Voodoo Lab Giggity: My video review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo Lab Giggity: My video review

Here is my humble review... Hope you guys like it, and it would be of some use to some of you some time...

- 2001 Fender Stratocaster, American Series, Ash Body, Maple/Rosewood Neck, Duncan Jerry Donahue Tele Lead pickup in the bridge (you read it correct... I have a tele lead pickup in the bridge of my strat) Fralin Vintage Hot (%5 underwound) neck and middle strat pickups.
    - Fender Blues Jr. (Volume ~5, Bass and Treble ~12 (i.e. full on), Mids ~9, Master ~12; Celestion G12H30 Speaker, 1998 MIA Amp - Green Board, JAN Phillips 5751-v1 and JJ Valves)
    - DrZ Brake Lite Attenuator
    - EMU 1616m
    - Shure SM57 (off axis) and Prodipe TT1 Pro (on axis)

B

PS. I thought I was shooting it 16:9... I dunno what went wrong... Gotta buy a new cam and computer...
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Re: Voodoo Lab Giggity: My video review

I received my Giggity yesterday (After ordering it in June - it was a really good deal or I wouldnt have waited)

All I can say - If you like EJ, you can get in the ballpark with this pedal easily even at a very low volume. Also dinking with some old Sabbath-esque stuff, getting a warmness I remember hearing in on the early Sabbath recordings.

Comment

maybe im a leo!

Comment

Interesting demo.

You're using it more like a booster...not sure I'd use it the same way but your clips does have me more interested than I was before I watched it!

Great playing Doc!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

How do you like it against other pedals you have, which we know?

I found it interesting that they used the Giggity along with the EJ Fuzz Face in a demo to show how good the FF could sound.

I always like your clips because you run it through it's paces the way I always do, and it's easier to see what's going on with the pedal that way.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

I found it interesting that they used the Giggity along with the EJ Fuzz Face in a demo to show how good the FF could sound.

I always like your clips because you run it through it's paces the way I always do, and it's easier to see what's going on with the pedal that way.
            Thats part of what I was talking about....James designed it not as a boost but as a tone changer of sorts...

The Giggity was designed to turn your Twin Reverb into a Marshall or your Telecaster into a Les Paul or your 335 into a Strat kind of unit.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Um - not so much a review as you moving knobs and playing riffs. I'd have liked some words.

However, tasty licks and interesting tones!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                maybe im a leo!

Love the song!

B

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  Interesting demo.

You're using it more like a booster...not sure I'd use it the same way but your clips does have me more interested than I was before I watched it!

Great playing Doc!
                  Thanks man, happy that you like the playing!

I have an attenuator, Dr.Z Brake Lite, in my amp. So am killing 11dB of output, and I can say that it is quite transparent. Frankly speaking, I don't get pedal demos done at low volumes with a tube amp which is intended to be used with at least some saturation (Of course if the pedal is designed for a "twin" then yeah... it can be tested on low vols you know...). Because it may be quite misleading. At low volumes the amp is not that much part of the equation you know. But at high volumes which I'd say the main use of the pedal, the amp (tubes and its others specifics) will be quite important. In fact, many of the pedals sorta create very similar results at high vols, yet at low volumes the kinda seem to be different.

I'd say that this pedal can kinda change the shape of the amp a bit. I would not say, it can make a Plexi or JTM45 out of a Blues Jr. (at high vols). It does not work. The best I could do in that regard was that "maybe I am a leo"... See? Yet, it can manage to turn it into a more tweed sorta amp (after all Blues Jr. is often referred to as "Bassman's small cousin"). And "brown sugar" was sorta aimed to display this assessment of mine. It could take the Blues Jr. into a bit more "blackface" kinda area, which I tried to display in the beginning of the vid. The shimmer thing you know...

All these are my 2 cents of course, and aimed to help people... I sorta goes without saying, yet, wanted to make sure that everybody knows...

Hope this helps. And let me know if you have more questions bro.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

Thanks man, I really appreciate this!

That's a good question. I mean, the results it produces with other pedals ... fuzz and TS...

Even though I am still learning, I can say that it can manage to "simulate" (whatever that means you know) the good old "tubescreamer into a Blackface" tone on a Blues Jr. Quite good I'd say. What I do is to put Giggity at the end of the signal, and have a setting where the shimmer is high, body is sorta low... And use my MJM phantom (I love this pedal!!!) in front of the Giggity... I should have shot this!

The fuzz... Well I dunno. I have to see into it you know. Have a Sunface and that'd do the job in this regard.

B

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Um - not so much a review as you moving knobs and playing riffs. I'd have liked some words.

However, tasty licks and interesting tones!
                      Thanks.

I myself don't like demos with lotsa talking... Of course when done right, it is very good!

B

Comment

See - I just don't quite get what this thing is. Seems like a slightly boost/gritty acoustic exciter to me. Which is cool...
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                        X