Lower powered tube amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower powered tube amp?

I use a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue for most gigs, it's a 40-watt 1x12" all tube amp. It's got a great sound, especially when cranked up a bit, but it's just too loud...the volume basically goes from totally off to about 2.5, and it's too much for certain venues. So I am interested in a lower wattage amp that I can crank up a bit and get some nice tube tone out of. I'm into Fender-style cleans, I get my OD/Dist from pedals, so single channel is fine (although a gain channel is fine too). Fender does make some smaller amps, but they don't have an effects loop, which is kind of a deal-breaker for me...I have a fairly extensive pedalboard with a bunch of stuff I use in the loop.

Also, something reasonably priced...not looking for the high $$ boutique stuff!!

So, I'm thinking in the 10-20 watt range (switchable is good too)...any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Lower powered tube amp?

You could also consider an attenuator.

Comment

I thought about that...but they're not cheap (at least, the ones you put between the power amp and speaker aren't), and I'm not sure how they affect the tone. The volume pot-box in the effects loop would be cheap, but I figure that really has to suck tone...anyone have any experience with that? I guess I figured a lower-powered amp might do the trick and sound better...

Comment

Koch Studiotone
        Vox Night Train (single channel but, with some pedals, you are done)
        Mesa boogie 5/25

Or... you can use a less efficient speaker, that can tame the loudness.
        If your speaker delivers 100 dB, and you choose one with 97 dB, it's quite well the same as using an amp of half the power.
        From 50W to 100W there is just an increasse of +3dB so... can you try with other less efficient speaker... maybe a friend of you?.
        My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
        My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Take your amp in to the tech, and have him replace the linear taper volume pots with good audio taper volume pots...problem goes away, and you post about how much you love your amp since the mod.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

What guitfiddle said. Also, you are not going to achieve your desired result by buying a lower wattage amp. It's all about the speaker - how efficient it is and how much air it's pushing. I've got a 5E3 Deluxe with a vintage 12" Jensen P12Q in it. That amp is only 12 watts and it'll take your face off when turned up. I have to use an attenuator on it if I want to overdrive it at gigs.
            That being said, the HRD has a reputation for being a loud amp. The volume pot mod would be a good start (something Fender FINALLY cured themselves on the HRD III). I used to have a Deville and I know exactly what you mean when it goes from 0 to 100 in about an 1/8th of an inch movement on the knob. Wide speculation is that Fender did this to sell more amps. A person plugs in at the store and thinks, "HOLY COW! IF IT'S THIS LOUD ON 2 JUST IMAGINE WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE ON 10!" Only thing is the knob is useless above 3 because it doesn't get any louder.
            If you're determined to get a lower powered amp, then you also need a smaller or less efficient speaker as well. Something like a Princeton reissue maybe.
            -
            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

You could consider the Super Sonic 22, it has a loop and maintains that Fender sound.
              Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                You could consider the Super Sonic 22, it has a loop and maintains that Fender sound.
                Just as loud as an HRD.
                -
                My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I hate those kind of pots, may as well just have an on button with no volume control.

Comment

I am gassing for a tiny terror combo which is 15w switchable to 7 w

but runner up combo is the laney

both are about 30 pounds if you put an eminence tonkerlite speaker in em

Comment

I went with a really cheap attenuator (Weber Load Dump 25W) and yes it kills a little highs but between my guitar, pedals, and amp, I make up for it (with a DRRI I've never had a shortage on treble).

I can knock the sound of the amp on 5 to about the perceived volume of the amp on 3 and that's what I wanted.

When I attenuate full blown tube overdrive to bedroom levels it gets muddy, compressed, and the texture of the dirt feels kinda sputtery and fizzy, so I usually don't use the attenuator like that. But using it like a "half power" switch has worked out.

Comment

Simple a Zinky Blue Velvet.
                        GREAT cleans and smoking crunches with the ability to get simply breath taking tones at whisper levels.
                        Not cheap but so bullet proof in construction they have a transferable lifetime warranty.
                        I gig out with mine at least once a week and have for a few years now. I get constant comments on my tone and it never ceases to amaze the sound guys!
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                          Simple a Zinky Blue Velvet.
                          GREAT cleans and smoking crunches with the ability to get simply breath taking tones at whisper levels.
                          Not cheap but so bullet proof in construction they have a transferable lifetime warranty.
                          I gig out with mine at least once a week and have for a few years now. I get constant comments on my tone and it never ceases to amaze the sound guys!
                          are these still made?? they are pricey tho, right?

Never mind, I found the website and answered both questions... You tube clips sounds really good!
                          Last edited by BloodRose; 11-11-2012, 12:35 AM.
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                          X