amp techs help effects loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp techs help effects loop

I have a amp that when a engage to effects loop a lose 99% of my sound. The bypass works fine. If I pluf my guitar straight into the return with with loop engaged it bypasses the preamp as it should and when I put it into bypass mode it cuts out like it should. However I also get signal with the loop on if I plug directly into the send but it is about half volume.

Any ideas? Bad wiring or install a new loop? I replaced the bypass switch already. It does have a level switch. Also if sombody was willing to talk to me I will pm you my # or email. Thanks

Re: amp techs help effects loop

I'm jack
    Hi Jack
    Do you ever think about jack
    you should

When I get home I'll go into detail
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

OK......... thanks?

Comment

What amp are we talking about?
        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Titan custom

Comment

You have dirty send/return jacks
            Q-tip and alcohol (rubbing not drinking .... ahem jer)
            Genty bath your jacks
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
              Titan custom
              You know that amp has a lifetime warranty, right? I'd use it. If you're not the original owner...well, that may not matter. Most boutique builders don't like the idea of their amp functioning improperly and will give you a hand in the interest of their reputation.

Since I don't know what type of loop that amp has in it, I'm not going to be of much help. I'd try cleaning the jacks as previously mentioned but in the end, I'd probably email Zack at Titan and have him diagnose it.
              Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

it has had the jacks cleaned. yes i am aware of the warranty. i am the original owner. i have been in contact with zack....... its complicated.
                it has a iron sounds solid state effects loop.

thanks for the help so far guys

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine View Post
                  I have a amp that when a engage to effects loop a lose 99% of my sound. The bypass works fine. If I pluf my guitar straight into the return with with loop engaged it bypasses the preamp as it should and when I put it into bypass mode it cuts out like it should. However I also get signal with the loop on if I plug directly into the send but it is about half volume.

Any ideas? Bad wiring or install a new loop? I replaced the bypass switch already. It does have a level switch. Also if sombody was willing to talk to me I will pm you my # or email. Thanks
                  Your description is not quite clear. Did you try running a short cable from the Send to the Return and A/B-ing the levels between FX/Bypass mode? When you do so, do you get a quieter signal, or is it also distorted or changed in tone? Is the sound constant or intermittent?

If the cables you are using are known to be good and you've had the jacks cleaned, you could be looking at broken wiring inside the amp, or a failing effect send driver. If you're comfortable working on amps (and can't just send it in for warranty service) you could check for bad connections or cold solder joints inside the amp. If that all checks out, you may need to repair your effect loop driver.
                  Originally posted by DreX
                  Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                  The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                  There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                  Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                  I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

yes i have tried connecting a cable between the 2. i am thinking about buying a new fx loop for 70 bucks and installing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X