch achieves channel switching by either connecting or disconnecting the sleeve and tip of a standard mono-patch cable. That test described by IM4tone will tell you right away if the latching FS you're waiting for will work or not.

Comment

My buddy is looking for his old Yamaha footswitch. Someone stole his amp long ago but didn't take the switch, hopefully he can find it.

Comment

Yup, the footswitch works, changing channels and turning the reverb on off.

Comment

Working...
                              X