banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Put NOS GE 12ax7's in the Vox Night Train: WOW!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Put NOS GE 12ax7's in the Vox Night Train: WOW!!!

In my experience VOX amps love NOS (or just old brand tubes) in my families household we have a 74 AC30 with RCA blackplates and that sound amazing but the biggest improvement was blackplates RCAs in my brothers AC15 totally changed it more 3D less low end fartyness (for lack of better word) just fuller chimier and nicer overall. Got them all on eBay used (so not NOS) and some werent great but its worth the gamble when you find the right ones.
    Gondola Kid
    Bandcamp
    Facebook
    JimijaymesGuitarist
    Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      When I bought it she was loaded with EH6V6's and 12AX7's and a Sovtek 5AR4...not bad tubes at all but I know that an amp like that would sound even better with some killer old glass, I've just never felt the need to mess with it!
      The EH 6V6GT has the same problem as the EH EL84. Tone-wise, they are probably the closest to the original sound of current production tubes but: they don't cut the mix. Both seems to have a negative dimensionality and, the sound seems to como from the back side of the cab, instead of jumping in the front.

Tone-wise, the Tung Sol 6V6GT is maybe less correct sounding but, it cuts way better than the EH and has more dimensionality.

Anyway, I realized that all my 6V6T loaded amps never satisfy me, since they hardly cut the mix. They tend to sound awesome alone but, they tend to be lost in the mix. Maybe I need some EQ pedal.

So, IMHO, if you have real NOS 6V6s there, throw them in your amp, FFS!.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

Originally posted by hermetico View Post
        The EH 6V6GT has the same problem as the EH EL84. Tone-wise, they are probably the closest to the original sound of current production tubes but: they don't cut the mix. Both seems to have a negative dimensionality and, the sound seems to como from the back side of the cab, instead of jumping in the front.

Tone-wise, the Tung Sol 6V6GT is maybe less correct sounding but, it cuts way better than the EH and has more dimensionality.

Anyway, I realized that all my 6V6T loaded amps never satisfy me, since they hardly cut the mix. They tend to sound awesome alone but, they tend to be lost in the mix. Maybe I need some EQ pedal.

So, IMHO, if you have real NOS 6V6s there, throw them in your amp, FFS!.
        This is the first time I've ever seen anyone blame not cutting through the mix on the brand of power tube...

The Deluxe in question stands out in the mi just fine...it's the freqs that amp produces, it's all int he midrange and add to that a late 60's alnico G12 Celestion and I have no issues being heard in even the most dense of band settings.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone blame not cutting through the mix on the brand of power tube...

The Deluxe in question stands out in the mi just fine...it's the freqs that amp produces, it's all int he midrange and add to that a late 60's alnico G12 Celestion and I have no issues being heard in even the most dense of band settings.
          Saying Celestion you say everything.
          6V6 little amps are usually paired with Jensen.
          And, if you have oportunity, make your own tests comparing EH and Tung Sol 6V6GT tubes.
          I feel at home with EL84s and EL34s, paired with Celestions.
          Just my experience and, my taste. You haven't to share it, I haven't to share yours.

Comment

Saying Celestion you say everything.
            6V6 little amps are usually paired with Jensen.
            And, if you have oportunity, make your own tests comparing EH and Tung Sol 6V6GT tubes.
            I feel at home with EL84s and EL34s, paired with Celestions.
            Just my experience and, my taste. You haven't to share it, I haven't to share yours.
            IMO, the right speaker for a brown Deluxe like Christian's is hard to decide on. It's a great amp and this particular one used to be mine and always reminded me of the Marshall sound in my head.

First brown Deluxe I ever fell in love with was Ted Nugent's! I spent a few hours with Ted in Hell. Hell, Michigan that is. That's where his home and ranch was in 1970 and maybe still is.

In any case, Ted had an Electro Voice SRO 12 in his and we took turns jamming through it. Sounded great!

When I got my own brown Deluxe it came as a head. No cabinet and no speaker. So I built a nice dovetailed solid cherry cabinet for it and tried it with quite a few speakers.

Like I said: the two best sounding speakers with the brown Deluxe were the '58 Jensen P12Q and the Celestion G12 alnico.

At the time, Ted Weber was sending Bruce and I speakers for testing and we tried Ted's own versions of the Jensen C12N and Celestion Vintage 30 among others. And also a real Vintage 30 and a vintage G12M greenback I had.

The '58 Jensen P12Q and the '60-something Celestion G12 alnico I had always sounded better.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Putting that Deluxe in a pine cab made a big difference.

I Liked it with a Greenback and like it with the G12 alnico...

One day I'll stop being lazy and try a nice old cone alnico Jensen with it...I played a brown Deluxe a few years back that had the original P12R in it and it sounded really good but I think I'd have liked a Q or N even better.

I keep saying I want to try the EJ signature speaker form Eminence too as well as an alnico Tone Tubby but for now I just call it a day with the G12!
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                IMO, the right speaker for a brown Deluxe like Christian's is hard to decide on. It's a great amp and this particular one used to be mine and always reminded me of the Marshall sound in my head.

First brown Deluxe I ever fell in love with was Ted Nugent's! I spent a few hours with Ted in Hell. Hell, Michigan that is. That's where his home and ranch was in 1970 and maybe still is.

In any case, Ted had an Electro Voice SRO 12 in his and we took turns jamming through it. Sounded great!

When I got my own brown Deluxe it came as a head. No cabinet and no speaker. So I built a nice dovetailed solid cherry cabinet for it and tried it with quite a few speakers.

Like I said: the two best sounding speakers with the brown Deluxe were the '58 Jensen P12Q and the Celestion G12 alnico.

At the time, Ted Weber was sending Bruce and I speakers for testing and we tried Ted's own versions of the Jensen C12N and Celestion Vintage 30 among others. And also a real Vintage 30 and a vintage G12M greenback I had.

The '58 Jensen P12Q and the '60-something Celestion G12 alnico I had always sounded better.
                Yup, the Jensen P12Q is not the same as the typical C10R that cames stock with the Princeton RIby example. I've inmediatelly upgraded it with a Webber 10A150T speaker. But, for the money, I think I better went for some Greenback.
                Two amps I've got with Jensens came with a P12R and a C10R that I didn't liked. Sure, N or Q are other thing.
                Last edited by hermetico; 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Putting that Deluxe in a pine cab made a big difference.

I Liked it with a Greenback and like it with the G12 alnico...

One day I'll stop being lazy and try a nice old cone alnico Jensen with it...I played a brown Deluxe a few years back that had the original P12R in it and it sounded really good but I think I'd have liked a Q or N even better.

I keep saying I want to try the EJ signature speaker form Eminence too as well as an alnico Tone Tubby but for now I just call it a day with the G12!
                  Yes. I learned that I like the look of cherry but not the sound of cherry.

But I had two of those amps for a while Christian. One in the stock pine cab and one in the cherry cab I built.

You're right. The pine cab sounded better.

Comment

Yup, the Jensen P12Q is not the same as the typical C10R that cames stock with the Princeton RIby example. I've inmediatelly upgraded it with a Webber 10A150T speaker. But, for the money, I think I better went for some Greenback.
                    Two amps I've got with Jensens came with a P12R and a C10R that I didn't liked. Sure, N or Q are other thing.
                    My favorite amp for slide and lap steel is my 50's Gibson GA20 and it came to me with the stock P12R. Sounds ridiculously great! Ry Cooder uses one too.

Not sure I'd love it as much in any other amp I have, but in that amp it's wonderful. Breaks up beautifully.

Comment

You know, I remember I added a little treble bleed cap to the Night Train, in the picofarad range. It just took a bit of the edge off without losing the sparkle. Glad you guys are enjoying it!
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                      Originally posted by Securb
                      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                        You know, I remember I added a little treble bleed cap to the Night Train, in the picofarad range. It just took a bit of the edge off without losing the sparkle. Glad you guys are enjoying it!
                        AJ loves it! Really loves it. And it sounds great through his 16 ohm two 10" cabinet. Much better than it sounds through my 8 ohm Celestion.

How you liking the Sovtek Mig 50? My brother Bruce is a little miffed that he put all of that work into it and then AJ traded it away. He'll get over it.

Comment

Working...
                        X