NPD T Rex Viper score!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD T Rex Viper score!

2012 for me has been a year of buying cool pedals. I've been happy with all my guitars, amps, pedals, and pickups, but wanted to explore pedals more this year.

In 2012, I've acquired the JB Wah, JB Fuzz Face, Eric Johnson Fuzz Face, Strymon Lex, Digitech Hyper Phase, Fulltone Octafuzz II, Fryette SAS, Go Go Pedal Tuner, and Boss DD-7 Delay, Harmonist, and Super Chorus.

I used to have a vibe pedal, the gold Fulltone Deja Vibe, but sold it to old forum member MRID. I'd always wanted another, and was contemplating the Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe or Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe. I never pulled the trigger on them though.

So today, I went to GC Sherman Oaks and stumbled upon a used T Rex Viper for a measly $96 in perfect condition. Keep in mind this is a $340 pedal, and I already knew T Rex pedals were great......I have an original Mudhoney and love it.

I tried the Viper vibe pedal, and thought it sounded great at the store, so I bought it. Actually, I have to wait a month to pick it up, since it's on a police hold.....it's on layaway now.

After getting home, I was stoked to find out that it was made with a photo-cell, just like the Deja Vibe and original Uni Vibe. I was happy to know that T Rex did it right, not like a faux recreation, which I thought I was buying at first. I also found out it's been discontinued for some reason, which makes it more collectible. For $96, I'm glad I jumped on it.

Gotta wait a month, but I'm happy to finally have a real vibe pedal again. My Strymon Lex does a better Leslie, but the T Rex Viper will give me the authentic Uni Vibe sound. It's a great sounding unit!

It looks even better in person, with the white snakeskin look. T Rex puts really high quality finishes on their pedals.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 11-11-2012, 11:08 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: NPD T Rex Viper score!

Nice score! T-Rex makes some great pedals, and the snakeskin looks sharp. That photocell design sounds like the way to go - analog goodness, for sure. You'll have to post a full review once you've had it for awhile.

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    I tried the Viper vibe pedal, and thought it sounded great at the store, so I bought it. Actually, I have to wait a month to pick it up, since it's on a police hold.....it's on layaway now.

Gotta wait a month, but I'm happy to finally have a real vibe pedal again.
    What's this all about? I was just in GC in Framingham MA and they had signs out saying they now have to hold all used gear for 30 days. This is a new policy that I was told was forced on them by the local police department. But it makes no sense - as I understand it, they have to lay away for at least 30 days on any used purchase? This seems to be independent of how long the item has been sitting in the store already. I haven't seen if they are doing this at other area GCs.

Is the 30-day hold policy new out there in CA, or have they always done this? It kinda sucks because if I wanted to wait between purchase and play, I'd just buy everything online. It takes the fun out of shopping at a brick-and-mortar when you can't walk out the door with the goods.

You'd think they would have a better way of determining whether they are reselling stolen goods than to inconvenience customers like that. Layaway sucks for an impulse buyer like me!
    Originally posted by DreX
    Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
    The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
    There's no substance to anything I have posted.
    Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
    I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

The GC in my area has had that policy for at least 5 years that I know of. It's nothing that they have any control over, though.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Cool...

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

The 30 day hold has been the policy for guitar stores and pawnshops for as long as I can remember. When the store takes something in, they have to ID the seller, and maybe even finger print them. It's the police dept's way of preventing people from fencing stolen gear. If the serial number pops up on the stolen list, the gear is returned to the rightful owner, and the police have the ID of the thief.

It's a big hassle for the new buyer for sure. I always go to my local stores looking at their used gear, and it's usually desirable pieces that just came in. Sometimes it's kind of nice, because layaway allows me to just put down $40. The money can always be shifted to credit, or another item, and is always fully refundable.

There's a lot of people dumping good gear at GC nowadays, and they mark it surprisingly low. The only bummer is having to wait a few weeks to actually bring it home.
          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Cool score...$96 well spent!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

$96.. wow, I bet you signed for the pedal as Dick Turpin! I really like the demo.

Comment

I shouldn't be spending any more money on gear before the Holidays, but it's tempting.
                Someone dumped all their T Rex pedals at that store really cheap. They have a Dr. Swamp, Alberta, and Moller OD for $100, and some of the more expensive ones like the Replica and Hobo Drive for $160.

I should go back and put $40 down on another one.

Comment

Yeah I'd like the Replica and for that price it's a no brainer! I can't spend anymore for a long time... or at least that's the idea!

Comment

Well, I couldn't resist so I went back today and tried out the Dr. Swamp Distortion and Moller dual mode OD. I ended up choosing the Moller for $96 and put $40 down on that. The Moller is $280 new, and this one is mint.

So, in a month I get to pick up my two T Rex pedals. That's over $650 worth of pedals for $210. Yeah!!!

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 11-12-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

You're on a roll!
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I want one of those so bad my nuts hurt!

$96???? WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I will Donkey punch you and take that next time I see you!

Lucky dog. You suck.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                          You're on a roll!
                          It's not "a roll" if you are always on it.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

^Crybaby....

Comment

Working...
                            X